Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ReKindel Love WHERE? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rekindel-love-where-369341/)

little Oct 16th, 2003 02:16 PM

ReKindel Love WHERE?

Hello Fodors People.I am hoping someone could be kind enough to give there imput. I am from Canada and am looking for a 3-4day mini holiday to rekindel our long relationship. We are 40 and it has been awhile for us highschool sweethearts, so I would love to surprise my hubby with a mini getaway in Nov, Dec or Jan. Open to any suggestions you may have..Thanks ahead.

clarkgriswold Oct 16th, 2003 02:18 PM

There are some great fares from Boston to London for November and January. Some as low as $300 round trip.

TedTurner Oct 16th, 2003 03:14 PM

Carmel, CA
Big Sur, CA
Lake Tahoe, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Fe, NM
Charleston, SC

Although if it were me, I'd prefer someplace with guaranteed warmth, like the Caribbean, though you may find the travel time prohibitive.

Ally75 Oct 16th, 2003 07:46 PM

Green Gables Inn in Montery, Calif. Although, it might be a bit cold the time of year you're looking at. But, the parlor has a lovely fireplace!

babette Oct 17th, 2003 01:01 AM

I think TedTurner has the right idea with Big Sur. The Ventana Inn has wonderful rooms with fireplaces and private jacuzzis on your deck.

aquaman Oct 17th, 2003 05:15 AM

Three or four days is too short to traverse the continent, so it depends on where you are from in Canada.

Western Canada? I'd definitely suggest California. Carmel/Monterrey is a beautiful area. I was there in March and found the weather pleasant (a light sweater was sufficient).

Eastern Canada? Miami Beach. Hot sun, nice beaches, beautiful people, Cuban music. (Since this is the US forum, I assume you only want US destinations, but I've heard great things about Bermuda, having never been myself.)

Central Canada? lucky you, you get to pick which way you want to go.

LN Oct 17th, 2003 07:29 AM

If you'd just like to get away - then you might consider one of those three beautiful cities in your own country. Montreal, Quebec, and Vancouver. I don't know what section of Canada that you live in but I truly love the romance of both Montreal and Quebec. They have such lovely hotels that I would like to just go there, sightsee around town, find lovely, little restaurants and stay at a romantic hotel.

We stayed at the Queen La Reine in Montreal once and I loved it! We were on the concierge level, looking out over this magnificient city. Talking about it makes me want to go back!

If you want US - you might try Washington DC, Annapolis MD, or NYC. They're all great cities.

Gekko Oct 17th, 2003 07:44 AM

A 2nd vote for New York City. Very romantic, a great place to rekindle.

JoeG Oct 17th, 2003 07:53 AM

I surprised my wife with a trip to New York for her 40th birthday after avoiding it my whole life. We've been back 4 times since. Book a room at the Hotel Intercontinnetal Central Park South with a park view. Dinners, shows, shopping, museums - what's more romantic than that? Especially over the Holidays.
JoeG

JohnD Oct 17th, 2003 08:19 AM

I would check out ((#))sunny, ((H))warm, Cancun((D)) where it is easy to encounter a romantic
<):)mariachi<):) serenade((L))

JoeG Oct 17th, 2003 08:29 AM

JohnD

Kudos to Mr Subliminal!

JoeG

JeanG Oct 17th, 2003 10:18 AM

Actually if you are going to go to Cancun, November is a good time as it's their low season. We went there in mid-November and pratically had the beach to ourselves.

Bermuda is too cold Nov-Jan.