The Villages, Florida visit worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my husband and I start thinking about retirement and leaving NJ we are trying to visit different states that are "good" for retirees. We came across "The Villages" in central Florida (south of Ocala) and they have a "visit" deal. It says it's $100/nite for 4-7 nites but they give you back $75/ day to spend at the restaurants, golf, etc. We supposedly would be in a 2 bedroom villa. Has anyone done this? How much time would be subjected to "pressure" to buy?
Does anyone on this forum live there or have info. as to retiring there?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:42 AM
jon

I had a friend who worked there and it seemed like it was a really nice place to retire. Lots of activities.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:13 AM
LN

Hi

We stopped and visited friends who retired to "The Villages" and it's impressive. There are golf courses through the community - each new area is developed around a golf course. A neat small town atmosphere is projected in their downtown area and also a large polo stadium was built for matches. There appeared to be various priced homes available so it would probably be a great place to look into. About the only problem that I could find with it is that it's inland and I like living by the water.

How can you go wrong with a deal like they're offering to go and see it?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

We do have to arrange airfare so it's not a total "freeby." That's why we're wondering how much time we would have on our own.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:31 AM

My brother in law and sister in law just signed a K to buy a place there. They visited on their own for their first visit, decided they really liked it (they are golf nuts) and then went on the freebie visit, which they enjoyed very much. the pressure wasnt there as they had already decided they wanted to buy a place-it was just a matter of how big and where. My in laws are very methodical, thorough and detail oriented (we have teased them of being a bit anal on more than one ocassion.)and I'm sure they really researched this out. As an asisde, upon their return from Florida, after signing the K, my BIL got very sick-he is still in the hospital and the Villages has been really accomodating in rescheduling their building plans until he is well enough to focus on it.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Rachel,
Would you mind telling me from what state are your in-laws? We're from NJ and am worried about the weather there (humidity, hurricanes, etc.)

We're encouraged about their positive experience re: his illness and change in plans.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:41 AM

They currently live in central IL, but have lived in Pittsburgh, Geneva (Switzerland) and Hong Kong. Also, just a coincidnece, but my neighbors (outside of buffalo. ny, but they are originally from long island)are also looking at the Villages and following our in-laws adventure. Good luck.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:57 AM

My parents live there, and have for 2 years now. The only negative I see about it is that The Villages have become huge! Originally, it was only a few "villages", now it is actually it's own town, with lots of shopping areas, post office, churches, golf courses. If you are looking for a small community, this would not be the place to pick. However, it is very active, golf, pools, polo, and lots of free activities to attend at "the square".

They also did the "preview" visit, and were not pressured. They fell in love with it and wanted to buy. Since then, a few of their friends have also moved in and like it there.

They are originally from Maine, where it is obviously much cooler. They did not want the heat and humidity you might find further south, which factored into their decision. It was in the low 90's when they left last week.

The villas are also very nice, so even if you aren't interested in buying, it's a nice place to stay. They are centrally located near the town center.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

To Tasha or anyone who knows,
I didn't see my last question so maybe I did something wrong. Anyhow, are you familiar with the lake at the Villages? Is it man made? Are boats allowed? Or is there more than one lake?
Thanks.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I don't remember seeing any lakes that would be for boats. There were some small lakes with golf cart bridges going over them. More for looks than anything else. (Lots of ducks....)

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Not to discourage you, but I know plenty of people here in Orlando who are from NJ originally, moved to Central Florida years ago, and intend to return to NJ to retire! By all means come and visit, but you might want to visit in the summer so you can see how unbelievably hot and humid it is here from May thru October.

The Villages looks nice when I pass the area, but there are a lot more in Florida just like it.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:26 PM

I have a friend who moved there from Philly area. She loves it. Has made many friends, golfs, and is on the go all the time. They have shows and many activities. They also have a video. She knew someone that had moved there and went to visit. She then moved also. No complaints from her. I would need to be near the ocean. If that is not a requirement then it is worth checking out.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Postal,
We are going in August (just booked our plane!) because we DO want to see what the weather is like. Do you have any suggestions of "similar" places perhaps on the west coast?
Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:25 AM

Years ago, my parents took the same kind of trip to Ocala. They bought in a development called Pine Run (this was a long time ago - and Pine Run was the new place). They moved there from DC - and really loved it. THey have since passed away, but they always liked living there. My sister just moved down to that area from Baltimore and absolutely loves it. You get used to the heat. I think you're smart to go there in August since that's probably the worst month. As far as the West Coast - it is different. Ocala is specifically a retirement area. The West Coast isn't as much - but I'm sure there are communities there. I would just search on "retirement community" and florida and find the ones near West Coast towns..... I've seen the Villages - they are pretty, and they are getting big.....
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:51 AM

While you are visiting the Villages, also check out The Plantation, about 30 minutes south of The Villages on Route 27. The Plantation bills itself as "The Villages without the congestion." (their web site is www.theplantation.com)
We have family members living at The Plantation and they like it very much. They had looked at The Villages but found it just a little too crowded. But many people do really enjoy life at The Villages.