Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommended guidebooks, travel books, or handbooks for travel to Boston and surrounding areas

Recommended guidebooks, travel books, or handbooks for travel to Boston and surrounding areas

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Darlene

Planning our first trip to Boston for 10 days. What travel books, guidebooks, etc. do you recommend as "can't do without" once we arrive in the city? Any good maps available would be helpful too.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 11:08 AM
Donna

One of my favorites is the Access Guide to Boston - great maps; everthing organized by neighborhood.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Jen

I agree with Donna - when I moved to Boston 4 years ago - that was my guide. As for maps, I still carry 'Streetwise Boston'. It's a small, laminated map that is WONDERFUL.

Feel free to e-mail me separately with Boston questions! I'd be happy to help.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 11:33 AM
lisa

I used Frommer's New England book for a trip from Boston to Maine and it never steered me wrong -- excellent recommendations on places to stay and eat!

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 04:20 PM
Jenny

"the Idiot's guide to Boston." It's written in lay terms and is the most complete and easy to read.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 04:17 AM
angel

Darlene -- Not related for travel, but to help you get in the Boston mood, you might be interested in the Linda Barnes books. These are a series of mysteries featuring "Carlotta Carlyle," an investigator who sometimes drives a cab.