Reload this Page >

Recommended Activities in the Tetons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:56 AM
Reda

My family (kids ages 10 & 14) will be at Signal Mountain Lodge the later part of July for three nights before going on to Yellowstone. Any recommendations on what to do and where to eat? Should we drive back to Jackson to eat some? We live on a lake in Texas so we are not going to be interested in renting boats or lake cruises. Our kids are great hikers - so any recommended trails and do you use guides?

Thanks,
Reda

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 05:55 AM
Becky

You will love Signal Mountain. We stayed there a few years ago. Be sure to do the Jenny Lake hike. You ride a ferry across a lake, then hike to a beautiful waterfall, and can also hike up to a nice overlook. Pretty long and strenuous to the top. The best thing that we did was to take bottled water and sandwiches, snacks, etc. so that we could eat by the waterfall. Also we enjoyed a river rafting sunset trip that included a nice dinner at the end. We never went into Jackson. We took a cooler with us and usually ate sandwiches for lunch. Also had casual dinners at Colter Bay and at Jackson Lake Lodge.

We rented a pontoon boat at Signal Mountain and cruised the beautiful lake hoping to glimpse bears on the shore--we didn't! It was pretty cool, even in late July. We wore jackets on the boat.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:33 AM
Neil

My family and I stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge for 3 nights last summer. We really enjoyed the Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point hike. You can either take a launch across Jenny Lake to the trailhead or you can walk around the lake. If your kids are strong hikers, you can continue on into Cascade Canyon. I also recommend spending some time at the Oxbow and at the Willow Flats overlook behind Jackson Lake Lodge. Both are great places to see wildlife, especially moose in the early evening.
We used a guidebook called Family Hikes in Yellowstone and the Tetons (or something like that). You can find it at Amazon. Another good source for hiking info is the National Parks website (www.nps.gov).
Your 10 year old might enjoy the junior ranger program. When you arrive at the park, pick up the junior ranger materials at a visitor center. There are activities for your child to do while in the park, and if a certain number are completed he or she can turn it in and become a junior park ranger.
We spent an afternoon white water rafting on the Snake River just south of Jackson--there are a number of outfitters (e.g., Sands Whitewater or Mad River Trips). It was one of the highlights of our trip and your kids will probably love it. You could then have dinner in Jackson afterwards; there are lots of restaurants there.
We enjoyed eating at the Mural Room in Jackson Lake Lodge. It was on the expensive side, but the views are amazing. Its also very family friendly.
Have a great trip.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 07:07 AM
Bob Brown

There are several good hikes in the Tetons. I do not know them all, but these are the ones I have taken:
Amphitheater Lake
Cascade Canyon with Hidden Falls
Death Canyon

Of the three, I suggest Amphitheater Lake if you are in shape to do it.
It is a stiff climb, but the views are terrific. The lake itself is tucked away under the summit of the Grand Teton, which is still about 4,500 feet above you at the lake.
Also, drive to Signal Mountain itself. I think it gives the best view of the entire Teton Range. If you take pictures and have a light meter, you will need to bracket the shot. I have taken quite a few pictures from Signal Mountain and only one or two of them have had the correct exposure.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:03 AM
howard

Make sure you catch the sunset from Signal Mountain.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:14 AM
Dr. Betty

Jenny Lake Lodge is a wonderful place to eat. Make reservations now. A few years ago my family complete with 2 teenagers went and rented a cabin at Slide Lake. We brought our blow up boats and paddled around and floated in the lakes at the foot of the Tetons. There is just nothing that can compare to a sunny day, lying comfortably in the boat, staring up at those magnificent mountains and taking brief, refreshing dunks in the water. Also, there are always bear sightings which adds to the excitement. They suggest you wear bells to let them know you're coming (no kidding).
Have a great time.
Dr. Betty

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 05:55 PM
Tammy

Ditto on the Signal Mountain road. The view is very good. I think the best restaurant is The Snake River Grill in Jackson. The rodeo in Jackson is alot of fun. You don't get to see that every day! Although maybe you do being from Texas.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:18 PM
Sal

Our family loves Signal Mountain Lodge. There's a marina very close by (not the one one their property) that has a nice little restaurant. In addition to the Mural room, try the diner in the lodge--good kid (and adult) food. Be sure to pack insect repellant, esp. for the Jenny Lake hike. I wouldn't recommend hiking aroung the lake and then doing the hike up to inspiration point--I doubt if your kids would hold up. The boat is fun anyway. THrow in a citronella candle for evenings when you get to sit on your porch at Signal mountain and enjoy the sunset. Those items are very expensive if you buy them there.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:19 PM
william

I lived in Jackson for a couple of years. It is the most beautiful place in the lower 48. I would highly suggest going to Teton Village and taking the tram to the top of th eMountain. Nice hiking an an un real view of the whole valley.

In terms of a fun place to eat with kids go to the cadillac grille. It shares a building with a great burger palce (Billy's). You can order off either menu. The best burgers around. the food from the Cadillac menu is great-- a bit more upscale.

Feel free to email me with any other questions.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 07:44 PM
Bob Brown

Ditto on the junior ranger program.
The parents have to become involved because some of the requirements are non trivial. My son helped the younger boy because he had not started to school at the time and some of the reading was beyond him. The older boy, a 3rd grader, had a challenge to meet all of the requiremets.