Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   recommendations in San Fran??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/recommendations-in-san-fran-387338/)

coewinesnobz Jan 14th, 2004 12:28 PM

recommendations in San Fran???

My husband and I will be vacationing in SF sometime within feb-apr. Does anyone have advice on the best places to stay and eat? We were looking at the Palomar or St. Francis, but will take any advice. Thanks

snowrooster Jan 14th, 2004 12:32 PM

I love the Westin St Francis. Ask for one of the older rooms - high ceilings, chandeliers, sleigh beds - really romantic. Great history and location.

The tour of Alcatraz is great - better than you could really imagine - fascinating. Yank Sing in the financial district is great for lunch for dim sum. We also enjoyed the diner like restaurant where Irish Coffee originated but I don't recall the name. Anyone? They make the irish coffee right in front of and it's quite a production!

Burnham Jan 14th, 2004 12:41 PM

For lodging, Westin St. Francis is nice as is the W, which is adjacent to the SF MoMA.

For great eats, be sure to make a lunch or dinner reservation at Zuni Cafe. Not sure how to appropriately describe how they take basic foods and prepare them to perfection. They won a Beard Award last year as the country's best restaurant, and the cookbook is phenomenal. The roasted chicken (yes!) with bread-salad is amazing, but big enough for two. Also, their ceasar salad and the hambuger is world famous.

Zuni Cafe
1658 Market St.
(Market @ Gough)
San Francisco, CA 94102
phone: 415.552.2522

Have a great trip!

TedTurner Jan 14th, 2004 04:34 PM

You want to know the 'best places to stay and eat'?
Does this mean price-unlimited or do you have a budget?
There's quite a range in SF.

Suzie Jan 15th, 2004 08:27 AM

The St. Francis is very nice. Just visited there over the weekend. Ate at Kuleto's which is very close by and is quite yummy. You can jump on the cable car right outside and take it to Fisherman's Warf or to the top of Powell and California and walk down to Grant to China Town and then further down to North Beach. Great location.

allsd Jan 17th, 2004 08:31 PM

The Buena Vista is the place for Irish Coffee in SF.

TKay Jan 17th, 2004 11:29 PM

The St. Francis and Palomar are both nice hotels, but they are in a not so good neighborhood. The Downtown/Union Square area is rather dirty and depressing. Lots of street people and other ugly goings on there. I would definitely advise another area of town. The Marina and Cow Hollow areas are both safe. The Columbus and Cow Hollow Motor Inns would be by recommendation there. There is even free parking.

NoahsArc Jan 18th, 2004 08:17 AM

Try the Argonaut Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. IT's marvelous

bevchristie Jan 18th, 2004 03:14 PM

We were in San Fran for a week in early Dec. and split up our stay between downtown and the wharf. We stayed at the White Swan Inn which is just down from the big hotels on Nob Hill and just loved the hotel and the location. Then we moved to the Tuscan Inn on the wharf. It was also nice and there was lots to do and see there but afterwards we decided we did enjoy the downtown location more and as the street cars are easy to catch to go to the wharf you do not need to stay there.

Underhill Jan 18th, 2004 03:18 PM

Have a look at the Huntington Hotel atop Nob Hill. Royalty stays there, and the prices aren't all that bad.

Patrick Jan 18th, 2004 05:55 PM

Topping for Argonaut information.

teepe54 Jan 18th, 2004 07:13 PM

Noahsarc--

Can you share some info on the Argonaut? How were the accomodations, service, restaurant, etc...any details appreciated. Thanks!