Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Recommendations for Quincy/Plumas County place to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/recommendations-for-quincy-plumas-county-place-to-stay-478909/)

R Oct 6th, 2004 05:29 PM

Recommendations for Quincy/Plumas County place to stay?

Starting a new thread...
thought the other one might be getting too long. (about Fall Getaway in Calif)
And, my new query might get lost in there.

If exploring the Feather River area, recommendations were to lodge in Nevada City & not near Oroville, Quincy, etc.

However, I'm finding that Nevada City is *really* not that close at all to Quincy area.
Something I have, says 3 hours?
yahoo maps

Since we'd already be driving a fair amount even over to Nevada City from Bay area...
3 hours...
not sure what to do. :-\

Seems like if wanting to explore Quincy area...one might need to stay in Plumas County for a night, at least.
Any recommendations?
Is it really that lacking in lodging?

Nevada City is cute & we'd love to stay there again. Just thinkin' that if we're going to see Quincy area or even north...
it would help to find some spot up there, too.
Btw, we have seen Downieville once too...
just drove through there on a day trip from Nevada City. I suppose it could be a more 'central' place to overnight if doing Plumas County one day, but heading back down Hwy 49?

Any Downieville lodging spots that are favorites here?
Feedback much appreciated again! :-)

Astrolabe Oct 6th, 2004 11:01 PM

If you're going to the Feather River, why would you consider Nevada City as a base? Nevada City is on the Yuba River. Downieville is great and Sierra City is great but they are not on the Feather River.

Quincy would be a better choice. Also, consider Chester and Lake Almanor. Our favorite place is Drakesbad but it closes in early October.

Maybe you should look at a map and do some basic research.

R Oct 7th, 2004 12:22 PM

Included the two spots in one query,
as someone *else* recommended staying in Nevada City after a drive through the Feather River/Quincy area. (in the other thread this week, "Fall Getaways in Calif")

Was simply inquiring about the *logistics* of this...
seemed like the drive might be too much, esp. if trying to see much of that area around Quincy, including Lake A. (lodging in NV)
At least...based on the map info I got online...
Wasn't sure if perhaps those were way off on their time estimates, as it's certainly possible.

So, unless I learn otherwise...
may want to re-consider & stay in Quincy area, or not too far from there.
If anyone has a favorite place near there...please do share. :-)
Too bad that Drakesbad will be closed.
Looked it up on the Net. Looks like fun.

Astrolabe Oct 7th, 2004 02:11 PM

I've never found much of interest in Quincy. The Lake Almanor/Lassen area has more to offer. Consider staying in Chester. There's a number of nice B&Bs there. Lake Almanor is where the Sierra ends and the Cascades begin.

Or, the Gold Lakes Basin - Graeagle - Sierra City - Downieville area. This is one of the most scenic areas of the Northern Sierra. Also, check out Sierra Hot Springs in Sierraville for a good soak.

There's also a lot to see around Grass Valley/Nevada City and many fine lodging options. However, this area is much more crowded since its closer to Sacramento.

swimmer Oct 7th, 2004 09:00 PM

I second the suggestion for the Graeagle/Gold Lakes area. It is very quiet and beautiful, and more scenic than Quincy. Quincy is the "big town" for that area. Stay away from motels in Quincy.

In Graeagle, you can rent a condo among redwood trees on a golf course at Graeagle Meadows--that is where we have always stayed. But I am sure there are other options. Graeagle has a very small but cute "town" area consisting of a few little shops along Hwy 89. Gold Lake area is up the road (or down? Sorry--not great with directions...Graeagle will give you access to Lake activities, hikes, small towns, Feather River, golf if you are interested.

A drive up will get you to Johnsville, which is picturesque with some nice hikes. Try an easy hike into Feather Falls--trail head starts just before the Johnsville Nature Center/Museum--they would be able to direct you from there. Great cross-country skiing, but I'm afraid you'll be too early for that.

Blairsden is a very small town about 5 minutes from Graeagle, and has a wonderful restaurant called...Grizzy Grill, and a bakery you won't soon forget (the only one there)--the bakery is worth the trip. Really. Gumba's Pizza is a good "woodsy" pizza parlor enjoyed by tourists and locals.

Plumas County is a very relaxing place. You will have a little more "mountain" feel than the gold country you mentioned before. Either would, I think, be a lot of fun!

swimmer Oct 7th, 2004 09:08 PM

Sorry---it is "Fraizer Falls" near Graeagle. The walk up and back is very pleasant--it is not too difficult.

puckett Oct 8th, 2004 08:55 PM

I also suggest Greaeagle and Gold Lakes basin. Stay in Greaeagle 1 night and drive down 49 to Nevada City for another. Go up #80 to Truckee and take #89 North to Greaeagle then come back down #49, they call that the scenic loop.

R Oct 8th, 2004 11:47 PM

Thanks so much!
It's clear which area 'wins out' up here after yet another vote for the Gold Lakes region.

Only problem is:
will we only find hunters this time of year? If so, I'm not so game then...
would be a 'downer' for me to see...
altho' I understand some can't imagine that.

R Oct 10th, 2004 01:28 PM

Have researched some more...
and the lakes area does indeed sound scenic! Problem is: very little info on lodging in this region.

There are a # of old cabin/'resorts'
near some of these lakes.

Has anyone stayed at any of these, who could recommend one over another?

It's hard to tell just how rustic they area...not much in the way of websites/images. Like older places, but looking for some basic comforts, too...as this is our 'getaway' for a while...

Ones I've come across include:
Sardine Lake Resort
Gray Eagle Lodge
Packer Lake Lodge
(& Gold Lake Lodge & Salmon Lake Lodge)
And, near Blairsden: Feather River Inn

lostinplumas Oct 12th, 2004 03:24 PM

There are at least two quality places to stay in Quincy. One is the Feather Bed B&B and the other one is a delightful place called Ada's Place which has individual, fully appointed cottages. The fall colors here are as beautiful as anywhere in the US and there is an Awesome Autumn promotion underway now. Please call the Plumas County Visitors Bureau or even check their website!

R Oct 12th, 2004 04:36 PM

Lost in Plumas...
thanks so much for your assistance, too. Will check out those lodging options.

Had originally considered Quincy, but got a few 'negatives' on it, too.
So, started considering Chester, instead.

Also, I posted a follow-up query to you, on the Tahoe colors thread...
would *really* appreciate your further feedback. Thanks so much! :-)

lostinplumas Oct 13th, 2004 10:39 AM

Hi Again,

I guess the best place to get information is from the Plumas County Visitors Bureau. They are getting updates on fall color from numerous sources in the county, including visitors. www.plumascounty.org is the best site and is updated daily. Come now if you can.

joegri Oct 13th, 2004 12:40 PM

Chester is OK, but there isn't much there. Good place to eat or get gas, but it is pretty much a little town spaced on either side of the highway. Cynthia's is a great little restaurant in Chester.
Quincy is a larger version of Chester; stretched farther along the highway. Some historic buildings. We walked it after breakfast at the Courthouse Cafe (recommended).
There is some fall folliage now, but it will peak between the 15th and the 25th. Again, do yourself a favor and drive the Feather River Canyon Road (highway 70). It is spectacular.
If you are willing to go to Chester, than you are a short distance from the Dorado Inn on the Eastshore of Lake Alminor. You won't be dissapointed (530-284-7790 and www.doradoinn.com).
By the way, Moon's in Quincy is good for dinner as is Lake Alminor Inn just North of Dorado Inn.
www.plumascounty.org/attractions has a link to dailey folliage reports.