Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Recommendations for family vacation in December - somewhere warm, with lots to do, all close by, perhaps in the resort, and short flight from Boston area?
Notices

Recommendations for family vacation in December - somewhere warm, with lots to do, all close by, perhaps in the resort, and short flight from Boston area?

Aug 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Recommendations for family vacation in December - somewhere warm, with lots to do, all close by, perhaps in the resort, and short flight from Boston area?

We are a family of 6 looking to go somewhere warm over the Christmas Holiday. We prefer a short flight (say under 3 hours or so), and the kids (17 - 22 years of age) want a variety of things to do where ever it is we decide to go. Someplace with, perhaps, several pools and all sorts of restaurants right there at the 'resort' (not sure if I should call it a resort, but possibly this is what I'm really asking for.. a resort of sorts).
Many people love St. Bart's. I know St. Bart's is very pricey but that's okay in this instance - however, is St. Bart's anything but just a nice beach and restaurants you have to drive to? Or are there all inclusive large properties?
We've been to Atlantis before, and that was great.. it had a lot to do, and everyone could do what they wanted during the day, and we could meet together for dinner at an appointed time, which we had arranged the previous night (since cellphones didn't work there that well), however, Atlantis isn't an option this time as we were just recently there... We've been to The Bitter End Yacht Club which was great too.. but it's not as 'happening', maybe as we're hoping for this time. Disney? Kids are too old.. and those LINES! Really, what we'd love is a beautiful, warm sunny resort with plenty to do on the grounds for our older children.. and lots of restaurants.. fabulous beach.. kids love waves.. anywhere like this close to East Coast at all? THANKS SO MUCH!
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM

St. Barth's is not an "easy flight" from Boston. You'd first have to make your way to St. Martin (longer than 3 hours from Boston) then take a ferry or small island hopper flight to the island. It's pricy, there are no all inclusives and while there are plenty of beaches all types of watersports and lots of gourmet restaurants you will need a rental car or take taxis to experience all the island has to offer.

The type of resort (large AI's with several different dining options, multiple pools, all types of activities and watersports, etc. on the premisis) you are seeking can be found on Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Cancun, Cozemel and Playa del Carmen. I suggest you concentrate your search to those destinations even though some may be a bit further than a 3 hour flight from Boston (FYI - Jamaica and the Dominican Republic are the closest to Boston).

Don't wait too long to select your resort and make reservations - Christmas is peak time for most warm weather destinations and many places are often booked a year in advance. Expect to encounter the highest prices of the season and perhaps minimum stay requirements.
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your excellent advice.. I will definitely look into those places you recommended right away - Thanks again.. I'll let you know what we decided on!

Search this Thread