Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Recommendations for dress shops in NYC or DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/recommendations-for-dress-shops-in-nyc-or-dc-791570/)

smetz Jun 22nd, 2009 03:32 PM

Recommendations for dress shops in NYC or DC

I realize this is a rather odd request coming from a man, but -

My wife needs a dress for our daughter's wedding in October, and she'd like to find something that's not likely to be worn by someone else here in Baltimore. We'll be in New York in a few weeks, and we can easily drive to DC any time we'd like, so if any of the ladies on this forum might have some recommendations on shops that are sort of unique to those areas, and would be good for a stylish, petite woman in her early 50's, I'd really appreciate having them to pass along.

travelbuff Jun 22nd, 2009 03:36 PM

If she is looking for a long gown, I'd suggest Klein's as one of the best Bridal shops in the city. She might also try Lord and Taylor, Bloomingdales and of course Macy's. Another suggestion in the Herald Square area would be Daffy's, they often carry gowns from higher end labels and offer deep discounts.

Hope this helps a bit.

smetz Jun 22nd, 2009 03:41 PM

travelbuff - that does help, thanks. She's not looking for a long gown, just a nice dress, probably around knee length. I think she's tried Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom & Macy's and has definitely found things that she likes, but I guess she's worried that they might be a little more likely to appear on someone else at the wedding. It sounds like Daffy's might be worth a try.

Centralparkgirl Jun 22nd, 2009 04:39 PM

What is your price range? Is it an evening or afternoon wedding? There are dress shops in Manhattan, but of course all types. There are even shops that will make a dress for you in the size, color, etc. that you want. Obviously, that route is not inexpensive.

I think travelbuff meant Kleinfeld's. Kleins used to be a low end department store in Union Square that closed a very long time ago.

309pbg Jun 22nd, 2009 04:42 PM

Smetz,
Has your wife tried Jones and Jones at Cross Keys? Or Ruth Shaw right across from J & J?
There is a shop called Fresh out at Greenspring Station (I have not been there but hear good things) or Panache or other shops at GS. There is also a lovely boutique in Hampden (trying to think of the name) that is near the end of the street on the same side as Hometown Girl. Gorgeous dresses!! Many one of a kind. I tend to go for the boutiques around here as many people hit Nordstroms, Ann Taylor, etc.

You might also go to Tyson's Corner (McLean, VA) and go to Saks, Niemans, etc. Or to the Galleria in Bethesda.
Happy Shopping and Happy Wedding!!!!

yestravel Jun 22nd, 2009 04:44 PM

A few smaller stores on the higher end price wise in the DC area are Clare Dratch in Bethesda, 10 minutes up the road is Saks Jandel in Chevy Chase and Rizik's in DC. Loehman's is a discount store that carries high end dresses. There is one in Chevy Chase.

309pbg Jun 22nd, 2009 04:46 PM

Oh, forgot to mention Claire Dratch in Bethesda for high-end MOTB dresses. Been around for years and is very well known.

309pbg Jun 22nd, 2009 04:46 PM

Hi yt!! We posted about Claire Dratch at the same time.

yestravel Jun 22nd, 2009 04:55 PM

hey there 309...Claire Dratch is a great store. Always amazes me how many years it's been around.

yestravel Jun 22nd, 2009 05:28 PM

Just thought of another place -- if u go to Mazza Galleria in Chevy Chase where 309 mentions Neiman's, there is a small dress store, Harriet Kassman. She is changing to an all wedding dress shop and I would think might have some nice, not common MOB dress.

smetz Jun 22nd, 2009 05:28 PM

centralparkgirl - It's an evening wedding. Price range, I'm not sure, but I know she doesn't want to spend a lot, maybe the $500 range?

309pbg & yestravel, those are great ideas, thanks. 309pbg, could that be "Form" on 36th?

Centralparkgirl Jun 22nd, 2009 05:49 PM

Since you will be in NY anyway, my suggestion is to go to some high end stores (Saks, Bergdorfs, etc) and look at the sale racks (don't even bother with the full price dresses). There are huge sales going on now. The stores are desperate to move merchandise and most dresses shown now could be worn in October. She might get lucky and walk away with a real buy. Also check soifferhaskin.com before you come to NY. They organize sample sales of hi end clothing in midtown - sometimes 85% off retail. You would have nothing to lose.

runnerjefff Jun 22nd, 2009 06:40 PM

Boutique Off Broadway. boutiqueoffbroadway.com New & consignment. VERY nice people there, contacted them before our last trip to NYC & explained my size/color/cost issues. They had things ready for me to try on, and I bought a couple blouses. Unique. Will go back every trip now. Also, my personal shopper kept my husband & 20 yr old son amused while I tried clothes on. Not an easy task. Good luck!

309pbg Jun 23rd, 2009 07:10 AM

Yes, Form is the shop. Very lovely and unique.
pbg

mclaurie Jun 23rd, 2009 12:58 PM

I think travelbuff meant Kleinfeld's, the most well known bridal shop in NYC. You need an appointment. edressme.com is an online store with a NYC showroom in the garment center (only open Mon-Fri). If she sees something on the website she can try there. I think Daffy's is not the right place. Occasionally Loehmann's has some lovely cocktail dresses if that's what she wants.

Barney's and Bergdorf Goodman are more likely to carry things that other stores won't have. There's always the idea of having something made to order. Nymag.com has a good search engine for shopping.