Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for area of Adirondacks for summer stay

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I will be first-time visitors to the Adirondacks in the beginning of August and are entirely unfamiliar with that area. We are interested primarily in hiking, swimming, canoeing and fishing. We plan to explore the park and some towns in depth, but would like to establish a "home base" at a lakefront cabin during our vacation. We'd like to be near a town for convenience, but we definitely don't need a bustling nightlife, restaurants or amusement parks, etc. In fact, the further away from civilization, the better.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions are to which area(s) of the Adirondacks offer more seclusion and a variety of outdoor activities as well as convenience to other areas in Adirondacks Park. From the research I've done, it appears the Saranac Lake region is very scenic, but I am reluctant to decide on an area without some guidance. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would highly recommend the Old Forge/Inlet area on Fourth lake - plenty of hiking and swimming and the towns are nice. We always stay at Palmer Point which is in between the two towns and has cabins on the lake with a little beach and across the street from some great hiking paths. They have a website so I would look them up - I love the Palmers!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't really recommend a place to stay, but I love the area around Blue Mountain and Indian Lake. It's breathtaking, and in the high peaks. Saranac is beautiful, too, and in the high peaks area also.

Adirondack Park is HUGE! It's not a park like you might think where you pay an entrance fee.....it encompasses a very large part of northern NY state, and there are many small towns and villages within it.

It's beautiful there.....have a great trip....and my post will bring this to the top and, hopefully, you'll get more information from others!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second Blue Mountain Lake area as well as Boltons Landing.
It is very late in the season to be booking anything though, so try to do it as soon as possible!
I absolutely love the Adirondacks, amazing mountains and all those evergreen trees! Just beautiful..
Enjoy!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out www.saranaclake.com for cabins. You can rent a canoe at Crescent Marina on lower Saranac and canoe all through the lower and middle lakes. I highly recommend the Saranac Lake area. It's one of my favorite. You're close to so much - the high peaks, many lakes, and the Village of Saranac for food/conveniences.