Recommendations for 3 day trip to Charleston with my mom

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, this is my first post to Fodors, so please forgive me if my first message isn't as clear as it should be or if I've posted to the wrong group.

I currently live in Seattle, but grew up in NC where my folks still lives. I'm flying out to NC in late May to visit, and my mom and I thought it would be a lot of fun to make a road trip to Charleston for a 3 day/2 night stay with just the two of us.

We're looking at going May 27-29th which turns out to be during the Spoleto festival which sounds like a lot of fun, but a little overwhelming for me to plan activities, but my mom's up for it.

I want to plan a trip that will be fun for both me whose in my early 30s and my mom, who's, well, you know, old enough to be my mom .

I'm looking for help in the following:

1. recommended place to stay in the Historic district that would be nice for a mom and daughter to stay. The B&B's sound nice, but they seem to be more guaged for a romantic couple getaway. We'd like to stay someplace that's comfortable and has some character.

2. Recommended restaurants. My mom has a pretty restrictive diet, however, vegetarian plus seafood fits the bill pretty well. I'm looking for restaurants with great atmosphere (not romantic or necessarily trendy) with great food made from local and fresh ingredients.

3. Recommendations for any must see events at Spoleto.

Any additional information you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Dawn
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:35 AM
GoTravel

Dawn, I would first make sure you can find accommodations in Charleston. Go to SpoletoUSA.org and PiccoloSpoleto.com for a list of things going on. It is a world class event in Charleston and people from all over the world attend.

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:50 AM

I can vouch for Meeting Street Inn (not to be confused with Two Meeting Street Inn). I stayed there with 3 other ladies in March. We split 2 rooms, each with 2 'rice' beds (canopied) for about $189 per night for the room. It has the flavor of an inn or B&B but was perfectly acceptable for non-romantic room-sharing.
They offer a continental breakfast in the lobby, and afternoon refreshments at 5:30. It is across from the City Market, about 3 blocks from St Michaels church, about 6-7 blocks from the Battery. It is one block over from King Street (shopping and antiques).
It is a very central location, and you can see the inn on its website: (ask for AAA rates if you belong).
http://www.meetingstreetinn.com/
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:08 PM

You can't go wrong with Charleston Place Hotel. Luxurious and centrally located.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM
GoTravel

While I love The Charleston Place, rates for those dates start at $700 per night for a standard room. Again, availability will be tight.

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:10 PM

I went to Charleston with my daughter last year. We stayed at French Quarter Inn near Market Square in the historic area. It was a great location and we loved the hotel. Check out their website : www.fqicharleston.com
The Visitors' Center has tons of info. I got a "Charleston Official Visitors' Guide" beforehand and it was very helpful. I probably got it off the website CharlestonCVB.com or call them at 800-774-0006
We had a terrific time. Charleston was a perfect setting .
Have a great trip !
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM

Dawn- Try the Elliott House Inn- it is fabulous- do a search here on Fodors as I wrote a ton on it for another poster--

BOOK HOTEL NOW_ --whichever hotel you decide on!! AS SPOLETO fastival rooms go FAST !!! You will be there on the heaviest holiday weekend for that city--

And be sure to hit Bob Ellis' for SHOES-=the best place on the East Coast for Ladies and Mens shoes!!!--it is on King Street in downtown....
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:56 PM

I agree that you need to find accommodations ASAP. Any of the places mentioned are find. Keep in mind that prices skyrocket in May and get lower has it gets hot. I highly recommend High Cotton for dinner, again, make your reservation early. Great fresh local seafood and many vegetarian dishes. But meat eaters like me are also very happy with the selections. You may want to look into the newest hotel downtown the Market Pavilion. A little pricey, but absolutely breathtaking rooms! Another great restaurant is Fish on King street. It's off the beaten path, but very good and very chic! Have fun. Your mom will love it. Mine lives there and she can't get enough.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:02 PM

Dawn- forgot to leave restaurant suggestions:

1. ANSONS's-ask for table downstairs-terrific food!!!

2.Magnolia's- Ask for table in the back room- decorated with Huge paintings of Magnolias all around the room-food is good!

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your responses. This information is giving me a good start. I've started looking at some of these places online so I can get an idea of availability and pricing. All of the places sound very nice and reasonable. Even the Charleston Place seems to be showing availability for the 2 nights I want to go and listing a price of $289 a night for a deluxe room (that's still a bit more than I can afford), but hopefully I'll have some good luck finding a nice room in one of the recommended places. I may be naive about the prices and availability I'm seeing online, so I appreciate the response from GoTravel warning that actual prices may be higher than usual due to Spoleto. I'm hoping that since we're going during the week, availability and prices will be better. Thanks also for the restaurant recommendations. I will definitely check them out and make sure we get reservations early!

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:33 AM

I use to live in Charleston and am now stuck having to only visit. Everyone is correct that places book up quickly during this time period and rates sky rocket. HOWEVER, please make sure you call these places before booking online as often times the rates are cheaper when you call. Another great place to try is Jasmine House (www.jasminehouseinn.com. This place is owned by the same people who own Meeting Street Inn but is cheaper. Still very very nice with many different types of rooms to choose from. Parking is free which is a bonus in Charleston and you will be within walking distance to just about everything downtown. It is right off of Meeting Street. Their other property is Indigo Inn and it is even cheaper than the Jasmine House. It shares a parking lot with Jasmine House. They serve a nice breakfast at both places and offer wine and cheese in the afternoon. I highly recommend all three properties as the owners and employees are extremely friendly.

As for your dining choices, I noticed that most people gave higher end restaurant choices and they hit the nail on the head with the advice they gave you. If you are interested in cheaper dining, head over to Mount Pleasant and eat at Shem Creek (seafood) and there is another one across the street but I am drawing a blank. There is also in downtown Charleston the A. W. Shucks and Hymans (both seafood). A nicer place to try that I am not sure anyone has mentioned is Slightly North of Broad (or SNOB as it is called). There is a cheaper seafood restaurant called Crab House or Crab Shack (sorry my mind has completely left me) that overlooks the waterfront in James Island off of Wapoo Creek Drive. This may sound far away but it is only about 8 minutes or so from downtown Charleston.

I can not tell you which events to attend because they vary every year at the Festival depending on who that have gotten to come. The arts and crafts are phenomonal so you should certainly shop. Also, if you have time, take a ghost tour one evening but wear comfy shoes!!!

If you want to go to the beach, I prefer Sullivans and Isle of Palms to Folly and both are a short drive from downtown. Isle of Palms has public parking across the street for about $5. Please email me if you have any further questions.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:50 AM
Brutforce

I'm partial to the Planter's Inn as well as there restaurant (the name escapes me @ this point). You can't beat the location. If it is your first trip there I would not stay on the battery. It is quite a hike to downtown & where you'll likely spend a lot of your time. As far as restaurants I would suggest Carolina's or the Peninsula Grill (@ Planters). Elliott's does not get good scores on the Fodor's sight but I have never eaten there. If you backtrack you can find ratings on this board for places to stay & restaurants that may also be helpful. Enjoy !

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:01 AM

...and if you take a ghost tour, as mentioned, be sure to wear comfy shoes - and tell Mom to watch her step! the sidewalks are uneven, etc. my mom and i took a ghost tour last summer and she did really well until the very last stop - and then fell!

and do go to spoleto website to see what all will be going on! we were there last year during festival. i printed out the schedule and took it with us so that i could check each day to see what was on in the area that we would be in - it was great!
have fun!
d