Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for Sedona, Arizona & Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 02:19 PM
Kate

We are taking a four-day trip to Arizona and the Grand Canyon. First, any recommendations for Sedona re: lodging, hiking, tours? And since we've never visisted the Canyon, what type of tour/hike should we take?

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 03:01 PM
Kam

The Enchantment Inn in Sedona is lovely as it the somewhat less expensive Inn on Oak Creek. From Sedona, the GC can be a daytrip or overnight in Flagstaff. Can't advise about hikes---somebody else???

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 03:07 PM
Shelly Reichel

I suggest that you consider the Canyon Villa B&B in Sedona. It's a beautiful Southwest contemporary B&B with wonderful hospitality and food. It's one of a favorite B&B's in the country. Their phone is 520-284-1226. I highly recommend a Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona. I don't have their phone number but you can obtain it when you make your room reservations. Hope you have a great trip. Shelly

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 04:40 PM
Dave

At the GC, take the ranger tours. They are good, informative, and free. Get a schedule at the park station as soon as you get there. Also, you have to go beneath the rim, even a short way, to appreciate the beauty of the area.

Near Sedona, I liked Walnut Creek Canyon.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 06:25 PM
Arizona

I suspect Dave (above) meant Oak Creek Canyon. Anyway, why not phone 1-800-288-7336, the Sedona Chamber of Commerce, and ask them to send you their free 76-page booklet "Experience Sedona." It's packed with all sorts of ideas on where to stay and eat, and what to do in and around Sedona, including a day trip to the Grand Canyon. The South Rim is 110 miles away. Go up to Flagstaff, take Hwy. 180 to the South Rim, drive #63 east to the Indian trading post at Cameron, and then take #89 south to I-40, I-17, and 89A back through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona. Makes a great day for the whole family.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 06:59 PM
P. Jernigan

Just did that vacation a few weeks ago. Hope you can get it all in, in 4 days! Sedona is a very beautiful town...I would love to go back. We stayed at the Best Western of Sedona on 89A less than a mile west of 179. Right out your motel door you have a spectacular view and a lage porch area to sit and relax. You are not very far from the sights. Go towards the airport and you will come to several scenic views with places to hike. Red Rock State Park was very scenic (some make beautiful pictures.)
There is also a Chapel that is in the rock that is very unique. Montezuma's Castle was interesting if you like history. The people built right into the rock cliffs. We Traveled from the North Rim to Sedona. We stopped at several State Monuments and parks during our drive. We found the history of the ruins of the desert people to be interesting. Still cannot understand why they did't travel 20 more miles and have cooler weather and water (Flagstaff). Since you only have 4 days, you may not have time to go to Zion National Park. Zion and Sedona were my favorite. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is a lot cooler in temperature and has a lot of trees as compared to the South Rim. But the South Rim, you can get a shuttle bus and get off and hike between the stops. Hope you have a great vacation.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 06:05 AM
Easton

Was wondering if anyone had spent any time in the Lake Powell Region, paddling and/or hiking?

CE

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 09:18 AM
Paul Rabe

While at the Canyon, just drive along the Rim and stop at every scenic overlook. Try to see different views and at different times of the day. Your eyes will be popping out constantly!

*IF* you are physically fit AND well-prepared, walk down the Bright Angel Trail until you START to feel any discomfort, then turn back. Wear a hat, long cotton clothers, and LOTS of sunscreen. Carry and DRINK *LOTS* of water. Walking into the Canyon is the ONLY way to really experience its wonder.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 10:40 AM
Polly

If you reverse the route recommended by "Arizona" above (entering the Grand Canyon FROM the east), you will see all the wonderful things described in that post AND you will have wonderful views of The Painted Dessert as you drive north from Flagstaff toward Cameron. Just a suggestion. I've done it both ways and I like this route better.