Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

recommendation for anniversary present of weekend away in Washington state?

Old Oct 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and her husband live in Vancouver, BC. It's their anniversary in late March and the rest of the family would like to get them a weekend away (probably more like 4 nights, 5 days) somewhere they can drive to.

They've been to La Conner and Leavenworth before.

They are both late 30s. My sister enjoys antiquing & shopping in general. My brother in law likes golf & sightseeing. They both enjoy good food.

Any recommendations - for towns, restaurants, hotels - would be appreciated. I am trying to plan this from the other end of the country - I live in Ottawa, ON so I'm not really familiar with all the options.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 07:09 PM

I recommend Portland, OR. I live in Portland and have vacationed in BC many times - so I know it's not THAT far of a drive (although not super close either). Portland has all those things you mentioned and no salex tax, so it's affordable. Book them in to the White House in NE Portland and book a round of golf at Pumpkin Ridge. Tons of great restaurants near the bed and breakfast and plenty of places to shop for all sorts of things. Trust me on this one.

http://www.portlandswhitehouse.com/

http://www.pumpkinridge.com/
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
mms

We have spent several anniversaries in Port Townsend. No idea about golf in that area though.

Even Seattle itself would be good. Easy drive to Snohomish for excellent antiquing.

I too am in Portland, and agree it is a good suggestion.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM

I like the Portland idea, too. The drive would be about 6 hours straight down I-5. It's a nice size city with lots of great restaurants, antiquing, beautiful sight-seeing, golfing, and other activities. I don't golf but the Red Tail Golf Center in Beaverton (used to be called Progress Downs) is well-located.

http://www.golfredtail.com/index.html
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM

I know you said "drive" to. At the risk of incurring "boos" I would say if this is a gift, why not fly them to Hawaii . In March the warm weather might be welcome. You can fly Vancouver to Honolulu non-stop in less than six hours that it takes to drive to Portland.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM

If you're going to stay in Washington, how about the wine region Walla Walla, Richland, Pasco amd Kennewick? Or the Olympic Peninsula..as mms said Port Townsend has some nice Victorian B&Bs. The Olympic Nat. Parks is close at hand. I known there is good golfingt opportunity in the Sequim area.
Another possibility, a bit further away is the Oregon wine country around McMinnvile.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Have you asked the recipients if they have a preference?