Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   recommend driving into key west or flying into key west--budget wise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/recommend-driving-into-key-west-or-flying-into-key-west-budget-wise-325601/)

uphilli Jun 9th, 2003 07:36 AM

recommend driving into key west or flying into key west--budget wise?

i did some quick calcs...looks like i can save maybe $200 overall if i flew into ft. lauderdale and then rent a car and drive down (for 3 nights i figure about $75 total in parking fees).
i don't mind driving, and i guess it'll be a nice drive down there, but is it worth the extra $200 to fly into the airport?
TIA

GoTravel Jun 9th, 2003 07:38 AM

If you are only going to Key West for 3 nights, I would fly in and out.

If you were staying longer, I would only consider the ride if you've never driven it before.

doc_ Jun 9th, 2003 07:47 AM

Finances aside..I just like the drive to Key West. We always get a convertable and really enjoy the trip and take our time.

uphilli Jun 9th, 2003 07:51 AM

i thought that the drive would be nice, and since I've never driven it before, might be some interesting things to see. but, time is short.

SuzieQ Jun 9th, 2003 08:01 AM

Do the drive! It is beauiful and really puts you in the Keys State of Mind. For that alone its worth it.

Diana Jun 9th, 2003 08:06 AM

I agree with what GoTravel recommended.
The drive is so much fun, but depending on traffic, things can really get snarled up to the tune of it taking most of the day to get there.
In your case, I'd fly in and out.
If you like Key West, go back for a longer amount of time and do the drive.
There are lots of neat places to stop for chowder and key lime pie with a view, but you can easily be slowed to a crawl since there's so much 2 lane only road.

SusanCS Jun 9th, 2003 09:26 AM

I'd definitely fly into Key West. Though we've been lucky with avoiding accidents on the way down, there are horror stories of people who've waited hours for the highway to clear. There's one two-lane highway going down to Key West and most of the way it's a no passing zone. If you had lots of time, it'd be a great idea to save the money and drive, but with only 3 nights I wouldn't take a chance on the traffic. In the best conditions, the drive from Ft. Lauderdale would be 4 1/2 hours.

Owen_ONeill Jun 9th, 2003 09:29 AM

Fly. I've gone to KW for three day weekend and flew in. very convenient and maximized my time enjoying the area. Went with a friend on another occasion for three nights and we rented car and drove both ways from Miami. Nice drive down as you go through the boring parts of the drive first and then hit the beautiful areas. We shared the rental car coast and thus it really did effect svaings but if going there again solo I will still opt to fly iof the difference is only $200 or so.

By the way.... all decent guesthouses that I know of in Old Town will provide parking spaces for their guests - no need to pay for parking and you'll be on foot for the duration (or better yet - rent a bike and tour the island).

Vette4Paris Jun 9th, 2003 09:50 AM

Oh, we just drove, and we should have flown. What a long, boring drive. Just as bad as I remember it several years ago, when I swore I'd never drive it again. Only 150 or so miles, but it seems like forever. Fly, especially if you're time in KW is brief.

red63corvette Jun 9th, 2003 12:13 PM

Uphilli,

The answer to the question depends a lot on your personality type. I've done the drive and just loved it. My husband was ready to pop a blood vessel. I knew I should have left him behind that trip! lol

If you want to get there RIGHT NOW and start exploring and partying... you're a fly-in.

If you love the slow leisurely drive down Hwy 1 then rent a convertible, pop in a Jimmy Buffett cd and prepare for paradise.

Yes, a traffic accident can bring Hwy 1 to a stand-still. I saw an overturned sailboat at one point and a vette (boo hoo hoo) that elected to literally drive thru a road side restaurant.

But there's just something about driving with the car top down, listening to Jimmy and slowing down the gears for a trip to the tropics.

Have a great time!

~ Sheryl

CarolB Jun 9th, 2003 04:19 PM

You didn't say anything about the return trip! Driving the Keys is a classic, do-it-once type of trip, but if you drive down AND back you'll be really bored. I would (and I just did) fly one way and drive the other. It's most classic to drive DOWN, not up.

Suggestion for the drive: get a detailed guidebook -- I like the quirky narrative by Joy Williams -- and read it ahead of time. Then you'll understand what you're seeing and you'll get ideas for places to stop and poke around a little, and eat lunch.

iceeu2 Jun 9th, 2003 04:32 PM

Definitely FLY....it is the longest drive ever!!.((d))

Heartburn3 Jun 9th, 2003 04:49 PM

FLY!! If you get on one of the smaller planes, you'll get a birds eye view of the keys and that is much more interesting than the drive (and only 1 hour.) Cape Air flies from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West for about $200, but you might be able to get a package deal with an airline. Where are you coming from? My neice is flying from Raleigh, NC to KW for about $250 total/round trip. Check out Delta, Continental & American Airlines. I'll be going there in 10 days... can't wait!! Where are you staying? Hotel or B&B?

uphilli Jun 9th, 2003 06:31 PM

i'll be flying from Detroit, hopefully around the 4th (yes, i know its hot!), tickets are anywhere from $450 (a thurs to monday) to $600+ (thurs to sun). i can get a ticket for $220 on spirit to ft. lauderdale...i need to do more searches for cheap flight from ft. lauderdale to eyw. not sure where we're staying, i have a friend who has been there several times emailing me w/ B&B suggestions. plus, i need to do more searching on this site. where do you suggest?

SuzieQ Jun 10th, 2003 02:16 AM

I have never found any cheap flight directly into Key West. Maybe somebody out there has had better luck.

ardbroilach Jun 10th, 2003 04:14 AM

the drive down through fla will be pretty flat and dull until you get to the lower keys. for a 3 day trip, you have got to fly. was there about this time last year and stayed at the key lime inn which is walking distance from duval st and all the old town attractions. you can hire a little electric car or a bike whilst there. if you can, go to blue heaven on petronia and thomas for either breakfast, lunch or dinner.

JackOneill Jun 10th, 2003 04:25 AM

I, too, have never been lucky to find a cheap fare into Key West. It's always been cheaper to drive. I've been driving to Key West every year (sometimes 2-3 times a year) since 1966. On one hand, I enjoy the drive (some spots are very scenic, although others - Marathon comes to mind - are like being in any town with lots of traffic). On the other hand, I hate the drive. It's long. It's hot. And sometimes the traffic gets sooo bad you just want to scream.

bryarsmom Jun 10th, 2003 05:01 AM

We have been to the Keys 6-7 times and after the initial drive we NEVER, I repeat, NEVER drove it again.And this was a trip originating from Ft. Myers. There are so many "no passing" zones it will drive you nuts! Especially if you get behind a car doing about 40 mph.You're stuck. Besides, with only 3 days you'll want to spend your time enjoying Key West-relaxing, taking in the local color etc.

Vette4Paris Jun 10th, 2003 05:56 AM

Forget any notions of a scenic drive, and instead think about all the traffic jams as you pass through an interminable series of small towns and other wide places in the road. And the best is saved for last - trying to get into Key West proper, as you pass all the access roads, traffic lights and shopping malls. It is a MESS!! If you can fly in, by all means fly in.

Myrna Jun 10th, 2003 07:33 AM

If you are only going for 3 nights-fly into Key West. You can get by in KW without a car. The drive down and back will take a day out of your time.