Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reco for B&B or small, quaint hotel in Carmel by the Sea, CA

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a B&B or small hotel in Carmel by the Sea?
Not frumpy. In a good location to the village. About $150 or so per night.

Oh, and what about an interesting restaurant with an ocean view?

Thanks, Margo
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM

The Lobos Lodge on Ocean Avenue may work, the Pine Inn is across the street. About as central a location as you can get, rates begin at $125.

http://www.loboslodge.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 12:57 PM
SAB

Can't give any recommendations for a place in the village as we haven't stayed in the village area itself for many years. I always recommend the Mission Ranch, because it is removed from the village and has good prices. As far as restaurants with an ocean view, there are none in Carmel itself if that is what you were looking for. There are a few on Route 1 south of Carmel, such as Pacific Edge, Rocky Point, Cielo at the Post Ranch Inn, The Restuarant at Ventana and of course Nepenthe that have pretty spectacular views.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Check Tickle Pink Inn. Just next door is the Carmel Highlands Inn Hyatt which has a fantastic restaurant Pacific's Edge with ocean views through big windows. This is the rec of my son and daughter in law, who spent a romantic overnighter at both, about 5 yrs ago. I hope all the info is still current (prices for the inn, and great food at the Hyatt hotel nearby).
However...this is not IN the village, but a 5 minute easy drive. So if you want a place where you can walk around shops, etc, it is probably not the best location

http://www.ticklepinkinn.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM
SAB

I doubt that you will be able to get a room at the Tickle Pink for around $150 a night--their winter rates start at around $250.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Tally Ho or Tickle Pink

although Laplaya.com summer specials from $179

awesome also bigger hotel vut super nice for price.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
SAB

Tally Ho rates start at $199.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:40 PM

We've stayed at the Lobos Lodge and were pleased. The location is great and the rates are reasonable. While it's not a luxury property the rooms are fine.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:55 PM

AFAIK Lobos Lodge runs higher than $150 in summer (starts at $125, but that is in the winter)

And Mission Ranch is good --but according to the rate sheet on the website, only 6 of their rooms (out of 23) are under $155 - the rest are much higher.

Carmel is just a pricey place to stay -- especially in summer.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Just an update on our two-day trip to Carmel. We did, in fact, stay at Lobos Lodge and were really pleased with the one bedroom accommodation. It had a rather large living room with nicely updated decor and a bedroom area with two queen beds. Price was about $185 for the night. The breakfast that was delivered to our door at a prescribed time was rather boring. A large muffin, orange juice, and a very small serving of mixed fruit. Coffee was make-your-own available in the room. The location was great--right on the main street in the middle of the village.

There were no restaurants with sea view in Carmel as noted by someone but we happened upon a very good restaurant which served mediterranean food-- Dametra Cafe. Very small place with nice staff. I would suggest reservations as it is very popular. It is about one block up from Lobos Lodge.

On the way to Carmel from San Francisco we stopped for lunch at Moss Landing to eat at Phil's, a local institution there. Good seafood. We travelled along Route 1 and stopped to look at the wonderful views at least a dozen times. We did drive the 17-mile drive past the Pebble Beach Club--that was nice but I won't need to do it again.

On the way back to SF, we stopped at Cannery Row in Monterey. Ate at the Fish Hopper at an outside table right on the Bay. Food okay, view terrific. A seal came to view us as we ate.

A fun two days.
Margo
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM

Margo, glad everything worked out and thanks for the report. I'll have to look up the Dametra Cafe, it sounds good.