Reload this Page >

recipe for Chicken Franceis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:51 AM
annie

yes, I know I mispelled it but please anyone have a recip for this wonder tender meal? and how does one make the chicken so tender it literally melts in your mouth!!!!!!!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:54 AM
annie

OMG, and is misspelled, misspelled too!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Leslie

Chicken Francais

Yield: 4 servings

1 tablespoon corn oil
1 chicken, cut in pieces (3-4 lb)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
16 oz can tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 pound ham, cut in julienne strips
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1 pinch cloves, ground
1 pinch nutmeg, ground
4 carrots, cut into 2" pieces
1 scallion, cut into 2" pieces
hot cooked rice

Heat oil in a large skillet, brown chicken pieces on all sides.
Remove chicken and set aside. Saute onion and garlic in the same
skillet until golden, drain excess fat.

Add tomatoes, broth, ham, Tabasco sauce, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
to skillet, mix well. Return chicken to skillet, cover and simmer
15 minutes. Add carrots and scallions, cover and cook 10 minutes
longer, or until chicken is tender.

Remove chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon to serving
platter, keep warm. Cook pan juices over high heat, uncovered,
until reduced by half, spoon over chicken. Serve with rice if
desired.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Leslie

New York New York's Chicken Francaise
Recipe By : New York, New York Restaurant (Miami Herald 7/21/94)

Serving Size : 4

8 Chicken breast pieces (3 1/2 -- oz ea) boned and skinned
-----BATTER:-----

1 cup Eggs -- beaten
2 tablespoons Lemon juice
1/4 cup Parsley -- chopped
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup White wine
1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic -- pureed
2 dashes Hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
Margarine or butter for -- coating pan
-----WINE SAUCE:-----

1 Margarine stick
1/2 cup White wine
1/4 cup Lemon juice
Dust the chicken in the flour and set aside.
Make the batter by beating eggs briskly, then beating in the lemon juice, parsley, salt, wine, garlic, hot pepper sauce, and Parmesan. Coat a heavy skillet with margarine or olive oil and place over high heat. Dip the floured chicken pieces generously in the batter and place in the heated skillet. Cook until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and drain excess oil. Make the wine sauce by melting the margarine in the pan, then stirring in the wine and lemon juice. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, spooning the wine sauce over all and cook 1 minute longer. Serve immediately.
Nutritional info( not including oil for cooking): 611 cal; 57g pro, 5g carb, 36g fat (54%)

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:06 AM
cook

Leslie-
I have never had chicken, veal, or fish Francese with tomatoes in it. Are you sure about this recipe?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Leslie

TAVERN ON THE GREEN CHICKEN FRANCAIS

Source: Mark Sewall, Tavern on the Green Inn at Silver Lakes - Helendale, CA

4 (6 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts
Flour, for dredging
2 oz. clarified butter*
1 C. white wine
2 small shallots, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and white pepper, to taste
3 T. French-style whole grain mustard
1/2 C. heavy cream

* To make clarified butter, slowly melt a stick of unsalted butter until the milk solids melt to the bottom of the pan. Skim foam off the top and use only the clear golden liquid.

Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap to make uniform thickness for even cooking. Dredge chicken breasts in flour, shaking off excess. Heat clarified butter in sauté skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken in pan and sauté until cooked halfway through, about three minutes. Reduce heat to medium.

Turn over chicken and add minced shallots and garlic, cooking one minute until you can smell the aroma of garlic. Add wine to deglaze pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add mustard and stir into sauce. Let sauce cook for two minutes to reduce, then add heavy cream. Let sauce cook for another two minutes to thicken sauce slightly. Yields 4 servings.

Serve with Chardonnay.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:11 AM
cook

Chicken Francese with Lemon and Pecorino

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
4 heaping tablespoons finely grated Pecorino cheese
8 tablespoons very finely chopped parsley
2 eggs, beaten well
Flour, for dredging
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cups dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
12 thin, round slices of lemon, seeds removed
4 tablespoons butter
Cut the chicken breasts into 12 pieces of roughly equal size. Place the pieces between sheets of waxed paper, and pound with a mallet until theyre thin. Season with salt and pepper. Place cheese and 4 tablespoons parsley in a wide, shallow bowl. Slowly add the beaten egg, whisking until its smoothly incorporated. Place the flour on a wide plate. Dip the pounded chicken in the egg mixture. Remove, letting excess egg drip off. Place each cutlet in the flour, and coat lightly. Remove from flour and hold them in a single layer. Add the olive oil to 2 saute pan large enough to hold 3 cutlets in a single layer. Place over medium  high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cutlets. Saute, turning once, until the cutlets are golden on the outside, just cooked on the inside (about 2 minutes per side). Remove the cutlets, and hold them in a single layer. Repeat with remaining cutlets. Spill the oil out of the saute pan. Return the pan to high heat. Add 1/4 cup of white wine to each pan and reduce it to 2 tablespoons in each pan. Divide the stock and the lemon slices between the pans. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove the lemon slices. Keep boiling the sauce until its reduced to 1/2 cup. Turn heat to very low. Swirl 2 tablespoons butter into each pan until the sauce is thickened. Add cutlets to each pan, turning them until they are coated in sauce. Divide cutlets among 4 plates, pour remaining 4 table

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Leslie

I found these 3 recipes doing a Google search. I can't comment on any of them, but with any recipe there are variations. Two of the recipes call for a hot sauce (Tabasco), so I guess that adding tomatoes would not be that much of a stretch.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:14 AM
annie

WOW! Thank you Leslie! and such a quick response!!!.. I"m going shopping now.... also, I've had Francaise with salmon and it was out of this world!!!!!

But I'll ask you again.... how does one make a chicken sooooo tender.... I'm pounded and marinated but can't seem to get that melt in result.... should i try boiling the chicken instead of sauteing??? thanks!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Leslie

Annie, you have to thank others too. I would think that a few things would make the chicken tender. First, if you pound on the boneless chicken breasts to flatten them, you will be breaking down the membrane and muscles. Also, slow cooking retains the juices in the meat, which will keep it tender, and adding lemon juice will also break down the chicken to make it more tender. Don't overcook chicken, because then it will become tough.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Leslie

After looking at a number of recipes, I've noticed that adding artichoke hearts to the recipe at the very end would be another variation. I'd think that also serving either white or green asparagus, would be a nice side dish to the recipe.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
annie

Leslie, I only thanked you cuz your receipes came in first!!! and in record time..... i'm only learned of Fodors two days ago and am amazed at this sort of networking!!!

anyhow....... THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:48 AM
xxx

Hey people take your recipes to a cook's forum. This is NOT the place for it.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
pam

This is one of my favorite dishes. Thanks Annie, for asking, travel forum or not, it was a great question. I nearly always order it wherever I go.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 03:29 PM
cook

I find that when I cook chicken at a high temp- fast! that it remains juicy and very tender. Easy when making a Francais

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Lenore

I can't believe a recipe question got 14 replies on a travel forum! Go figure.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:16 PM
smart

Lenore,
just goes to show that life is just full of surprises!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Melinda

I know you said you pounded the chicken but make sure you pound them thin enough and cook at high heat and not too long. Just golden brown in spots. Did not read all the replies but I love epicurious.com for recipes as each recipe is rated by everyone with tips such as above.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Cheryl

I went to my favorite recipe site allrecipes.com and searched for francais and found one listed below. I like this site because it has ratings and reviews by people. I also like epicurious.com (Bon Apetit and Gourmet and also with ratings) and Cookinglight.com (like the magazine). As far as tender chicken, when I pound and flatten chicken to 1/4 inch and dip in flour and don't saute for too long, it is so much more tender than other ways. Good Luck.

Famous Chicken Francaise
Chicken with lemon juice, egg, butter and garlic. C'est
magnifique! Makes 6 servings.
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Paula Tomlinson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 egg, beaten
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch garlic powder
1 pinch paprika
6 skinless, boneless chicken
breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 lemon, juiced
6 slices lemon, for garnish
2 sprigs fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions
1 In a shallow dish or bowl mix together the egg beat and
juice of 1/2 lemon. In another shallow dish or bowl mix
together the flour, garlic powder and paprika. Dip chicken
breasts in egg mixture, then flour mixture. Heat butter or
margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken
breasts and saute until golden on each side.
2 In a medium bowl mix together broth and juice of 1
lemon and pour mixture over chicken in skillet. Reduce heat
to medium low and let simmer for about 8 minutes. Place
on serving platter and garnish with fresh lemon slices
and parsley sprigs.