Notices

Recent reviews of Manele Bay Resort on Lanai?

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent reviews of Manele Bay Resort on Lanai?

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I have gone to Hawaii for the past 2 summers (BI, Oahu, and Maui) and are planning on going again next summer. I have booked 2 FF miles tickets from Boston to San Francisco, where we will spend a few days before flying to Hawaii. (Have 14-15 nights for whole vacation.) We are still undecided about where to spend our time in Hawaii, and probably won't decide for sure for a few months yet.

One option I am considering is 7 days on Maui in Wailea (stayed in Kaanapali 2 summers ago, and didn't get to South Maui at all), and possibly 3 nights on Lanai at Manele Bay. I know that Four Seasons will be managing the resort then. We would be looking to completely relax there, just eat, swim, sun and snorkel...with maybe one day for horse-back riding or golf for DH.

I am interested in any recent reviews of this hotel, as there is so little information on this board about Lanai compared to the other islands. The resort seems to have a spectacular setting on a fabulous beach, and I know it is going through renovations through the end of the year. Any help/opinions would be great...Thanks
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 09:20 AM

i would recommend a stay on the big island before i would suggest lanai. lanai is very un tropical looking- it was a former plantation town and there is no palm tree or anything lush or green. the views from manele bay are uninspiring (compared to many available on other islands) and the inconvenience of going there makes it not worth the effort. you can stay at a 4 s on big island or on maui and have that experience, without flying into a little scrubby island. that's just one person's opinion, but i found lanai unappealing, especially when you are coming all that way.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

kerikeri: Thanks for the advice, but I have been to the BI twice before (and we love it!) I was thinking of Lanai because of the ease of getting there via ferry from Maui. One of our options for this vacation is 4 nights in San Francisco, 3 on Lanai, and 7 on Maui.

Can anyone else comment on Manele Bay?
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM

my two cents....bag lanai and stay 3 nights over at the Hotel Hana Maui in Hana while you are on Maui. Hana is almost as bad, terrible, boring, overrated, rainy and buggy as Kaua`i is.

-Bill
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bill, but I think we are looking into Lanai not only because it is different, but also because of the resort there (snorkeling,...). I will DEFINITELY look into your suggestion, though, but I suspect we are resort people

I am still looking forward to trying that place you all hate so much -- Kauai! If we don't get there for summer 2006, I think we will for summer 2007!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Bill -- The other thing I should mention is that although that Hotel Hana Maui looks GORGEOUS, last time we were on Maui, we did the Road to Hana, and I threw up twice! I would not be looking forward to that drive again...
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:18 PM

My husband and I just returned from 5 nights at Manele Bay (first visit to Lanai).We loved it! This is not a busy island so if you want to sun, snorkel and laze around, it is great. That side of the island is arid which makes for sunny days but tropical lushness will only be on the hotel grounds which are beautiful. The ferry to Lahaina is quite easy to use even with a couple pieces of luggage. The hotel is only a mile from the ferry and will provide a shuttle. We found the service in the restaurants there and at the Lodge at Keole (sister property) to be outstanding, however the menus are a bit limited and on the pricy side and there aren't alot of other options. I would definitely recommend it as long as you know it is not a hopping place.