Search

Seattle and somewhere else trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle and somewhere else trip

Hi

I desperately need help planning a trip to Seattle, other parts of Washington, and BC, maybe. We are making the trip in August 2011 and will be there for 6 or 7 days. I plan to spend the first day in Seattle and maybe the last day. For the days in between, I'd like to go to the Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan islands. Or Victoria instead of San Juan islands? I've never been to the Pacific Northwest so I'm feeling overwhelmed but I want to get the most out of this trip. Can anyone recommend some things we must do and places we can't miss? Also, are there any water taxis that go out to the islands or will we have to catch the ferries in Anacorte?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM

For the San Juans, I think you need to go via Anacortes.

Given what you feel and write here, you're the rare bird to whom I would suggest going to the Olympic Peninsula and then taking the ferry directly from Port Angeles to Victoria for a day or two.

It's probably right to spend the first day in Seattle, and the last TWO days in Seattle... given the chance you'll notice something and then want to see it before you go, etc.

Don't know how many are going with you, or what ages they are, but IF anyone is into the "Twilight" book series, then the town of "Forks, Washington" should not be missed on your path around the Olympic Peninsula.

Here's a crazy vision of your trip:

night 1 (downtown) Seattle
night 2 (near) Port Angeles, WA
night 3 Victoria, Canada (park and just walk on the ferry, don't take your rental car there, too expensive and hardly needed)

night 4 Forks, WA (in case someone wants to see it)

nights 5 & 6 (back in Seattle???)

Just my wild guess
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 05:26 AM
JJ5

Highly suggest the Pike Place Market Food Tour during your Seattle time. It was outstanding. We went last year and spent 4 days in Seattle. And we could have done more easily.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 06:46 AM

For my first trip to the Pacific NW a number of years ago, we had 10 days and made a large loop. Starting in Seattle (2 nights) to Port Angeles (1 night), up around the very tip of the Olympic Peninsula with a brief stop at the little Makah museum there (1 night). Then down the other side of the peninsula to Portland (1 night), out to Hood River via scenic Route 30 (3 nights, for a wedding) and back along the Washington side of the river, up through the Mt. St. Helens park with a final night not far from the airport in Kent, WA.

We saw a lot of amazing scenery, but my one regret was too much time in the car and not enough to get out and really soak it all in! For example, we really wanted to get into the rainforest on the peninsula, but didn't have time for a real hike and thus only saw the very edge. Visiting family in Portland and the wedding certainly contributed to our time crunch.

That said, I thought the Olympic Peninsula was gorgeous and would love to spend more time there. I enjoyed the drive along Route 30; watching windsurfers on the WA side of the river; and the still steaming, lunar landscape of Mt. St. Helens - but would only include them in your trip if you're going that way already...

As for Seattle itself, we had some great pan-Asian dinners there. I know it's probably blasphemy, but while Pike Place Market was cute, I was expecting more after all the hype - maybe a tour as JJ5 suggests would have made it more interesting. At my Seattle friend's suggestion, we did take a boat tour of the city that went through the locks. I'm not usually one for guided tours, and while this one was pretty light on the useful commentary, seeing the city from that perspective was pretty cool. Quirky I know, but we happened to like hanging out at the (original) REI store too! (Another unusual place we enjoyed was a stop at the Museum of Flight on our way from the airport into Seattle...)
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are no car ferries from Seattle to the San Juans; however in the summer there's a passenger ferry operated by Victoria Clipper - http://www.clippervacations.com/ - that goes to Friday Harbor. In my view a car is needed for your itinerary, in which case the Anacortes ferry is your only option.

It's possible to combine a visit to the San Juans along with a visit to Victoria and to the Olympic Peninsula; however doing all three would mean having to rush from one place to another, probably not advisable in a short time.

If it were me I'd skip the San Juans and instead go to the Olympic Peninsula. You could easily make a day trip from Port Angeles to Victoria via either a car ferry or a passenger-only ferry - http://www.victoriaexpress.com. That way you could enjoy the peninsula and Victoria without having to spend too much time waiting in ferry lineups. (The San Juan Islands ferries are very congested in the summer, often requiring waits of several hours for sailings.)

Port Angeles is a good jumping-off point for various sights in Olympic National Park - Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, even the Pacific beaches as at La Push. A little farther from PA, but still feasible as a day excursion, is the Hoh Valley rain forest, IMO a "don't miss" part of any trip to the Olympic Peninsula.

Counting ferry time (Seattle < > Bainbridge Island) PA is around 3 hours from Seattle by car.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM

I'd suggest the Olympic Peninsula and Victoria. You mix up stunning mountains, coastal country, an interesting city, and ferry ride.

On the Olympic Peninsula, you can visit Hurricane Ridge (must see, spectacular scenery - one side mts like the alps, the other side across the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Victoria); Lake Crescent, and maybe even have time to go to the Hoh Rain Forest. Then to Pt Angeles and across to Victoria for 2 nights.

So, I'd suggest:

Day 1: Seattle
Day 2: L. Crescent - Visit Hurricane Ridge
Day 3: L. Crescent - Hang around; maybe Hoh Rainforest
Day 4: Pt Angeles overnight to catch ferry in AM
Day 5: Victoria
Day 6: Victoria (see Buchardt Gdns)
Day 7: Seattle

Hopefully, you can swing 7 days.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM

I think you're just going to have to read a little more about these places, and see what appeals to you most. It's impossible to get the best of the PNW in a week, so you're definitely going to have to omit some very worthwhile places. I personally would not miss the San Juans, but I WOULD skip Victoria (many people love it but I find it over-the-top touristy). Stick to the top half of the Olympic Peninsula (Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, Hoh Rainforest, Lake Ozette, La Push)--don't waste time on the UNscenic southern half.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider staying in Port Townsend,WA on the Olympic Pen..Victorian seport, lots of dining choices, within reach of Hurricane Ridge and Port Angeles ferry to Victoria.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So much of this is simply personal choice. I'd also suggest a guidebook with photos to narrow down your plans. Personally I'm not a big fan or either Victoria or the Olympic peninsula. I love Whidbey Island, the beach out around Graylands, Ocean Shores, and inland/east over the North Cascades highway to Wintrop/Mazama area. San Juan islands are certainly nice but take a bit of doing to get there. The only 'water taxi' I'm aware of is from downtown Seattle over to West Seattle.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM

I suggest you rethink this.

In particular, save Victoria for a separate 7-day trip - perhaps "Victoria, Vancouver and areas just outside of each".

THEN for this trip, you can do right by Seattle (3 days) and Olympic National Park and surrounding area (4 days).