Reataurants on the Big island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to the Big Island in March. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for great restaurnats on the Big Island.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM

For good beer and gourmet pizza, Kona Brewing. For very casual lunch, Killer Tacos. Little strip mall place but awesome burritos, etc. We have younger kids so didn't go too high end. Had dinner one night at the Kona Inn and it was average food, overpriced with a very long wait.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Roy's was very good. We also liked Cafe Pesto and Kona Brewing. My favorite and least expensive meal was a fish sandwich at Huggo's on the Rocks. Nothing beats a tasty sandwich and beer when you are next to the ocean!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Thai Thai is great in Volcano. Not a lot of atmosphere but GREAT food.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM

cafe pesto! There is one in Hilo and one in South Kohala (north of Kona)
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Restaurants we have enjoyed during our trips to the BI (8th trip coming up in March)

We don't go to Kailua much--but did go to Killer Tacos in November and second that recommendation. The kalua pork burrito was huge and delicious (the restaurant is located in the Old Industrial Area on Luhia St in the strip mall where Tyke's laundromat is)

In south Kona

Ke'ei Cafe in Kainaliu--very fresh food--wonderful catch of the day prepared several ways--interesting appetizers. No credit cards. Make reservations for dinner. Also open for lunchb 808-328-8451

Adrianas--in the Kealakakua Ranch Center (where Choice Mart is located)--closed on weekends--great El Salvadoran style tamales and burritos--very small has a few tables outside--cheap

In Keauhou
Kenichi Pacific http://www.restauranteur.com/kenichi/
great sushi, sashimi-delicious seafood entrees--reservations a good idea--pricy but worth it

In Waimea--Merriman's http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/ Hawaiian regional cuisine (Peter Merriman was one of the first to do it) expensive--in lovely up country Waimea--it's always cooler there than in Kailua or Kohala

Daniel Thiebaut's (I think now called Chef Daniel's Seafood Cafe) http://www.danielthiebaut.com/ in a historic building in Waimea--dinner only I think

Hawi--Bamboo Cafe http://www.bamboorestaurant.info/restaurant.htm--I loooove the kalua pork and cabbage--and the potstickers

Honokaa--Tex Drive In http://texdrivein.com/abouttex.html freshly fried malasadas -- yummy also have some tasty wraps and good burgers--eat with the locals--inexpensive

In Hilo--Restaurant Kaikodo http://www.restaurantkaikodo.com/ in a historic bank building downtown. Pacific Rim food--reasonably priced (and it has the most beautiful ladies room I have ever seen)

Pahoa--if you go to Puna--go to Paolo's Bistro right on the main street--fabulous Italian and last time we were there BYOB

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM

We did some fine dining when we were here in October. We had dinner at Roy’s in Waikoloa. Again, we had calamari as an appetizer and fish entrees – opah and opakpaka which were both moist, flakey and light tasting. We had their signature chocolate soufflé that we shared and it was too die for!

On the way back to hotel from VNP, we stopped in Hilo and happened upon Harrington’s. It was late and we really didn’t have a place picked out. We saw that there were a lot of car’s in the parking lot at 8:30 pm and thought that was a good sign. We had a really good meal and were surprised that we had lucked out with our random choice. DH had a spicy thai shrimp dish and I had opah again. Nice wait staff and a pretty location overlooking the Ice Pond although it was dark when we were there. Lots of locals eating there, always a good sign to me.

Our last dinner was DH’s birthday dinner. It was so difficult to pick a place…lots of good suggestions from everyone on here. In the end it was Pahu i’a at the Four Seasons. We had a table right by the edge, nearest the beach which had large spotlights on it and the ocean was a bit rough so the waves were breaking and foaming while we ate…so pretty. We had excellent service and food, as I had expected. A note – while the entire meal was expensive and we don’t mind paying for good food, I would pass on ordering appetizers. They were very expensive {I had coconut fried shrimp 2 for $20 and DH and Duck spring roll which I think was $1 and while tasty, certainly not worth the money. DH had the moi which was melt in your mouth and I had mac crusted mahimahi which was crispy on top and flaky tender inside. We split a banana trilogy which had Banana Lumpia, Banana Vanilla Chiboust, Banana Cake and Ice Cream and was yummy. Then they brought over some chocolate truffles on a special plate for DH with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate!

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Ag3046

Merriman's Cafe in the King's Shopping Center in Waikoloa has an interesting Mediterranean menu. I thought the eggplant sandwich and the hummus and pita appetizer were wonderful. A nice change from the pacific cuisine.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all your suggestions. We will definately try some of them. I will find out from the concierge at the Fiarmont if we need reservations at any of these.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm still lamenting the loss of Sam Choy's cafe in the industrial park by the airport, but sic transit loco moco.

However, there's still Ocean Sushi Deli in Hilo for the best, cheap, funky sushi anywhere.