Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   re: waikiki trolley (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/re-waikiki-trolley-547107/)

uhoo Jul 26th, 2005 06:43 PM

re: waikiki trolley

hi,

i am considering to purchase waikiki trolley ticket for sightseeing during our honolulu vacation. but i have some questions about how does the trolly work?

1. we will be staying at hilton hawaiian village hotel and i know the trolly has stop at this hotel. do we need to aboard the trolly from our hotel at certain time ? or we can just board the trolley anytime of the day?

2. if we want to go back to the hotel, do we need to wait for a longtime for next trolly?

if anyone has experiences with waikiki trollly, i want to know if it's a good choice for sightseeing around honolulu(they have a buy one get one free speical for 4 day pass now!)

appreciate your suggestions.

suze Jul 26th, 2005 08:52 PM

Hopefully someone can answer your questions about the trolley, but I can recommend public transpo on The Bus to get around. www.thebus.org for routes, schedules, rates, rules.

I'm pretty sure it would run much more frequently than the tourist trolley.

dusty56438 Jul 26th, 2005 10:08 PM

Besides the Waikiki Trolley, there are others including a free trolley to Hilo Hattie's and some that are chartered.

I have taken zero trolley trips so I can't help you.

Here is their website:

www.waikikitrolley.com

There is a lot of info there on schedules, destinations, etc.

The reason I mentioned the other trolleys is that you have to be careful which ones you can get on with the Waikiki Trolley pass.

Also do a Yahoo (or other search engine) search: waikiki trolley

Lots of helpful info.

You can also go to most destinations on the bus.

www.thebus.org

$2/trip or $20/four day pass or $40/month pass.

offlady Jul 26th, 2005 10:48 PM

We rode the trolley last time we were in Waikiki. It is not as frequent as the city bus but it makes fewer stops than the bus. It is open air unlike the city bus which is enclosed and air conditioned. Also, the trolley doesn't venture too far off from Waikiki-Ala Moana shopping center area. You may still need to take the city bus, taxi, or tour bus for other excursions.

kamahinaohoku Jul 27th, 2005 05:37 AM

The Waikiki Trolley runs 4 separate Routes, some of which DO venture far away from Waikiki:
Red Line - Honolulu City Line which stops at:
Honolulu Academy of Arts, Waikiki Aquarium, King Kamehameha Statue, Foster Botanical Gardens, Duke Kahanamoku Statue, Iolani Palace/State Capitol, Bishop Museum, and Hawaii Maritime Center.

Blue Line - Ocean Coast Line:
Duke Kahanamoku Statue, Waikiki Aquarium, Halona Lookout, Sea Life Park, and Diamond Head Lookout.

Yellow Line - Dining & Shopping

Pink Line - Ala Moana Shopping Shuttle

The trolley run on a circular route which return every 20-30 minutes, so that's the longest you'll wait for a pickup. You can board at any time.

I would suggest taking the Red Line downtown to visit the historic area. Make sure you make reservations in advance to visit the Iolani Palace (www.iolanipalace.org), and from noon to 1pm on Fridays only, the Royal Hawaiian Band plays music at the Coronation Pavillion on the grounds of the Palace. You could go behind the palace and see the State Capitol building. Go across the street from Iolani and see the King Kamehameha Statue. Then walk a few blocks up and visit the Mission Houses museums and the Kawaiahao Church.

After all this, get back on the Trolley and go see the Hawaii Maritime Center Museum. And if you're hot and thirsty, go next door to that to the Aloha Tower Marketplace and stop for a cold one ((B)) (and some food) at the Gordon Biersch Brewery. :))
((S))((*))

suze Jul 27th, 2005 06:40 AM

wow, thanks for the details! the Red Line especially would have been real handy for me last trip. i saw the trolleys around but didn't know how they worked or where they went. now i do! thank you.

kamahinaohoku Jul 27th, 2005 08:07 AM

You're most welcome, suze.
((S))((*))

uhoo Jul 29th, 2005 05:51 PM

after i post this inquiry under hawaii zone a few days ago, i don't know why i can't find my posting until today.so i re-post it again.sorry about that.

thanks for all the informations and i'll definitely give it a thought!