Re: Aspen Square, Aspen, Colorado

Jun 25th, 2006, 05:56 PM
MaureenB

Re: Aspen Square, Aspen, Colorado

We just returned from a four-night stay at Aspen Square, in downtown Aspen, Colorado. I have to say we were disappointed in them, because we were given a two bdrm/two bath unit that was VERY dated and worn out. It looked like it was last decorated in the 70s, and things were pretty ratty.
The other two times we stayed at Aspen Square over the past eight or so years, we had a two bdrm/two bath unit that was spectacular-- marble bathrooms, granite kitchen, new maple cabinets, new furniture, etc. So, we thought all their units were that nice, and didn't think to inquire further about furnishings.
When we arrived, we were given our choice between two equally ratty units, and one was on the first floor with the street right outside the patio door. The unit we had as 135-- not good. The unit next door, 134, is the very nice marble and granite two bedroom/two bath. When I asked management if we could move for our last nights, I was told no way, they were booked solid, and they had some 'very special' people coming in (which implied they didn't think we rated the good room).
I asked about prices, and it made me unhappy that our ratty unit cost as much as the super deluxe unit next door. I like the way The Gant in Aspen prices its units-- standard, deluxe and superior, depending on furnishings and view-- much more appropriate and honest.
Aspen Square management was not very helpful or friendly when I expressed my dismay about paying as much as the deluxe unit, when our oven didn't work, cabinet doors were sprung, tabletops were faded and stained, faucets leaked, furniture was worn, the 'master' bedroom had a teeny TV, the front room TV was perched on a dresser with the VCR balanced on top of that, etc. Aspen Square bluntly told me I should have asked for a recently renovated unit-- as though I was supposed to know that. So, if you stay at Aspen Square, just specify you want a newly-renovated unit. And good luck.
I did pick up a brochure from another place which looked nice in downtown Aspen, so if you're looking, I can find the name and number and post it. The front desk man said their two bedroom unit has three baths, two fireplaces, and was just $20 more per night than we were paying at Aspen Square. No view, though.
Another problem with our unit at Aspen Square was that the unit next door was being gutted, and they'd start working some mornings as early as 7:00. Also, street noise was very loud in our corner unit, with buses going by and construction down there, too.
Oh, well, the weather was beautiful, our raft trip on the Roaring Fork was a blast (Colorado Whitewater company is great), and we love Aspen.
P.S. For all those who think Aspen is only for the glitzy and glamorous-- it is really not that way. People dress very casually there, even at dinner. I find Aspen is very friendly and down-home Colorado, even though Prada and Gucci are there. Restaurants are relatively pricey, but that's true in any resort town. It's still our favorite in the summertime.

Jun 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM
MaureenB

Correction: Aspen Whitewater was the raft trip company we liked.

Search this Thread