Notices

Rapid City to Sidney

Mar 19th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Rapid City to Sidney

We're planning a trip to the Black Hills in July. My husband wants to make a road trip from Rapid City to Cabella's in Sidney. I know it will be a long trip, is it worth it? Is there anything to see along the route? (We'll allow one day to travel down and visit and one to travel up).
Mar 19th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Tess

It depends if you like Oregon Trail history or not. If you do, well, you're in luck! We live near the route you'd be taking (which is basically Hwy. 385 straight south from Rapid to Sidney). You would see Carhenge in Alliance (bizarre tourist attraction consisting of an exact replica of Stonehenge, only this one is made out of old cars). Very odd and kitschy but evidently world-wide famous. Dunno...do a search and see what you think--it cracks me up every time I see it.

Make a detour on Hwy. 26 south of Alliance and you can see Chimney Rock and Scotts Bluff National Monument, both Oregon Trail mainstays. In fact, tours will show you ruts that still exist of the actual trail.

That's basically it along the way--even though we only live an hour from Sidney, my husband can't pass by Cabela's without just a 'little stop.' Must be a guy thing but it really is a neat store. Have a buffalo burger while you're there!

Aug 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Well, we've made the trip. Although the journey through Nebraska was long and flat, I'm glad we included it. The terrain is vastly different from the Mid-Atlantic region so it was interesting to us. Carhenge was a fun stop and we really liked Scott's Bluff. Thanks for the tips.

P.S. My husband bought his souveniers at Cabela's, I bought mine at the Black Hills Gold factory.
Aug 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Tess

Glad you had fun! Were you there for the bike rally in Sturgis?

Search this Thread