Notices

Ranch experience in Bandera, Texas

Feb 15th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Ranch experience in Bandera, Texas

We're spending a week in San Antonio, and we wanted to spend a day at one of the ranches in nearby Bandera, Texas. My 6-year-old son seems just old enough to horseback ride at most of these places, and nearly all of them seem to offer day or half-day rates.

Any recommendations? Ones I've looked at include Silver Spur Ranch, Dixie Dude Ranch, Maya Ranch, and Rancho Cortez, but there seem to be lots of choices.

Any recommendations? We're not staying over night, just driving out for the day.

Thanks!
Feb 15th, 2014, 10:38 AM

A 6 year old with no experience on a horse? Are you sure it's not a pony? And is your son enthused about horses? (I once tried to take my brother - in his 20s - riding and it was just too high for him.)
Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:54 PM

Six years old is a little young for horseback riding. Kids that age still don't have good hand-eye coordination yet. He could be led around on a pony, but that's really about it. Once he turns 8, he will be much more ready. (FYI: I was a horseback riding instructor at a camp every summer when I was in college.)

Search this Thread