Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ranch, Cattle Herding/Slaughtering Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ranch-cattle-herding-slaughtering-vacation-149660/)

ryan Jul 25th, 2001 03:37 PM

Ranch, Cattle Herding/Slaughtering Vacation

I saw a cattle ranch profiled on the Travel Channel (I think it was in Montana) that had a cattle drive followed by traditional cattle slaughtering. I think it was run by a family named Donner but I can't find it listed on the net <BR> <BR>Has anyone stayed here? <BR> <BR>Thanks

whats Jul 26th, 2001 03:48 AM

Are you sure you want to attend a slaughtering held by the Donner Party?

Ugh! Jul 26th, 2001 04:24 AM

Is it just me or does anyone else find the prospect of a 'Cattle Slaughtering Vacation' appaling ?!

ryan Jul 26th, 2001 05:08 AM

I actually find it quite appealing! I can participate in a real old fashion ranch operation from the cattle drive to the butchering process. That's a piece of American history.<BR><BR>People eat fresh fish, why not fresh beef?

xxx Jul 26th, 2001 05:26 AM

Ryan is a BIG TROLL, obviously!

Jim Jul 26th, 2001 08:09 AM

I've actually seen a couple of cattle field-slaughtered (in Montana), and there is nothing appealing about it. Dressing up like a cowboy and riding horses is appealing, but the dirty work of butchering definitely is not.

x Jul 26th, 2001 08:13 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the purpose of the cattle drives to take the cattle to market to sell? From there they got shipped on the rails to the larger cities where the slaughter houses were? When cattle was slaughtered on the ranches, before the days of electricity and refrigeration, it was typically one and eaten fairly quickly. Right?

kimberly Jul 26th, 2001 08:15 AM

Ryan, <BR>You are disgusting! Killing animals is an outrage and any person that does so deserves the same treatment! <BR> <BR>Animals have rights and should not be used for food, sport or testing of products! <BR> <BR>I hope to find out the name of this ranch so that I can put its name on the PETA website! <BR> <BR>ANIMALS HAVE RIGHTS!

OO Jul 26th, 2001 08:21 AM

.....Woe is me....here we go again. Fasten your seat belts folks.

bert Jul 26th, 2001 08:22 AM

kimmie, <BR>don't you and your little friends have anything better to do. I'm bettin your one of them little rich girls that needs a cause becuase mommie and daddie were hippies and made it sound romantic. how about save the people! <BR> <BR>animals are here to be eaten, hunted and used for clothes. they don't have rights, there animals! <BR> <BR>like the man says "if we weren't meant to eat animals then they shouldn't be made out of meat"

Ernie Jul 26th, 2001 08:24 AM

Bert, puhleease!! Aren't you the big macho, redneck!

kimberly Jul 26th, 2001 08:32 AM

bert, <BR>I'm not going to call you a pig because that dehumanizes the pig! <BR> <BR>you deserve the same treatment that you describe. Right wing Republican fanatics like you are the reason for all the social problems in this country. <BR> <BR>I'm sure you'll die of a heart attack from all the animal fat clogging your arteries! When you do, I'll have my dogs pee on your grave as revenge! <BR> <BR>

medium rare Jul 26th, 2001 08:39 AM

we live in america, and if ryan wants to watch animals being slaughtered he has every right to do it without getting a lecture from kimberly or any of her other pinhead PETA friends. <BR> <BR>kimberly, there's nothing like a good steak. you don't know what you're missing.

Tofu Lover Jul 26th, 2001 08:40 AM

Kimberly- speaking as a vegetarian of 13 years, let me just say-- shut up! This is a troll post, not an excuse for you to go on a PETA inspired rant.

Leone Jul 26th, 2001 09:17 AM

Kimberly, I like your fire! The image of your dogs peeing on Bert made me smile. I know someone with a mink coat, but from what I've hear, even PETA disavows any involvement with those mean little critters. Good luck with this Fodor bunch though ... you're wandered into a real beef and potato crowd. Ciao

kimberly Jul 26th, 2001 09:18 AM

To Tofu Lover <BR>I respect your right to criticize. But unless we stick together helpless and defenseless animals will continue to be killed. <BR> <BR>Yes this is a travel site. But, animals don't get vacations but inhuman people do. <BR> <BR>I've already contacted several organizations in Montana and we are going to stop this death camp!

medium rare Jul 26th, 2001 09:26 AM

oh kimberly, get over yourself. <BR> <BR>nobody gives a rats ass about you or your politics.

Tofu Lover Jul 26th, 2001 09:27 AM

This "death camp" that may or may not exist, except perhaps in the mind of some guy on a travel forum (who THINKS it was in Montana) and who may or may not be a troll? Okaaaay... Well, good luck!

TWOINONE Jul 26th, 2001 09:30 AM

<BR>People, please wake up! Ryan and Kimmy are obviously one and the same person just stirring things up like a good troll does. Note that Kimmy spelled vegan in her last posting as vagan. At least be consistent in your spellings if you are going to troll. <BR> <BR>

ryan Jul 26th, 2001 09:33 AM

To Two in One, <BR>Actually, its three in one. It is a slow day on the trading floor and thought I would try a little experiment. <BR> <BR>Sorry to waste anyone's time <BR> <BR>Ryan/Kimberly/Bert