Raleigh/Durham- What to do with guests?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM
ewt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raleigh/Durham- What to do with guests?

Hi All,

So, I have guests coming to visit two weekends in a row and I'm trying to think what to do with them. Believe it or not, I have lived here for about 3 years, but I still haven't figured out the hot spots or unique places to take people while they are visiting.

Both of these guests have been here at least once before, so we've done Duke Gardens, a general tour of Duke, "downtown" Chapel Hill, Glenwood South, Cameron Village, and City Market. So, what else is there? Are there some unique things that people would recommend showing to guests that I have not done with them before? Have any of you who visited Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill in past done something special that you could only do here?

Additional note: These people are all well-traveled, so things that are unique to the are would be great (i.e. not Southpoint mall and the like).

Thanks so much!

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Have you done NC Museum of Art?
Other NC museums in Raleigh?
State Capitol and Governor's Mansion?

Take them to dinner at the Angus Barn.

Tour historic Hillsborough.

Drive to Wilbur's in Goldsboro for Eastern NC style barbecue.

I live in Greensboro and highly recommend touring the Guilford Battleground National Park.

You could even drive to Beaufort or Wilmington for the day.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
ewt
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We have been to the museum (and the flea market, but I forgot to mention that). I like the other suggestions though. Thank you! Keep them coming. Oh and one of the guests in her late 20s, so any other suggestions for that age group is appreciated.

I need to investgate Beaufort. I have never heard of that area as a destination, so I have no idea what is there. Also, isn't Hillsborough a tiny town? I thought it was a little village, so I had no idea it was a tourist destination. I keep hearing the hype about the branch of Weaver St Mkt moving there, so I admit that I thought there was not much else going on.

Thanks for the tips!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM

If you don't have one yet, get a NC Touring Book from AAA. Lots of good information.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Hillsborough is small, but packed with hsitory. I think the website is HistoricHillsborough.com (.org? .gov?) Go see the Daniel Boone Statue and visit the Occoneechee State park.

Go to Pittsboro and antique shopping with a trip to Fearrington before or after. Have they seen a belted Galloway cow? Specialty stores in the community, plus it's the only 5* and diamond place in the state of NC.

Do they like nature? Take a walk along the American Tobacco Trail. About 6 miles north of I-40 in Durham. Around 20 miles south, but there are breaks in the trail due to missing bridges.

The zoo in Asheboro along with potters in nearby Seagrove.

Wilmington isn't too far for a day trip to see the beach, USS North Carolina and some gardens there.

Very easy to get Duke football tickets, but it is Duke football. NC State Fair starts in mid-October. Hockey starts soon. And the most important sports news is basketball starts again in mid-October.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM

If they are into beer:

www.carolinabrew.com

www.bigbossbrewing.com

Tours and free beer!!

Both get very crowded. I'd choose Carolina over Big Boss.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM

How about Old Salem? It is really spectacular and well worth a visit.

Beaufort is a wonderful little town. I am headed down there in a few weeks and will post a trip report. It has some great restaurants and is very interesting historically.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Don

The Oakwood or Five Points neighborhoods in Raleigh, Fearrington House or Crook's Corner for dinner, a movie at the Rialto.

I can sympathize with you. We lived there 15 years and were always trying to figure out touristy places to take people. Great place to live, though.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:15 PM
ewt
Original Poster

Fantastic! These are great tips both for me, and for my guests Thank you everyone!