Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rain in Waipouli (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rain-in-waipouli-693314/)

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 09:48 AM

Rain in Waipouli

Hi Friends
We are on the bug infested, rooster crowing, rainy island of Kauai. It's beautiful.

Oh well, going out now....bet I see a rainbow!!

Just wanted to toss another bone to my friend, iamq. Don't worry, you really don't want to come back here anyway. They rolled up our sidewalk last night at 9 pm!

((r))Donita

iamq Apr 2nd, 2007 10:40 AM

WOOF! ((&))

lcuy Apr 2nd, 2007 11:07 AM

9 pm on a sunday night! How come so late??

>:-)

olesouthernbelle Apr 2nd, 2007 12:47 PM

I've been gone a week and a half and I expected, when I returned, to be able to catch up on all of the iceeu2 gang's fun on the Big Island!

I certainly didn't expect to see the K9 gang being so passive about the huge LACK of info here!!!

Am I the only one who wants to shake things up abit & raise alittle cain about all the hype of things to come that hasn't???

Whew! I see you've made it to the boring island! So maybe NOW you can fill us in on the fun stuff on the BI!

(Really, with my upcoming trip, I want to know what you did that you'd recommend passing up, as I have too much on my itinerary!).

Have fun and post when you get a chance!((f))

iamq Apr 2nd, 2007 01:28 PM

OSB,

I properly chastised Donita about her hit and run posts (which btw she has been doing since she left), but it has done no good. As usual she continues to ignore me. Her trip report better be better than these little jealousy-inducing tidbits!

Bill

olesouthernbelle Apr 2nd, 2007 03:11 PM

Bill: Agreed! I just can't wait!!

Kealalani Apr 2nd, 2007 04:29 PM

I just googled that Rainy Resort. Last time I was there it looked like a big construction mistake surrounded by a landscaping nightmare of dead palm trees.

WOW it looks amazing! Check out the website!

That Donita is one wicked wahine! Trip report!!!!!!

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 10:09 PM

Oh my dear gulls. Don't get so antsy. Both of our blood pressures dropped when our flight landed here on Kauai. Must be about 50/20!!!! No joke, we are that laid back.

Now, OSB, we did not make it to the Big Island. Instead we did 2 days on Oahu(wonderful) and 3 in Hana and 2 in Wailea. Maybe if I ever get up and about I will do a bit in Word and copy and paste it for you.

Today was our first full day on Kauai. After we stopped yesterday at Costco, KMart and Safeway for provisions-wine, vodka and POG being the essentials, we just checked into the beautiful Waipouli Beach Resort in Kapaa. The unit we are staying in I found on vrbo.com. It is also a member of Outrigger's Condominium Collection. OSB, you may want to look on vrbo and stay at this place. The unit we are in, I ended up paying $199/night. The refrigerator is a Sub Zero and the cooktop is Wolf. Granite counter tops. The real icee and I love this condo, especially the kitchen. It is across the street from Safeway.

Ok...so, we got here on Sunday afternoon. Unpacked, did laundry, walked the resort and the beach. Long after our pupus and cocktails, we walked across the street to La Playita Azul and shared a Seafood Burrito. It was a huge flour tortilla filled with fish, shrimp, scallops, veggies and rice and beans. Had some kind of tangy sour cream topping. Really good
and huge. The chef has recently left here and gone to a new place called Monico's Taqueria and taken most of the business to that location down the road, but our food was great and we didn't have to wait.

To be continued......

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 10:34 PM

Well, today we just woke to rain, roosters and bugs. Why does anyone want to come here?

This was a laid back and business tending kind of day.

A few years ago, I had purchased a couple of kahelelani shell necklaces and bracelets from an artisan who displayed his wares at 'Opaeka'a Falls. Now that I am an ample size woman I don't like the way my favorite necklace chokes me, so after driving around in circles(but seeing beautiful countryside), we finally got to the falls to find he and his partner and their child were not there.

I was disappointed, so we drove down to Lydgate Park to watch the kekis play in the pools. Being the good pack rat that I am, I was able to put my hands on Lono's business card which had his phone number. Luckily, he answered my call on the first ring. He no longer does Nihau shell creations, but does carvings now. He gave me directions to his home and we trekked there and visited with he and his beautiful 3 year old daughter. I left my necklace and a bracelet with him and he is going to restring them and add an extension. He was excited to be working on a new creation, and I was excited to be getting a new look with my old goods. Happy happy! Good times indeed to quote our sistahlou! Where is she?

To backtrack a bit....2 years ago when we were here I also bought some great opihi shell carving pieces of jewelry from a fellow up by the lighthouse. Well, we ran into him at the airport yesterday in Maui. Long conversation short....he is making some new jewelry for a big show on The Big Island, and we are going up to his house in a few days and snatch a couple of new creations before their introduction. It was so great to visit with him and when his little grandson came up, it just gave me the chills when he told the kid that we were "talking story". That was a cool experience.

Continuing since all of you should be asleep right now.....

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 10:58 PM

Well, now it was time to do some eating and go ahead and ship edible goodies back home.

First stop....Hamura's Saimen in Lihue. Wonderful wonderful! The real icee had a special and I just had a small and a chicken bbq stick. What an experience. When the orders are taken the waitress sets the proper bowls out and that way the cook knows what to fill them with. Ordered a whole lilikoi pie, but then told her I would come back later since we decided we were going to Waimea for a shave ice for dessert! It's worth the drive. We had no watch or anywhere to be!! We're on vacation!!

So, we trek it down to Waimea to go to the new/old Jojo's. The new JoJo's is on the next street next to Bucky's Liquor. The lady who originally opened the JoJo's on the highway and made it famous and then sold it has opened the new place called JoJo's Shaved (yes, the sign says shaved) Ice and Treats. They also serve hot dogs and milk shakes. Anyway, I had passion orange with cream topping (condensed milk) and the real icee had something with macadamia nut ice cream and cream topping. Ono!! This new place is very clean and the young girls working there were very friendly.

Posting for now......

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:14 PM

So, from the new/old JoJo's we walked down the street to go to Aunty Lilikoi's to send stuff home. Whoops!!! The place is now Kaua'i Granola. We bought Lilikoi Granola bytes, several things of cookies, and some kind of banana taro chip things. Good snacks. But, not to send home!!!

Now, Aunty Lilikoi is still around, just down the street and in a larger location. She now is making ice cream and sorbet and is also going to start making pies. I don't remember what we shipped home, but probably wasabi passion fruit mustard, passion/coconut syrup, jellies and passion fruit juice (for pie making) and passion fruit dressing. She ships it to you thru the postal service for what it costs her. $8 or $10, I can't remember! It's that box that costs the same no matter how heavy it is.

While we were in this store, there was a local talking about some great taro chips. Well, I asked where this place was and promised not to tell y'all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The place is called Taro Ko Chips and is in Hanapepe Town. Oh, for goodness sakes, the non-descript place has the best taro chips ever. Bought some sweet potato chips also, but haven't tried them yet. This place you would never stop, much less go in, unless someone had told you to!!!! The little old lady working in the place must have been 90 years old.

We're finished eating for the day.....well, almost!!!!

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:23 PM

Ok....so now we are headed back to Kapaa to end our day............

Detour...........Ele'ele to go to The Red Dirt Shirt Factory and pick up some shirts. The real icee was able to pick up some 2nds for only $3. Bought some first quality shirts also as well as some red dirt hats. When we return home, he plows (yeah, Green Acres, it is) the lower forty in his red dirt shirts. We both also took the quiz and Yes, we are both "Older Than Dirt"!

Now, we are for sure headed back ......

Stop........Hawaiian Trading Post! It was getting near their closing time, so we just went in to dream and gawk at their Niahau Shell Necklaces. No purchases, can you believe it?

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:27 PM

The real icee is such a good sport...he remembered that I had told the lady at Hamaru's that I would come back for a pie. While he listened to the ball game on the radio, I went back into Hamura's. As soon as I walked up to the take out counter, the girl that waited on us earlier came over and said...One Pie!!!!

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:34 PM

When it was time for dinner, we were too full, burp, to go out anywhere.

Just had fresh Shoyu Poke from Costco, chicken salad sandwiches (roitesserie chicken salad from Costco), fruit and taro ko chips. I made the real icee a POG martini. Other than being too strong, he said it was good!!!!

Can't wait for tomorrow....probably will drive north after we laze around the pool and beach here for a while.

Unless the plans change, we will not pig out all day, but will build up our appetites for dinner at Kauai Pasta.

love and kisses and love and kisses.....

Donita (formerly known as i'2)((r))

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:42 PM

Happy now you know who?

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:43 PM

Oh, yeah....we did have lilikoi pie for dessert tonight.

lcuy Apr 2nd, 2007 11:55 PM

Okay "donita", this is now shaping up to be a great food, ooops, I mean, trip report.

Sounds like you're having FUN! Hope you'll post photos of the new/redone necklace.

Don't you just love eating in Hawaii? I just finished having fried limu poke, maki sushi and a quesadilla for dinner. Haupia for desert.

iceeu2 Apr 3rd, 2007 12:01 AM

Lucy, that sounds great! Yes, I do love eating in Hawaii...and we missed you the other night at Kincaid's where we ate mighty fine!

iceeu2 Apr 3rd, 2007 12:07 AM

When we did the Lihue shuffle-I got the bags and the real icee went for the car........the real icee got rooked on the car rental.

Had reserved a convertible thru Alamo for like $175 for the week. The lady told him the Sebrings were old and causing problems, but the new Mustangs (6,000 miles is new???) were great and he could "upgrade" for $10/day!!

We're driving a new Mustang! Geez, it's only money! But, a convertible is definitely the way to go!

((r))

iamq Apr 3rd, 2007 05:28 AM

Yes, I'm happy now!

Man alive, you guys get around! Keep the bones coming!

Bill