Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rain in NYC for Labor Day - Is the Trip Even Worth It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bf and I are scheduled to arrive at JFK at 1 am today for a quick weekend in NYC. It sounds like we'll be stuck inside for most of Saturday and our flight might be really late due to rain. Is it even worth the trip this weekend with the heavy rain and winds?
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:47 AM

Is it sunny where you live? If so, maybe we can switch, lol.

It looks like Saturday will be the worst day and Sunday and Monday better.

I guess it depends on how badly you want to get away. You could spend some time shopping, visiting a museum, and having leisurely meals. Are you tickets refundable? That would help me in making the decision.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:52 AM

I'd check with your airline to see if the flight is going to cancelled or not. The bulk of the rain is starting tonight and we are supposed to get more than an inch, so JFK could be closed late tonight and planes stop flying in about 1am. Arrival later than 1am and you could be diverted to Newark, or the flight could be cancelled.

If you need a bit of a getaway, you could always chalk up Saturday to staying in and ordering room service and head out Sunday and Monday to see some of the city.

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM
GoTravel

You could spend days at any one of NYC's hundreds of museums.

Matinees at the Broadway Shows.

Shopping at the big department stores.

Libraries.

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

A bit more info to help: his flight can be changed, my flight is non-refundable (bought at different times). So far our flight is only 30 min. delayed. We're scheduled to leave Monday at 1:40 pm which leaves no time to really do anything that day. We have tickets to a show on Sat. night and were planning to do the met during the day. we're not keen on spending all day sat in our room. On Sun. the plan is to wander around rockefeller center/bryant park area. still worth it?
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:22 AM

Well - it's not like the world is going to end - just some rain. And now it looks like Fri night and Sat will be bad, the other times some showers or perhaps not.

If you planned on doing only outdoor things it's an issue. But if you planned on spending some time indoors anyway (museums, shopping, broadway show) just bring an umbie and soldier on.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM

My favorite trips to NYC have been during the rain and during a blizzard. The city doesn't stop, it just has an umbrella. You sneak into somewhere to get a coffee and dry off and suddenly you've found a street you've never seen, a restaurant with great scenery, a museum off the beaten path.

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM

Sure it is! It won't be raining nonstop (I hope). So you'll spend more time in cafes, drinking wine, shopping, seeing museums, etc. You'll spend less time walking around. So what?

Why not check in, sleep late, have brunch, do some shopping, then head to the Metropolitan Museum tomorrow. See a few exhibits, have a glass of wine on the mezz and listen to some music. Then head east to 86th and Mad to Centolire (or Serafina -- for a lower budget) for some Italian food. Finish it all off with a movie. Sounds like a great weekend to me!