Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   RAIN in Kauai in the next two weeks. Help! :( (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rain-in-kauai-in-the-next-two-weeks-help-651978/)

mphiebig Oct 10th, 2006 05:10 AM

RAIN in Kauai in the next two weeks. Help! :(

Hi!

My fiance & I are leaving for our wedding (we're eloping & having a small ceremony on Shipwreck beach 10/16) this Thursday. It's our first time going to Hawaii so we're psyched! We're staying in Kauai the entire time- 1/2 time in the north shore and 1/2 in the south.

I checked the forecast and it looks like it's going to rain pretty much from the time we get there until late next week! So I'm kind of bummed since we were hoping to get married at sunset...but if the sun isn't out there probably won't be one, right?

My question to you all who know the island/have been there:
When they say showers...does it usually rain ALL day? Will there be any chance of the sun coming out? I heard it rains alot less on the south shore...does that mean the rain there will be lighter/scattered?
Should we hold up umbrellas during our ceremony? :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Melissa

joan Oct 10th, 2006 05:16 AM

I don't have advice for you, just wanted to say Congratulations - and Best Wishes for a fabulous future.

Isn't rain a sign of good fortune on one's wedding day? :)

sistahlou Oct 10th, 2006 05:31 AM

Best wishes for a long and happy and healthy life together!

It usually rains somewhere on Kauai everyday, so I have my fingers crossed that you will be blessed with the beautiful passing shower here and there. I like the late afternoon showers of the northshore. They freshen the air and make the sunsets even more glorious.

Where did you decide to stay?

Excited for you. Do you need a flower girl and ring bearer? Iamq and I would step up!!!

iamq Oct 10th, 2006 05:45 AM

I NEVER look at the forecasts for Hawaii anymore, because they always say "rain" and it usually is just gorgeous most of the time.

I hope to be married on Kaua'i someday. Have a fabulous time.

There is nothing in the world like being rained on as you stand on the shores of Hanalei Bay gazing at the brightest, most beautiful rainbow that just appeared before you. No need for an umbrella, in fact I always feel like ripping off my clothing and stand there naked! ;;)

-Bill

sistahlou Oct 10th, 2006 05:52 AM

I dont think the happy couple wants a "naked" ring bearer billy!!!

mphiebig Oct 10th, 2006 05:54 AM

Thank you all for your warm wishes and congrats!! I appreciate it so much!

We're renting a beach house in Hanalei the 1st half and staying at the Grand Hyatt the 2nd.

The only people who will be there are my best friend & her boyfriend...so we Hey if you're in the area... ;)

kerikeri Oct 10th, 2006 07:12 AM

congratulations but don't worry.

last spring there was so much rain in hawaii that it made the news on the mainland- floods everything and we had booked a week.

i was worried the whole time before and you know what? sun, sun, sun!

like someone else said, it rains a little everywhere in hawaii everyday, but that doesn't mean it won;t be sunny. the sky keeps moving over the islands...you'll see blue skies.

kerikeri :)

starrsville Oct 10th, 2006 07:15 AM

We decided against a jeep on the first trip to Hawaii since we arrived in an afternoon rainstorm. Learned that it rained EVERY afternoon for a few minutes.

Tropical location = tropical weather. It is unusual for it NOT to rain each day for a few minutes (kinda like Florida :-) ).

trippinkpj Oct 10th, 2006 07:40 AM

You are on the sunny side of the island (Shipwreck Beach is at Poipu right?), I think you should be fine.
Typically, showers are scattered and not a consistent rain. See if you can find a specific forcast for Poipu Beach, Koloa or Kalaheo.

auntiemaria Oct 10th, 2006 07:46 AM

As a Kaua`i resident myself, I can tell you that it's rare for this island to have a full 24 hours with zero rain. Mostly the rain comes during the evening...

Yesterday the northshore (Princeville/Hanalei) had just one early morning shower -- but Po`ipu/Lihu`e/Kapa`a got drenched by nearly day-long showers. Go figgah! 8-)

cruisin_tigger Oct 10th, 2006 09:32 AM

Congrats! Shipwreck Beach is beautiful...and listen for the large boulders that get tossed around in the surf, very cool.

BayView Oct 10th, 2006 12:14 PM

My last 2 visits to Kauai had several days with rain. Still able to sit out poolside or beachside for part of the dayor every other day. Kayaking and other watersports and zip-lining are not really affected by rain.

Probably a good idea to pack Umbrellas &/or rain slicker. Having clouds in the sky will enhance the sunset so hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.

Julie304 Oct 11th, 2006 09:28 AM

Hi Melissa--we just returned from 2 weeks on Kauai (9/24-10/8). Don't worry about the weather. At the start of our second week, they were forecasting showers for pretty much 7 straight days (we were really bummed) and it ended up barely raining at all. In fact, we had some of the most beautiful, bright sunny weather of our entire trip on days they had originally forecast to be rainy (and we stayed up north). When they happen, showers rarely seem to last long anyway. I seriously doubt that you'll have much of a problem on the sunny south shore. Have a great trip!

Kal Oct 11th, 2006 11:00 AM

:-? Rain on Kauai???
<i> WHO KNEW?</i>

It poured on our wedding night 26 yrs ago and it's been the best 24 yrs of my life...:-&quot;

annahead Oct 11th, 2006 04:03 PM

Congrats and enjoy your wonderful trip. Don't bother reading the weather reports for Kauai. Sure it rains on Kauai, wettest spot on earth....yada yada yada. You're about to travel to what I would describe as paradise on earth, and all that rain makes it possible. What would a trip to Kauai be without about a dozen rainbows a day? A disappointment if you ask me.