Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   rain in Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rain-in-kauai-1011453/)

brooklynwings Apr 14th, 2014 02:18 PM

rain in Kauai

Hi. We leave Friday for a week in Kauai. The weather looks terrible for Kauai, but the rest of Hawaii looks beautiful. Does Kauai get rain that passes quick? We are wondering if now we should split the trip up and fly to another island.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Gilbert56 Apr 14th, 2014 02:41 PM

It always rains somewhere on Kauai - every day. But fear not, the weather forecast will ALWAYS say "rain" or "scattered showers". Doesn't always mean that will happen. Most of the time they are passing showers.

Are you staying on the north shore or south shore?
North shore will get more "passing showers". I certainly wouldn't even think about splitting the trip and flying to another island.

If you are staying north and the weather looks crappy, head south and the weather will probably clear up by the time you reach Kapa'a.

You will probably encounter some rain during your stay if you are on the north shore. Can have its benefits too - lots of waterfalls in the mountains and rainbows too.

brooklynwings Apr 15th, 2014 05:55 AM

Thanks. We are staying in the south shore, but we were thinking of going to the north shore for a couple of days. You made me feel so much better. I'm totally fine with some rain, but I was afraid we were going to be stuck inside the whole trip. We picked Kauai because we liked how the island sounded. Just starting to worry since we are flying all that way and the thought of not being outside after the long winter was making me nervous.

Thanks for your help.

Leigh

ChiSue Apr 15th, 2014 06:11 AM

Pay no attention to the national weather charts. The higher elevations of Kauai have lots of rain, constantly. It's one of the wettest places on earth. Doesn't mean there's any in Poipu, or even Hanaleai/Princeville.

wekewoody Apr 15th, 2014 07:34 AM

Rule #1 when visiting Kauai:

Don't look at the weather forecast before going.

Rule #2: Check your rental car for cockroaches before setting out.

FaceInTheCrowd Apr 15th, 2014 09:04 AM

If you have to check the forecast, look at the one here: http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php.

Tomsd Apr 15th, 2014 09:46 AM

Love "liquid sunshine" in Kauai. It's not a cold rain - and as noted - usually passes thru quickly.

The benefit - the most beautifully lush island in Paradise - aka - The Garden Isle" - especially the Bali Hai view beyond Hanalei on the North Shore - our favorite location in all of the islands.

jamie99 Apr 15th, 2014 10:27 AM

Most of the time the rain passes through pretty quickly and it changes from one part of the island to another. One trip we were driving up to the North Shore, not a cloud in the sky in Lihue, by Anahola it was starting to cloud over, by Anini it started sprinkling, and when we got to Hanalei it was pouring. We turned around and started back and the rain stopped!

brooklynwings Apr 15th, 2014 05:59 PM

Thank you everyone. You are making me feel so much better. You are all such a help. I can't wait for our trip. If you have any other advice for our trip to Kauai I would love to hear it.

Leigh

andrews98682 Apr 15th, 2014 08:14 PM

What's the saying -- if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes?
I visited Kauai two summers ago. I was swimming in Hanalei (sp?) Bay, next to the pier. It started to rain. I swam to the other side of the pier, a total of about 20 feet, and there was not a drop of rain. It literally was raining on one side of the pier and dry on the other.

nanabee Apr 15th, 2014 10:39 PM

The North Shore around Hanalei (which IMHO is one of the most lush, green and beautiful places on the planet!) gets a lot of rain, but it's often in the mountains (thus the beautiful rainbows).

It will be much drier and sunnier in the south around Poipu.

And remember that the rain anywhere in Hawaii is often passing thru and it's still warm. The rain just cleans out the air and makes everything sparkle.

Gilbert56 Apr 16th, 2014 07:40 AM

One of my favorite hikes is from Shipwreck Beach to Maha'ulepu beach and beyond.

You can park in a small parking lot at Shipwreck Beach (go past the Hyatt and take the first right - it's just before the golf course) Get there early as parking fills up quickly.

Just walk to the end of the beach, or there is a trail at the back of the beach through the trees. Trail will climb up onto the rocks and you will have fantastic views.
It is pretty much always windy too.
Keep walking along the cliffs, you will pass along the side of the golf course, then past CJM stables down to Gillins Beach. Keep walking around a point to Maha'ulepu beach. Keep walking up on more cliffs. You will eventually come to another bay, usually there is a big pile of driftwood there, and more often than not, you will be the only people there. This is as far as I go, as there is a fence up on the cliffs just past this beach. I think it's about 3 1/2 to 4 miles to this beach. Not swimmable, by the way, but fun to watch the waves.

Definitely bring plenty of water & maybe some snacks too. It gets HOT. But this is probably my favorite hike on Kauai.

Do you have a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (the blue book)? Lots of great information in the book and great maps too.

Definitely spend some time on the North Shore. The drive from Hanalei to the "end of the road" at Kee Beach is magnificent. Parking at Kee Beach can be a "bitch". I don't particularly care for the sand at Kee either. We always park at Haena Beach Park (by the dry cave) and walk about 1/2 mile back to Tunnels Beach. You can also walk along the beach from Haena to Kee. If you do this walk along the beach, you will come across a large rock field on the beach. You can either hop rock across the rocks, or there is a trail through the forest (which is kinda neat). You will also cross Limahuli stream. Then all of a sudden the NaPali coast comes into view. WOW. Absolutely gorgeous views of the mountains and the coastline. Double WOW !!!

If the weather co-operates, don't forget to go up to Waimea Canyon. Take Waimea Canyon Road (in Waimea). Lots of pullouts along the way view great views. The 2 best lookouts are Kalalau Lookout and the last lookout - Pu'u o Kila (save the best for last). If it is foggy or cloudy up there, wait around for a while. Clouds move in and out of the canyon all the time. Don't know how much hiking you want to do and how muddy you want to get (LOL), but the Alaka'i swamp trail is another good one.

Anini Beach is another favorite. Great for snorkeling or beach walking.

Another favorite thing we like to do is rent bikes at Coconut Coasters and ride along the bike/walking path along the east coast near Kapa'a.

The north shore of Kauai is absolutely gorgeous. Kilauea, Anini Beach, Hanalei Bay, Tunnels Beach, Haena Beach, the drive to Ke'e Beach - hard to pick a favorite. You'll see when you get there. Guarantee you will fall in love with the north shore.
Have fun on your trip !!

Tomsd Apr 16th, 2014 12:59 PM

Our favorite hike - by far - is from Ke'e beach to Hanakai'ai beach - the first two miles of the Kalalau Trail. You can then also turn inland to hike to the waterfalls- another 3? miles?

It's a somewhat challenging hike - and can be very iffy if wet, but so so beautiful.

Gilbert56 Apr 16th, 2014 01:30 PM

Be very careful with the hike from Ke'e beach to Hanakapi'ai beach and the Hanakapi'ai falls. Over 100 people were stranded there a couple of weeks ago, had to spend the night and dozens were airlifted to safety. Weather had been rainy & the streams were flooded stranding everyone there.

Last year a young woman drowned in the stream crossing and was swept out to sea. Same situation - heavy rains, people not checking the forecast, people thinking they need to check this off their "bucket list" = people were stranded overnight and several airlifted out.
If you do this hike be sure to check and double check the weather forecast.
If it has been raining the trail will be slippery, muddy, wet, with lots of rocks & tree roots to navigate.

Gorgeous views, but not something to be taken lightly, especially if you go all the way to the falls - 8 miles roundtrip.

I have hiked to the beach 3 times. Great hike, but you really need to be carefull of your footing. It does get really slippery & muddy.
Almost saw a young guy drown at Hanakapi'ai beach one time. He was smashed on the rocks every time a wave came in, then he was sucked back out with the current, repeat. Lucky for him a bigger wave washed him up close to a rock ledge and he managed to grab hold & hold on. He had several cuts and was bleeding when he finally made it to shore.

wekewoody Apr 16th, 2014 02:20 PM

The hike to the Falls was (for us) a bit dangerous and anxiety producing as you had to cross the stream a couple of times and we lost the trail a few times. Mr. Woody slipped, fell and twisted his wrist. The payoff is a gorgeous waterfall, but it was a four mile round trip hike that felt like ten. Wouldn't do that or the hike to the beach again.

BuffaloGirl Apr 16th, 2014 05:44 PM

wekewoody.......were you serious when you said this? Ugh.

Rule #2: Check your rental car for cockroaches before setting out.

wekewoody Apr 16th, 2014 07:40 PM

No BG, I was only joking.

Years ago someone once posted that they found a cockroach in their rental car. It has never happened to me.

andrews98682 Apr 16th, 2014 07:46 PM

Kee Beach was amazing -- and parking was a pain. Great snorkeling there and at Tunnels.

Shar Apr 16th, 2014 10:50 PM

great hike the Maha'ulepu Heritage trail. Incredible scenery with unusual things to see.Get there early so you can get a parking spot....Also agree about weather. we have been to Kauai 13 times and have NEVER been rained out. It might rain a bit every day but it passes or it is at night. Beautiful island. This trip we rented bikes in Kapaa and loved it. paved road for about 4 miles all along the beautiful coast. We rented for 2 hours 2 bikes for $15.00 total can't beat that. We stopped at Kealia beach for about 30 minutes on our way back. Lovely beach.. For signature meal (that is what we call our expensive dinner) I recommend Red Salt at the Koa Kea Hotel or Merrimans in the new shopping center in Poipu. was there in March. Can't wait for the next trip. Kee beach...you MUST get there very early to grab a parking spot. We ended up parking quite a ways down the road as all the parking spots were taken when we got there at 12noon.... Aloha

chepar Apr 17th, 2014 09:31 AM

>Years ago someone once posted that they found a cockroach in their rental car.<

The most disgusting experience I've ever had with a rental car anywhere was on the Big Island. We are local (live on Oahu) and were staying in Waikoloa for a weekend. From picking up the car throughout the day there were no apparent problems. That evening after dinner when we got back to the car and I opened the door, I saw a ton of little roaches scurrying all over the interior. It makes sense that we didn't see them earlier in the day - roaches will typically come out at night. However, to see so many in the car really skeeved me out, especially since we had been driving around with them all day without any idea.

When we returned the car, my BIL mentioned to the car rental employee about the roaches - and he just got a little bit of a rolled eye and "This is Hawaii". As a local, I know all about roaches, but that many in the rental car means they were not cleaning their cars properly.

Now as a caveat, I will say that the car rental agencies here usually do try to clean the cars and that was the only time I've had such a problem.