Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   rain in charleston? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rain-in-charleston-620040/)

katie_scarlett Jun 1st, 2006 08:27 AM

rain in charleston?

According to weather.com, it's supposed to rain the next 10 days in Charleston. Is it always rainy this time of year? We'll be arriving for our honeymoon on June 12, and I was expecting heat, not rain!

Brian_in_Charlotte Jun 1st, 2006 08:42 AM

You have to look more closely at the weather.com forecast. It calls for, on average, only a 30%-40% chance of rain each day. Most days you'll get none, and days it does rain will likely only be limited afternoon thunderstorms, which can be quite enjoyable. In fact, you'll learn quickly to appreciate a cooling thunderstorm. Have fun.

aileen679 Jun 1st, 2006 08:49 AM

And remember that means in the Charleston AREA which covers quite a bit of territory. These thundershowers pop up here and there quite often near the coast. They may not last but a few minutes. It's not an all day thing.

It may rain in THIS block and skip the next block over. Don't fret about it. If one comes, enjoy the cooling rain. Don't stand under trees if it really has a lot of lightning.

"Afternoon thundershowers" is a common forecast. And it can change by the hour.

GoTravel Jun 1st, 2006 08:53 AM

katie, the weather forcast from now until September for Charleston is extremely hot, very humid, and very sticky with a chance of afternoon thundershowers daily.

It probably will rain every afternoon but this will be a short thunderstorm that will roll in about 6:30PM and roll out at 7PM and leave you with a gorgeous sunset.

Also, the rain will be warm.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Bring a sweater for indoors as the cool are indoor areas to about arctic temp.

gail Jun 1st, 2006 10:21 AM

I am assuming GoTravel has it about right for Charleston, because that is about the long-range weather report for every summer in Savannah as well. Think tropical rain forest.

katie_scarlett Jun 2nd, 2006 10:15 AM

Thanks. And GoTravel, I took your advice a long time ago and have been stocking up on cardigans for the trip!

aileen679 Jun 2nd, 2006 11:00 AM

Katie....don't worry about those cardigans. They are the last things that you will need. It's WARM water falling from the skies. It's going to be hot.

Brian_in_Charlotte Jun 2nd, 2006 11:05 AM

I think she's referring to needing them in restaurants, and I think it's a good idea. Cold restaurants turn tables faster (don't want you too comfortable) and the waitstaff like it cooler as they're running around all the time. Too bad the customer has to freeze.

aileen679 Jun 2nd, 2006 12:29 PM

True, very true. That A/C in restaurants can be unbelievable. And I always seem to be right under the vent. Yep, pack a cardigan or a stole for the evening dining.