Rafting at Tetons or just north of Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been planning a 2-week road trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone with our 5 and 8 year-olds. We're thinking a rafting trip to see animals at dawn or dusk would be a lot of fun. It's got to be a calm float -- not whitewater -- for the sake of our littlest one. Any recommendations for best places to do this? We're staying in Jackson for three days on Aug. 2, 3 and 4th before heading to a cabin just north of Gardiner, MT on the northern outskirts of Yellowstone for a week.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM

Some nice flatwater floats on the Snake outfitted from Jackson (also some with whitewater so check it carefully).

I've floated parts of the Madison (outside West Y-stone) and the Yellowstone river outside Gardiner and I think the scenery is much better in the Tetons.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM

We did a 10 mile float trip down the Snake River with the Triangle X Ranch. Calm water and beautiful to see the Tetons from this perspective. A little disappointed in that we only saw a bald eagle as far as wildlife. I am sure there are other companies that do this but this one was recommended so we went with it.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM

I have done the float trip on the Snake in GTNP. I enjoyed it. We saw a bald eagle, osprey and porcupine. You probably won't see moose or buffalo on that stretch just because of the river bank. The guide was very informative.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM

The Grand Teton Lodge Company offers a scenic float trip on the Snake River. I've done it a few times and have seen a lot of wildlife (buffalo, moose, osprey. It is on a calm section of the river so no need to worry about whitewater rapids. You can check them out online at http://www.gtlc.com/activities/outdoor-fun-floats.aspx
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM

We bring our own kayaks, and take them down the Snake and love it, but for wildlife viewing, driving around the Tetons or Yellowstone can't be beat. You probably won't see as much from a raft-at least we never have. Driving around the Teton's you can see moose, bison, antelope, elk, bald eagles, osprey, beavers, big horn sheep etc. Yes, Yellowstone has fantastic wildlife sightings too, and it might be your best bear opportunity.
As far as Triangle X Ranch goes, they are wonderful people and they go out of their way to make sure you have a great time. You could even stay there. It is great in the summer for kids, with horseback riding, rafting, fishing and more. We took our whole family of 17 to stay at the Triangle X last December, and loved it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM

We just went on a scenic float with River Source Outfitters. They are just north of Gardiner, Montana (the parks north enttrance) it was incredible. We saw a herd of elk, several deer, a group of Bighorn sheep, a couple of bald eagles, an Osprey, and a few sandhill cranes. Unreal. Our guides name was "Holt" and he grew up in the area and was very knowledgeable and great with our grand kids. I highly recommed River Source Rafting Company- exceptional service
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:56 AM

If you're staying at Jackson Lake Lodge, you can get up and watch the mooses in the morning. Another must see is Oxbow Bend at sunset. Take your camera. We then went over to Hatchet and ate at The Hatchet, a great little steakhouse in the middle of nowhere with nice cold beer.

Our guys were the same age when we did that trip. Did the ferry across Jenny Lake and hiked for an hour or two. Didn't go all the way to inspiration point but it was pretty scenic. Saw a black bear up in the trees at one point. There's also a great overlook off the highway above The Snake where Ansel Adams took some of his most famous pics.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Chewy1, love your advice on GTNP. Looks like we've got plenty of rafting companies to choose from. Was hoping a time share trade would come through in Jackson, but it's looking like that won't happen. Any advice on cheaper lodgings in the Jackson area?
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 03:54 AM

As others have said, the rivers there are very calm. When we went with our kids about the same age, the outfitter looked at our home state (NC) and said, if you're expecting white water, you need to go home! We don't have it in summer, at least. It is a delightful trip.