Long layover in Miami Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be disembarking from a cruise ship early in the morning in January 2018, our flight out of Miami airport is not until 9:00 pm. As my husband is elderly and somewhat disabled, I am hoping to find somewhere to spend the day where he will have a comfortable chair and easy access to food and restrooms. Does anyone have a suggestion of a suitable lounge where we can gain access with a one day pass for less than the $59.00 advertised. We do not have any of the high end credit cards, premium airline bookings etc that I see are required for entry in most cases. I saw on line that an ebay seller has one day passes at greatly discounted prices for the United Lounge, but I am not sure that is doable/legal? or that there is even a United lounge in Miami AP. Really need some help!
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 05:40 PM

There are hotels that offer day rates from morning to evening, one is Miami Airport Hotel, right in the airport. The day rate is about 100.00. They have a pool and restaurants. You could sleep, swim, eat, etc. It is less if you check in later in the day, so you might just hang out on the ship as long as possible, eat a leisurely breakfast, etc.

Sofitel also has Day rates and provides a shuttle.

Since it is several months away, perhaps you can get the flight changed.

Even if booked now, sometimes when you arrive, things have opened up. We got off a cruise in Ft Lauderdale and had several hours before flight. Decided just to check. Seats had become available on an earlier flight and we got on.

You might check on earlier flights out of Ft Lauderdale. It is an easy airport to navigate. Even with the cost of a shuttle/van, if you save spending all those hours in the airport, plus the cost of a lounge or day room, you might be a lot better off.

Is your husband or are you retired military? There is a military lounge at MIA, but only for active duty or retired military and their families.
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello Sassafrass,
Great information! Thanks so much.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 12:27 PM

The United lounges only allow access if you have a pass AND a boarding pass for a United flight that day, so that's something to consider.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What lounge is advertising such a rate?
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Hobbert: Good to know about Boading pass. Thank you.

Dukey1: Think I saw the $59.00pp when I googled Miami airport lounges.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure when you are traveling and knowing that might help unless it was yesterday (as an example).

Which airline?
Have you thought about standing by for an earlier flight (yes, I know that can cost money but still)

There's obviously a REASON you booked this late flight. what was it?
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see that American's one day pass has gone up to $59. It was $50 the last time I bought one. Also, one of the two AA lounges at Miami is under renovation.