Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Radisson Bahia Mar, Sheraton Clipper or Yankee? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/radisson-bahia-mar-sheraton-clipper-or-yankee-335892/)

Luv2travel2 Jul 11th, 2003 05:45 AM

Radisson Bahia Mar, Sheraton Clipper or Yankee?

My husband and I are going to Ft. Lauderdale over Labor Day weekend and I'm trying to decide between these three hotels. We are wanting access to a nice beach, and be within walking distance or water taxi to restaurants, shops, nightlife. We don't need anything fancy just a nice clean hotel with the above criteria. I'm leaning more towards the Radisson since it appears that it's not quite as rundown as the Sheraton's. Although, if either of the Sheraton's have a better beach and are more convenient to restaurants, etc I will prefer one of them. Any suggestions I'll greatly appreciate. Thanks!

mclaurie Jul 11th, 2003 06:36 AM

Just did a quick text search for you here (Radisson AND ft lauderdale). The Radisson gets good reports. The Marriott Harbor Beach seems to be the favored place in this strip though. Some people reported getting good deals there on Priceline although I guess you run the risk of getting something else if you bid.

vacationmom Jul 11th, 2003 08:07 AM

Luv2Travel2, We spentd a lovely week at the Radison Bahia Mar with our family. Now, please keep in mind that this was in the summer 1999, but at the time the hotel was very, very nice and we had an extremely pleasant stay. There is a bridge from the hotel which crosses A1A and takes you directly to the beach. We loved the beach area. We walked all over the place using the hotel as our base. Lots to do within the distance of the hotel. At that time, there was a water taxi stop right at the hotel. If I can answer any more particulars, please post. Vacationmom

jmv Jul 11th, 2003 08:43 AM

I'll second the vote for Bahia Mar. Nice pool, access to beach. lots of facilities. next to a marina where you can walk along and view fabulous yachts, not far from strip with food, etc. Ft. Lauderdale has great restaurants, not all on the strip. If you have a car or can afford taxi to Oakland Park Blvd. a few miles from Bahia Mar, try the Cafe Sevilla, charming Spanish place with good food and excellent wines.

coach4448 Jul 11th, 2003 09:32 AM

I also would go with Bahia Mar.
We were very un-impressed with the Sheraton Yankee Clipper.
We found Motel like amenities for hotel price; hard beds, flat pillows, rough small towels.
While the location is good, this place wasn't worth the money. Maybe if you can get it on Priceline for $40 a night, but otherwise no.

clairelong Jul 11th, 2003 09:35 AM

We just got back from Marriott Harbor Beach which was one of the few on the beach-awesome stay! Great pool, the concierge there was so helpful, rooms are nice i wouldn't have stayed anywhere else and i did look at them all when i was down there. If there is anything more you would like to know just email me and which ever place you choose have a super time!

Luv2travel2 Jul 11th, 2003 04:08 PM

Thanks for all the help! I think I'll book with Radisson this time. I just wanted to make sure I was making a good decision. I would love to stay at Marriott Harbor Beach, but we just got back from a big vacation in Tahiti, so we're looking for a fun inexpensive weekend. Maybe next time we will try Harbor Beach. Thanks again!

diann Jul 11th, 2003 06:51 PM

Last spring my husband and I stayed at the Clipper. It is the hotel that sits right on the beach. It is somewhat tired for a Sheraton but the location was the best. We walked right out the back onto the sand. With the exception of the Marriott Beach hotel there were not many updated, or new ones. I did see the Radison and it is across the street from the beach as I recall. The water taxi is right there and across the street from the clipper. I loved FLL. I thought it was just a fabulous unique town. I would also recommend the Jungle Queen tour of Millionaire row. Very informative and fun.

clairelong Jul 11th, 2003 06:59 PM

I do recommend a tour i think we went out of the riverwalk downtown on a cruise tour and it was wonderful seeing all the celebs homes and the yachts. We enjoyed sitting on the beach watching the cruise ships come and go while the planes overhead did the same. The breeze in the evening was cool and i wouldn't trade those times for anything very relaxing and memorable. If you get a chance eat at Shooter's it's on the intercoastal waterway...we ate tons of seafood and that was by far the best food! (I'm picky). If i could do one thing or know one thing that i didn't know or do...you could go on a one day cruise to the Bahamas which we would have done for less than $100.00 but you have to have your birth certificate and people don't know to bring that so we couldn't go. Anyway...Fort Lauderdale is so fun......best place i've been plus The Florida Keys we went there on a one day trip and it's awesome especially at Big Pine Key (Bahia Honda Park) for the snorkeling the most beautiful waters you've seen!

SallySally Jul 14th, 2003 02:25 AM

We stayed at the radisson June 29 and 30. We got buy one night get one free via visa.com and paid $114 plus tax for two nights.

Room was great, nice view and a walk in closet/dressing room.

Good location and skybridge to the beach.

Luv2travel2 Jul 14th, 2003 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info on Visa buy 1 get 1 free. I just made my reservations for the Radisson. They gave me a rate of $114 for the first night, second night free, and the 3rd night $89. Since I have the room taken care of, can anyone suggest any other restaurants that we shouldn't miss. Also, is it easy to take a taxi or shuttle to the Radisson, and if so, what are the rates. Thanks everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it!

diann Jul 14th, 2003 05:12 PM

I would suggest "Charlies Crab." It was one of my fav's. The food was great so I thought it is right on the water. Vallet Parking. With 3 glasses of wine, our tab was about $80 as I recall. (for 2).

dotsy Jul 14th, 2003 08:07 PM

We have eaten several times at Dan Marino's at the Riverwalk. Food was wonderful each time. Nice area to explore.

Heartburn3 Jul 15th, 2003 07:02 PM

I live in Fort Lauderdale and told Clair about the river cruise, it's the "Carrie B" and you catch it at the Riverwalk/Las Olas area. I recently looked at their website and it is outdated (they still say they are behind the Hyde Market and it was torn down over a year ago). The Radisson can tell you how to get there, and possibly make your reservations for you.

Regarding the room, ask for a room facing north on at least the 7th floor. This will give you a beautiful view of the marinas/intracoastal waterway to the left and the ocean to the right. Be warned, the balcony is extremely tight (one person at a time unless you stand side-by-side.)

Even though I live here, I actually stayed at the Bahia Mar a couple years ago just for a nice weekend getaway with a girlfriend. I was very pleased with the hotel.

You can probably get a taxi from the airport for a reasonable price because they are relatively close to each other (4-5 miles at the most.) Also, the water taxi should still be right next door to the north of the hotel. If you rent a car, I believe the parking is free, but double-check with the hotel. If you are only here a couple days, you can hang out by the beach area and take the water taxi to dinner and won't need a car. The Radisson might even have a shuttle from the airport. If you decide to rent a car, there are loads of rental companies with shuttles from the Airport.

If you like to window shop and just stroll around, stop for a bite to eat and drink, take the water taxi to Las Olas Boulevard. The water taxi doesn't give a guided tour like the Carrie B, but you'll see lots of beautiful homes and sites. The Riverwalk area is also very nice and the water taxi stops there, too.

If I can be of any other assistance, let me know at "[email protected]"