Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Radio City vs Millie - Christmas in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/radio-city-vs-millie-christmas-in-nyc-383192/)

Barb42 Dec 18th, 2003 09:34 AM

Radio City vs Millie - Christmas in NYC

Planning a last minute w/e in NYC 12/27 thru 12/29 with 15 and 8 yr old sons and 12 yr old daughter(first visit for my sons) Budget allows one show- any thoughts on the Radio City Christmas Spectacular vs. a Broadway show such as Thoroughly Modern Millie or 42nd St? I want the kids to remember and enjoy the experience and get the most bang for my buck! I have checked in to it today and can still get tickets for the Monday shows for any of these. Also does anyone know of a good place to park downtown near the Embassy Suites- the $45 per day hotel parking is a killer! I love the Nyc advice in these threads and would welcome any and all advice about Christmas in the city with children... Thanks Fodorites

GoTravel Dec 18th, 2003 09:37 AM

No contest, Radio City Music Hall Extravaganza is the epitome of Christmas. It is a do not miss if you haven't seen it.

HowardR Dec 18th, 2003 09:44 AM

I agree, no contest.....the Christmas show, especially for your children.

almesq Dec 18th, 2003 09:47 AM

The Battery Garage (which is near the entrance to the Battery Tunnel) is pretty close to the Embassy Suites and is probably one of the cheaper ones around, but still not cheap. Don't know what it will cost for each 24 hours. It's a bit cheaper because you park your own car, then pay the attendant when you want to leave.

Barb42 Dec 18th, 2003 09:59 AM

Thanks for the replies... now can I go for 2nd or 3rd mezzanine tickets, or will we be too far away to see anything? Thanks

almesq Dec 18th, 2003 10:10 AM

Radio City is pretty big, so you may be a bit far there. You can check out interactive seating chart at radiocity.com, then go to the seating chart and you can click on a section to see a picture of the view from there.

Patrick Dec 18th, 2003 11:19 AM

The place in enormous. Some enjoy it from way back, but my vision isn't that good. I like being much closer than 2nd or 3rd balcony. As I mentioned before, from back there I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Santa and a Rockette.

almesq Dec 18th, 2003 11:23 AM

You mean there's a difference between Santa and the Rockettes??

vivi Dec 18th, 2003 11:44 AM

Radio City! I saw the Xmas Spectacular plus 4 Broadway shows last week. Radio City was really fabulous and a good bang for the buck.

vivi Dec 18th, 2003 11:59 AM

Barb-

Double check that you can get tickets for Millie or 42nd Street on a Monday- most Broadway theaters are dark on Monday. (This is why I went to Radio City last Monday!)

diann Dec 18th, 2003 01:01 PM

I also saw the show at Radio City and it was totally fantastic. Great show and a good price. I think the kids would really enjoy this show. Especially the beginning with the 3D glasses. As for seating it is so large difficult to say. Just get as close as you can. Have fun.

SusieQQ Dec 18th, 2003 01:36 PM

I would choose just about any Broadway show over Radio City! IMHO The Radio City Christmas Show is "cheesy" and not worth the time spent. Give your sons a Broadway show experience instead.

HowardR Dec 18th, 2003 01:42 PM

Millie does play on Monday nights.
I've heard the Christmas show called many things, but never "cheesy"!

Patrick Dec 18th, 2003 01:50 PM

Cheesy? I agree with Howard. While I love the show, I do understand how some people might not. But to me "cheesy" means "cheap". And there ain't nothing cheap about the show. The costumes, the effects, the scale of the whole thing is anything but "cheap" or "cheesy".

SusieQQ Dec 19th, 2003 02:24 AM

OK, instead of cheesy how about "tacky"! or "tasteless"!

HowardR Dec 19th, 2003 04:22 AM

Sorry, SusieQQ, but "tacky" and "tasteless" don't pass muster either. "Touristy," perhaps....but then, tourists are bulk of those who go anyway, so that's really not a criticism either!

bugswife1 Dec 19th, 2003 05:23 AM

Maybe the way to describe the Radio City show is 'unsophisticated'. No it isn't Chicago or Millie. There is no real 'acting' involved, nor is there a storyline. So, to have to choose between Broadway and The Christmas show is like choosing between apples and oranges. Bang for the buck? Broadway hands town. A fun, traditional holiday experience for your kids in a gorgeous landmark setting--Radio City. Dancing stuffed animals are not for everyone, but the Rockettes are the best. Barb42-perhaps you can squeeze a Broadway show into your budget by using the TKTS booth or considering an off-broadway show as a second activity.

MFNYC Dec 19th, 2003 05:30 AM

Just wondering what the kids think? Have you asked them? Can the 3 of them agree on 1 idea? Maybe take a vote and see what's available. I know that timeframe is going to be difficult for broadway seats, especially discounted ones. I don't know about radio city. I just saw Wonderful Town. It's a lot of fun for both adults and kids.

MFNYC Dec 19th, 2003 05:38 AM

There are several parking garages in the area. One not associated with a hotel may be cheaper.

Keith Dec 19th, 2003 01:31 PM

I think the star of the Christmas Spectacular is Radio City Music Hall. From the two pipe organs, to that wonderful stage where the orchestra moves and buildings rotate. The show was a lot of fun. I think the children will remember that show long after they will have forgotten the details of Millie.

Keith