Quiet resorts on Kauai

Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Quiet resorts on Kauai

I'm trying to plan a last minute trip to Kauai and many of the resorts look like megaresorts! I'm hoping to find something a little less family friendly {I'm a preschool teacher folks please give me that }, more private with a nice beach for snorkeling. I'm kind of wanting someplace to lay on a hammock, read a book, dip my toes in the water, have someone cook for me, and get in some R&R. I really like Kona Village on the BI but I've been to the BI and never to Kauai. I'm hoping for under $500 (or a lot under) per night. Let's just say no more than that! Any ideas?
Aug 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM

I guess the biggest question is when are you going?

If you are not interested in a large hotel (Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton or Marriott) then maybe a condo or cottage would work for you. You'd have a bit more privacy.

There is a new hotel opening in Aug (I think) in Poipu that is more of a boutique hotel. That may work for you if you are going after it opens.

We prefer a condo for the size and options (kitchen, washer/dryer).
Aug 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM

I know a wonderful B and B in the rain forest. You can drive to the beach if you have a car. Why do you want to spend soooo much $$$ on 1 room. You can rent a condo for $500/week on Kauai
Aug 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM

"I'm hoping to find something a little less family friendly {I'm a preschool teacher folks please give me that }, more private with a nice beach for snorkeling. I'm kind of wanting someplace to lay on a hammock, read a book, dip my toes in the water, have someone cook for me, and get in some R&R."

This sounds great, however there isn't really anything that satisfies your requirements on Kauai. What would you be willing to compromise on? There are oceanfront/oceanview condos a plenty, but none really with the services of hotel you are looking for. B and B's are good for some, but it doesn't sound like you are looking for that. If you really want Kauai, then you might need to start thinking about the Hyatt or condos or vacation rentals.

I have stayed at the Hyatt and being a teacher myself, I try to get away from kids too when I vacation, but the grounds are so large and spread out, there is always a place to chill out in quiet. We were there in July and the presence of children weren't as bothersome as their drunk and loud parents. There is an adults only pool as well, which helps.

The hotel that beth mentions looks like it will be a nice property. With rates in $600 and up range, it ought to be.

Have you thought about Mexico? There are lots of smaller, boutique, adult oriented places on the Pacific coast as well as on the Mayan Riviera that might be worth looking into.
Aug 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses! Looks like the trip fell though until December. I think my dream resort is on the BI "Kona Village Resorts." iamq-We did the Mexico pacific coast two years ago and loved it! We stayed at El Tamarindo. I was just hoping for that in Kauai!
Aug 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM

My wife and I really like the Embassy Vacation Resort near PoiPu. It is a condo development and there fore some kids, but we found it very quiet and peaceful.
Aug 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Hi marnie,

I have always dreamed of going to Tamarindo...someday.

You might also look into Hotel Hana Maui on Maui. Very quiet, laid back, gorgeous setting and service with lots of aloha. We went last year and loved it so much we are going back in April. There's no snorkeling there, but the resort's beach is Hamoa Beach which is one the most gorgeous beaches in the islands.

Hope your trip in December works out well.

Search this Thread