Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Quickest Route from I-65 So. to Destin/Ft.Walton

Quickest Route from I-65 So. to Destin/Ft.Walton

Jun 18th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Quickest Route from I-65 So. to Destin/Ft.Walton

I'm looking for the absolute quickest route from Interstate 65 South (I'll be coming from North Alabama) to Ft. Walton Beach. The on-line guys (MapQuest, Expedia, Etc.) all give slightly different directions. They all appear to involve quite a lot of state route and local highway travel. I was hoping someone makes that trip regularly and knows the quickest route.
Jun 18th, 2003, 10:54 AM

This sounds worse than it is - the roads are well marked and there is little to no traffic or towns to slow down for or drive through - Take I-65S to Exit 114. Take 106 East to Rt 55 South to Andalusia Take 29 South to 137 South to 189 South to 90 east to Crestview. Take 85 S to Niceville Take 20 east to the Mid Bay Bridge (Rt 293) Head Souith over the bridge and 5 miles later you are at Rt 98 in Destin . We have gone down this trip many many times and have found this way the quickest - every time we hear of a different route we give it a try but always wind up using this one.
Jun 18th, 2003, 10:55 AM
X

Some demented souls will tell you to take 65 to I-10 and go in through Pensacola....that is insane and a sign that people have gotten addicted to the homogeneous sludge that is the American Interstate System.

Go dead south. Get off I65 just south of Mongomery on Exit 168. That's US80. In a couple of miles, turn right on US 331. You'll stay on 331 the whole way until you hit US98 just east of Destin.

When you look on a map, just head toward Florala whichj is a town that straddles Florida and Alabama
Jun 18th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Agree with X.
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replys. Taking off in the morning!

Search this Thread