Quick Trip Report - Hyatt Tamaya Resort New Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from 4 day stay with DW at the Hyatt Tamaya Resort and Spa about 40 minutes south of Santa Fe on the Santa Ana Pueblo. Flew into Albuquerque, rented car from Hertz and drove to resort (30 minutes). This is very nice resort, two golf courses looked nice, but we are not golfers so can not say much more. The rooms are very large, well appointed, and extremely well kept. Resort has three pools, two that were open and heated to 82 degrees. We ate only once at the resort at the Santa Ana cafe and it was good. All other meals were taken in the town of Bernallio, just outside main gate. Ate at La Casita, excellent New Mexican food, Abuelita's also excellent New Mexian food, and at The Range, both "standard American food" and excellent New Mexican. We drove the Jemez Trail, which is very senic and ate at the famous Los Ojos Bar in the town of Jemez Springs - very rustic and very good food. The trail leads to the Bandelier National Park, with ruins of cliff dwellings and this is a must do. The next day we drove to Santa Fe and spent most of the day sight seeing, shopping, and gallery browsing. Lunch in Santa Fe was at the Shed, another hightly recommended spot. It was very good as well, and once again New Mexican food (we could not get enough of the great New Mexican cuisine).

On our last day we stopped at Old Town in Albuquerque. While there we had lunch at Little Anita's, also New Mexican food and it was very good. However, we were both underwhelmed with Old Town and agreed that we could have found a better way to spend out last afternoon. Just not much there and pretty lame over all.

It was a great trip, the hotel was excellent, and we really enjoyed our time in New Mexico. We had not been in that part of the country for over 20 years so it was nice to get back.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM

You did good! Sounds like a great time. Hope the smoke from the forest fire didn't bother you too much.

You made good choices; I couldn't have done better except I would have found you a better NM restauranat in ABQ and told you to pass on Old Town in favor of the zoo.

Deb
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM

What Deb said. I'm glad you all enjoyed your time here!

Lee Ann
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Actually the smoke was not a factor at all. Little Anita's was suggested to us and since it was right by Old Town we just did it. But next time Old Town will not see us. My wife and I agreed that our favorite eating joint was La Casita followed by The Range. Of course since we sat at the bar, had a few drinks, met some really nice local folks, The Range has to be high on our list (the shrimp quesadillas are superb).
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the trip report. We're considering a stay there in October.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
J62

Nice report. I've booked the same place for a few nights in June.

A couple of q.

Did you hike on any of the trails near the hotel?

How spacious were the rooms? I've found other Hyatt resorts to be a bit tight for 2 adults/2 teens, so I may get 2 adjoining rooms.

Will be looking for additional dinner recs in Santa Fe, Taos, ABQ but will post my own thread as trip approaches.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM

J62, be sure to look at the New Mexico folder, which has several restaurant threads.

Lee Ann