Notices

Quick NYC Subway / Bus question

Mar 26th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Quick NYC Subway / Bus question

I just want to make sure I am correct on this. Heading to NYC for the day. I should just buy a MetroCard and load it with some $. Its $2.75 per ride (regardless of length). Does this hold true for all buses / subways? I know the DC Metro system completely but not sure on NYC (sad since I live so close).

We are not sure what we are doing yet but there will be subways / buses involved as 1 of our destinations is the USS Intrepid.
Mar 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Here is the applicable information from the MTA website:

Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard

Buy as many rides as you want:

At a station booth: from $5 to $80*
At a MetroCard Vending Machine: from $5 to $100*

Put $5 or more on your card and receive a 5 percent bonus. For example, a $20 purchase gives you $21 on your card. Refill your card to use the balance.

You get an automatic free transfer between subway and bus, or between buses.

Your MetroCard can hold any combination of unlimited rides and dollar value!

• Using a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard? Now you can add Unlimited Rides to it.

• Using an Unlimited Ride MetroCard? Now you can also add a dollar value to it.

• Just bought an Unlimited Ride MetroCard and want to add more time to it? Just make sure you activate your Unlimited Ride MetroCard by using it at least once; then you can refill it.

• Whether you choose to add time or value, just bring your MetroCard to any MetroCard Vending Machine or station booth to make your transaction.

• The MTA will begin charging a $1.00 “new card fee” for the purchase of a new MetroCard on March 3, 2013. By refilling and reusing your current MetroCard, you will avoid this additional fee.

* The cost of a SingleRide ticket is $2.75. Sold at vending machines only.
Mar 26th, 2013, 10:29 AM

PS, if you are more than one traveling together in NYC you can share one metrocard if using the pay per ride version. Just have one go through and pass it back to the next. I am not sure the total number of people who can use it together - maybe 6 - but at least 2.) If the original card costs $1.00 you save at least that.
Mar 26th, 2013, 10:36 AM

You should buy a Metrocard that will allow for as many rides as you are likely to take ... at $2.50 per ride. I'd say a minimum of $5, which will give you two rides. Add as much more value as you think you'll need at $2.50 a shot, and you can always add more if you decide to take one more ride (though you will have to do so at a subway station). You'll get a small bonus of 5%, so once you buy the initial Metrocard, do consider that extra bonus as you add additional value.

FInally, you must also pay $1 for the Metrocard itself; if you are a couple, it's cheaper in this case to share one card so you don't have to pay that $1 twice.

Search this Thread