Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Quick Los Angeles Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/quick-los-angeles-questions-631709/)

QC Jul 17th, 2006 05:38 PM

Quick Los Angeles Questions

I'll be in L.A. for only one day next week, so I have a few practical questions.

<b>1) Where can I see the Hollywood sign?</b>

I don't need to get up close and personal. I know I can go to Griffith Park to see, but where on the street grid will I get the 'down the block' view? I am assuming I will be on the Westside, in Beverly Hills, and in central Hollywood (assume Hollywood/Highland) during my day.

<b>2) Where can I park easily for Santa Monica (Pier/Promenade/Beaches)?</b>

Any suggested street parking? I don't mind a walk- can I park on like 10th Street and hoof it to 3rd Street? Any garages or public parking nearby? How much should I expect to pay? I plan to drop the car off and walk around the shorefront area and perhaps eat dinner.

<b>3) I'm leaving town the next day to head up the coast. Should I expect a hassle on the 101 going <i>towards the Valley</i> mornings on a weekday around 10-11AM?</b>

<b>4) Pure opinion - what is the nicest movie theater in L.A.? Graumans, Cinerama, the Bruin? Where has the biggest screen and best sound?</b>

Thanks.

happytrailstoyou Jul 17th, 2006 05:58 PM

I don't know about the &quot;down the block&quot; view: however, when you go to the mall where the Disney Theater is located (next to the Grumman's Chinese Theater) you can get a view of the Hollywood sign.

In Santa Monica there is a shopping mall not far from the pier where you can park for free.

happytrailstoyou Jul 17th, 2006 06:30 PM

I forgot to mention that your post has an elegance of format that I hope others will note and emulate.

BayouGal Jul 17th, 2006 07:20 PM

Well said, htty, and I concur! :)

AuntAnnie Jul 17th, 2006 08:23 PM

I paid $7-$10 (can't remember what I paid where...) to park right at the pier in Santa Monica.

mlgb Jul 17th, 2006 08:56 PM

Good view of Hollywood sign from the rooftop of parking for the Grove/Farmer's Market.

Santa Monica has tons of public parking structures, some are free for a few hours

http://parking.santa-monica.org/overview.html

Alisa Jul 17th, 2006 09:17 PM

1) If you are in Hollywood you can go down Hollywood or Sunset Blvds. to Vine St. You will be able to see the sign as you past Vine and go South.

2)For the Promenade drive down Wilshire Blvd towards the beach and take a left on 4th Street. There are public garages all along 4th, parraleling the Promenade. You can walk to the Pier from there.

3)Maybe :-)!

4) ArcLight Theaters in Hollywood--you can reserve your seat in advance. Although I love the Bruin--it has character and Stan's Donuts is right across the street. Get a blueberry cake or a peanut butter, banana and chocolate filled! OMG!

gigib Jul 18th, 2006 11:58 AM

Answer to 3):
You should be OK, it will be thick, but the worst will be over. If you are leaving L.A. via northbound on the 405 to northbound on the 101, be VERY careful as you approach the Nbound 101 interchange. The freeway goes steeply down a hill, and you need to be sure to get in the correct lane. Traffic in front of you can come to a screeching halt on the downhill side - be alert!

If you are leaving Hollywood and getting right on the Nbound 101, keep your eyes peeled (but still on the road) at about Cahuenga Blvd. or Gower, you will see the Hollywood sign on the right and the Capitol Records building on the left.

Surfergirl Jul 18th, 2006 12:18 PM

1. If you are in your car heading north on Highland, you will see the Hollywood sign. For that matter, if you go up in any tall building on the westside and have access to an easterly facing window, you will see the sign.

2. The pier is not terribly expensive to park on, as another poster suggested. There are also public parking (2 hours free) on 2nd street, just north of Santa Monica Blvd.; and on 4th Street, just north of Santa Monica Blvd. You can park on 10th and walk to 3rd street, yes.

3. Between 10 and 11 a.m. northbound, not too much of a hassle, but keep in mind that there is a lot of construction going on (HOV lanes, ramp widening, etc.) as well as substantial construction at the 405/101 interchange. The 405 to the 101 would be the route you would use if leaving town from the Westside. Once you are on the 101, you ARE in the Valley.

4. I haven't been inside Graumann's or the Cinerama Dome in years, but I never thought the Dome was all that. Graumann's was gorgeous inside as was the Egyptian. But being a Westside girl most of my life, I am partial to the Westwood Village theatre and the Crest Theatre (on Westwood Blvd., just south of Wilshire). They re-did the Crest I'm guessing about 10 to 15 years ago, and it is quite the theatre on the inside (the pretty neon lights that were restored on the outside aren't bad either). The Village Theatre is a cultural and historical landmark and has been there since the 30's. It's beautiful inside and out. Also, the Wiltern, at Wilshire &amp; Western, but they stopped showing first run movies years ago, and now it is one of the top small music venues, beautifully restored. In fact, I was there Sunday night to see Ray Davies (Kinks fame)(great concert!).

QC Jul 18th, 2006 12:36 PM

OK, I think I am clear on all this.

So, it looks like if I take Cahuenga northbound from central Hollywood, I should be able to see the Hollywood sign (assuming I miss it on Highland), skip a little congestion, and pick up the 101 right there (on my map it looks like a direct feed) to head out of town. Is this right?

I will likely make Hollywood my final destination before hopping on the 101, especially if the 405/101 interchange is troublesome, which it sounds like it is.

Many thanks also for the link to the Santa Monica parking page, that had exactly the answers I needed.

tracys2cents Jul 18th, 2006 02:17 PM

Maybe you can get a ticket to the Hollywood Bowl that night? You'll see the Hollywood sign right from your seat. Not a MOVIE theatre, but a theatre that you should experience if at all possible.