Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Quick help for Priceline bid-is "Seaport" the same as the World Trade Center in Boston?

Quick help for Priceline bid-is "Seaport" the same as the World Trade Center in Boston?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:29 AM
boston visiter

Trying to rebid on Priceline and need to know ASAP if the Seaport area is the same as World Trade Center area? Are there hotels there and what are they like? Is it close to the T line to go into Boston proper and would it be a safe area to stay? Thanks!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
boston visitor

PLEASE help me !!What is the SEAPORT AREA? Thank you.....................

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Paul

I've never heard a section of Boston called the Seaport area, but I'm guessing that it is indeed the World Trade area, or perhaps a hotel like the Bostonian which is near the Aquarium?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Wendy

There should be a link just next to the choice where you can see the area they are calling Seaport.

Also check out www.biddingfortravel.com I didn't see the seaport area listed there but there may be some mention of it in the posts.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:15 AM
boston person

Thanks Paul! Is the World Trade Center near(walking distance to a T stop) and is it a good area? Sorry for the urgency but we leave tomorrow and I have never used Priceline before. Everyone told me that I would probably have my offer accepted so I am trying everything not that they didn't!(Why won't this take my email address now?)

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:18 AM
boston visitor

Another person on this board suggested using SEAPORT if my airport hotel bid was not accepted but on Priceline there is no SEAPORT. I was thinking that perhaps the World Trade Center on the waterfront was the same? Any suggestions? I do not think that it is South Boston area or the main downtown.Anyone from Boston that could clarify for me-thank you very very much! I knew that I should have not waited till the last minute on this?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:31 AM
bennie

My check on Priceline shows the World Trade Center area. There is only one hotel in that location - the Seaport Hotel (may not be exact name). It is a very nice hotel, across the street from the World Trade Center. Near the entrance to Ted Williams tunnel, very convenient to airport. It is walking distance during the day to the waterfront and the financial district. At night I would stick to cabs. Closest subway stop is the South Station Redline. Not the most convenient location for a tourist but at the right price it definately could be worth it depending on your needs. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Boss Tonn

In a word, YES.

Yes, the Seaport Hotel is a relatively new hotel directly across the street from the World Trade Center.

Yes, the "Seaport Area" is generally the area near the WTC area. The locals may not always call it that, but Boston's seaport district is adjacent to the WTC and runs down to Black Falcon Pier (where the large cruise ships depart from). It's not too close to a T station, although a free shuttle runs to South Station (on weekdays at least).

This is area is in South Boston, but not the residential side of southie, it's the area of Southie closer to downtown.

You can also walk to South Sta., Aquarium and the Financial District area.

Finally, the MBTA (transit authority) runs a water shuttle that for a buck or two takes you from the WTC to Lovejoy Wharf (near the Fleet Center/North End area)...although this may only run weekdays...

MBTA's website is www.mbta.com

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Paul

What happened? What is the hotel?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:21 PM
boston visitor

I have gone up to $100 bid on airport and WTC(both 2 and 1/2 and 3 star hotels) and none of my bids have been accepted for this weekend. Yes, I have been on biddingfortravel to check and I cannot figure out what is going on as many people have gotten rooms in the last day or so for about $45-60 there. Any suggestions gang? Thanks!Should I try Hotwire-anyone had a good experience?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Jen

Why are you interestedin staying ih the Seaport area in the first place? It's really not near anything tourists would want to do, other than events at the WTC, and it'snot handy to the T. Most tourists would be happier (and more successful on Priceline) staying in the Back Bay /Copley area.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:12 AM
gail

If you are the same visitor looking to visit BU and Aquarium, WTC/Seaport it not the best choice. I would follow other advice you have been given rather than stay in this location - not horrible, but not among top choices.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:24 AM
NYGUY

I got a hotel in the Back bay last weekend through priceline and could not get anything for less then $100 - hotels in Boston are expensive and you might just be bidding too low. That said..i a fantastic city.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Cathy

We stayed at the Seaport, which is across the street from the WTC a few years ago. Very nice hotel. Yes it wasn't right in the main tourist section but not really that far. The service at this hotel is excellent. When we were there they had a no tipping policy and the hotel was totally non-smoking.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 12:13 PM
HobbyWizard

Just to tack on an addendum about the Seaport Hotel and that part of the city. The Seaport is just down the street from the Fleet Pavillion, which is why I stayed there once this year. It's a pretty nice hotel, better than I usually get. I couldn't score any particular deal on it and booked through Orbitz for about $155 for a Friday night, plus $20 for parking.

My major complaint about staying there was the getting there: If you aren't familiar with Boston, it is absolute hell to navigate one's way to that part of town...at least until the Big Dig is dug. I would be hard pressed to ever drive in to that part of Boston again.

Instead, I've found serenity by figuring out the commuter rail and staying outside of Boston. I use hotels in Woburn and take the Lowell Line in. Woburn is the "Anderson" stop.

Whereas I'd pay $150 plus $20 parking *in* Boston, I can easily pay only $50-80 for a similar hotel room in Woburn, with free parking; the roundtrip train ticket costs me $5.50 and parking at the train station is a dollah!

Boston isn't gonna pick my pocket