Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Quick Day Trip to Portland (and eventually Boston) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/quick-day-trip-to-portland-and-eventually-boston-1462131/)

tchoiniere Aug 2nd, 2017 02:45 AM

Quick Day Trip to Portland (and eventually Boston)

Yesterday was a friend of mine’s 40th birthday (Jon). Him and his wife had taken the day off. She called me Monday night to see if I had the day off (I have a 4 day work week where I can change the day off as needed). I opted to take it off. She said that they would pick me up at my apartment around 6 yesterday morning, but wouldn’t tell me her plans for the day either…

Leaving New London, we got on 395 North and I quickly guessed where we were going…Maine (straight shot up 395 to 290 to 495 to 95 from here). I didn’t say anything but then Jon started laughing and immediately guessed Maine. Easy drive up and we were in Ogunquit by 9am. Walked part of the Marginal Way while drinking a coffee. Really enjoyed this walk and perfect weather.

We got back into the car and up to Portland Head Light where we each grabbed a lobster roll from Bite of Maine Food Truck. We sat near the water eating them and just hanging out for a while, enjoying the weather. We went up to Allagash to sample their beer (cannot come up here without some breweries though Tuesday is less than optimal due to many being closed for the day). Enjoyed the samples and then bought a few bottles. We then went down to Old Port and walked around for a while. Around this time, I got a text from another friend of ours whom lives in Boston to see if I wanted to go to the Red Sox game as he had some extra tickets (the 3 of us went to college together so it would work out well)…

We agreed to go to the game so left Portland around 3 and drove to Fenway, knowing the pitching matchup was a good one. Got into Boston at 5 and met Chris at Boston Beer Works for a couple of beers. Into the game and they were really good seats behind the Sox dugout maybe 12 rows back. Enjoyed the wild game that ensued - Sox winning 12-10 on a walkoff home run. Had a sausage from one of the outside vendors before the game and a couple of beers.

After the game, we got to our car relatively quick and got out of Boston in record time for us. Easy drive back to New London and I was in bed by 12:30 – thankfully as I had to be at work today for 5:30. Am on my 4th cup of coffee…

Very fun day but very fast paced. The 3 of us (then 4 at the game) just enjoyed hanging out together.

Inakauaidavidababy Aug 2nd, 2017 04:41 AM

What a sweet day!

NewbE Aug 2nd, 2017 06:14 AM

Sounds great! I love Portland. One of our favorite beer bars in the world is there, Novare Res--stop by next time :-)

emalloy Aug 2nd, 2017 06:23 AM

That's the good life!! Now try to do your work.

tchoiniere Aug 2nd, 2017 06:27 AM

NewbE, That's one of our favorite spots. We would have needed a hotel if we went there though!

dfrostnh Aug 2nd, 2017 06:55 AM

What a fun filled day! We loved Fort Williams Park and Bite Into ME food truck but this year discovered the Eastern Promenade for a different view of Casco Bay (but no lobster roll). Couldn't imagine paddle boards among all those boats.

tchoiniere Aug 2nd, 2017 09:15 AM

Eastern Promenade is a great spot too! That's why I love Portland so much and am thankful it is so close (4 hour drive)