Search

Questions re: overnight to NYC/Times Square w/13 YO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions re: overnight to NYC/Times Square w/13 YO

Hello,
Please forgive my dumb questions but I've had a hard time finding information.

I'm taking a bus tour to NYC with my 13 yo daughter in the morning. The only thing scheduled is the show at Radio City on Sunday afternoon...the bus drops us off and brings us back to the hotel but other than that, we're on our own.

Approximately how far (walking) is it from the Times Square stores (Toys R'Us, American Girl, etc.) to the 'Top of the Rock'? I've read a lot about 'TOTR' and how the lines aren't as bad as for the ESB...is that still the case at this time of year? I'd ideally like to go up around 4:00pm or so.

Are there still lots of street vendors? I love cheesy t-shirts and I'm sure my daughter would love to stretch her $10 (lol). How about a 'real' bagel and pizza place? Any ideas for that in the area?

Thanks so much for any help and/or advice!

~Michelle

Does anyone know how much it costs to go on the ferris wheel in the Toys R'Us store?
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about that last sentence...it was supposed to go in the body of the post. Can one edit posts?
I forgot to ask about 'Ground Zero'...how far is that from the area?
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM

From Times Sq. (Toys r Us area) to Rock Center is about 15 minute walk.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM

I went to the Top of the Rock yesterday morning and rode the elevator up and back down by myself! I was the only person there for about a half hour!

I also went up Monday night, there were only about 30 people there. It is absolutely magical at night, I highly recommend it night over day.

We went to the top of the ESB a few years ago and the whole standing-in-line thing was so tortuous, ditto the crowd on the deck. TOTR is SO much better and as an added bonus you get a great view of the ESB.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:44 PM

I just heard on TV (Regis & Kelly) how much it costs to go on the ferris wheel in Toys R Us. I think it was $4 or $5 and they said the money goes to charity.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Also...dont worry about the cheesy Tshirts and vendors....there will be plenty.
PSssssssst....Gucci,Prada??Come take a look!
Have fun!!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM

American Girl is directly across from Rockefeller Center (where TOTR is and the ice rink) and right next to Saks Fifth Ave. There's a wonderful light show at Saks but it doesn't start til about 4:30 pm. But if you go up to TOTR at 4, you'll be able to see the show when you get down. I think it goes every 15 mins.

For pizza, John's pizzeria in Times Square is very good but is also very well known and will be mobbed. The less known Angelo's in the Ed Sullivan theater (Broadway & 53-54 st) is also very good. In the food court underneath Rock. Ctr. is a Two Boots pizza, not classic but good.

Bagelfeller b/w Rock Ctr. and TS is supposed to be good. I haven't had their bagels.
http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=9&cuisineid=8