Search

Seattle to San

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle to San

Planing a trip from Seattle to San Fran. Some time in Seattle then maybe AmTrac to San Fran. Any ideas would be appreciated. Trips from San Fran by car etc.
Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 05:19 AM

What time of year, how long do you have for entire trip, how much time in Seattle, how much time in S.F., who's in your group, ages, what are your interests, what do you like to do, what's your budget?????

Are you looking for quickest way? Do you want to stop and see things on route???

We need more info from you to be of any help.

Simple google searches like "Things to do in San Francisco (or Seattle)" and "day trips from San Francisco (or Seattle)" will bring up loads of info.

You need to do some basic research.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

O.K. Begining of September. Two weeks in all,2/3 days Seattle. Thought AmTrac to San Fran may be good then few days in San Fran, possible car trip from there returnig to fly out of San Fran.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM

Yes, we need more details about your travel plans.

You could dive to San Francisco via the the Oregon Coast and Redwoods and return to Seattle visiting Crater Lake and the Columbia River Gorge.

I don't enjoy the 800 mile drive on I-5. When I don't want to drive between San Francisco and Seattle, I fly. I like European trains but not Amtrak.

HTTY
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I see I need to do some research so will get back to you. Any one got opinions on Amtrak?
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Amtrak frequently runs late on the west coast- really late. Last time I took it from Sacramento to Eugene Or it was 5 hours late getting into Eugene. A father son and had taken the train from LA to Seattle and by the time they got to Eugene, the dad was on the phone booking a rental car and was going to drive the rest of the way to Seattle- that was a couple of years and I understand they have improved recently so I would check into their "on time record" before booking. Or if time arrivals and departures are not a concern- it may work for you

I usually fly
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 04:11 PM

My only fairly recent on board Amtrak experience was between Seattle and Chicago. It was expensive, and it wasn't fun.

When family or friends come to Seattle on Amtrak from California we never know when they're going to show up and if by train or bus. Ditto the "train" between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

We drive or fly Alaska Airlines.

HTTY
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM

I have taken the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Oakland a couple of times. It was enjoyable and on time both times. The return, however, was not good; the train was running so late that I gave up and flew home.

So my experience is that it works fine southbound but not northbound.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The southbound Coast Starlight is much more likely to be on time and sometimes early into Sacramento. Scheduled time into Sacramento is 6:15AM.
Consider the train to Sacramento having breakfast and then renting a car for your trip into San Francisco.
Old town Sacramento is within walking distance of the Amtrak station. The California Railroad Museum is worth a visit.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As tomfuller clarified, it's the NORTHbound Coast Starlight that is notoriously late because it's coming all the way up from LA (and Amtrak does not own the tracks). Departing Seattle heading SOUTH is usually on or at least close to schedule.

Sure I guess there's nothing wrong with taking Amtrak to San Francisco. I've taken it from Seattle just down to Portland on occasion was fun. honestly I live in Seattle and when I want to visit San Francisco, I fly.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, food for thought!
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 01:41 PM

You can see detailed on time performance of train 11 (southbound) and train 14 (northbound) here:

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amt...ightStatus.htm

And monthly and yearly overall performance here:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241245648567
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Being on time is only one problem.

Another big problem is whether you enjoy the environment Amtrak provides. Some do. Others don't. I don't.

Also, on my two recent Amtrak trips we went through most scenic stretches at night and when we went through Glacier NP, we didn't go through the most scenic part.

HTTY
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, good info.