Questions about Oahu...

Apr 10th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Anthony

Questions about Oahu...

Going to Oahu for the first time this May, and have a few questions. 1.) Which luau, if any, seems to be worth the cost; 2.) How difficult is the driving on Oahu(parking,traffic,etc..); 3.) Is it easy to book activities and such once we arrive, or should we book on the mainland? Thanks for any feedback or opinions you might have!

Apr 10th, 2000, 12:13 PM
alan

I've never been to a commercial luau so I can't recommend any particular one. But if you don't mind missing the entertainment and surroundings, and just want to sample good Hawaiian food, go to Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu Avenue, about 5 min. from Waikiki. Its a hole in the wall with no reservations, just line up at the door. It serves pretty authentic food favored by residents.

The road past Waimea Bay is closed due to major repairs and the temporary road sometimes washes out due to heavy rain and surf, so you will need to check on conditions if you are planning an around the island drive. Anticipate rush hour traffic in the morning and late afternoons, so plan your schedule accordingly.

Its easy to book activities once you arrive unless you are on a tight schedule and have some must see activities, then you may want to book the major ones ahead of time.

Apr 13th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Cheryl Z.

Anthony - l. I'd say skip a luau unless you really want to go. 2. Driving/parking not difficult at all, we always rent a car and drive around the island to the other side. Waikiki can be crowded with traffic (but no big deal) and free/street parking virtually not available. We pay to park at our hotel. 3. Easy to book or schedule anything once you get there. Don't bother from home. Have a great time.

Apr 14th, 2000, 09:36 AM
JIll

A very good luau with a great show is at the Hale Koa - the military hotel next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I'm not sure if you have to be military or retired military to go. Last month some friends of mine who were staying at the Hilton went to the Hale Koa luau. Although he's not military, he was there on business for the Defense Dept. When I was last there (2 years ago) the luau was only one or two nights a week.

Search this Thread