Questions about NYC Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be Manhattan in the middle of September on a 5 day trip to celebrate our anniversary. I've done some research on the things we want to accomplish when we get there. We don't want to be pressed for time, and want to allow for exploring different things. As for meals not mentioned, we'll figure it out as we go - we don't want to spend too much time trying to find the 'it' place to eat. I have put comments/questions in the itinerary - any advice would be welcomed!

Day 1
- Arrive at JFK @ 5pm - *should be take a taxi or use a car service? It seems that car services may be less expensive, but unreliable.
- Check in at Hotel (in Murray Hill)
- Dinner at Giorgio's of Gramercy - *good reviews and in our budget
- Times Square
- Empire State Building

Day 2
- Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise (2 hour @ 11am) - *what can we see or do before the cruise?
- New York Public Library
- Grand Central Terminal
- Rockerfeller Center (Top of the Rock)
- St. Patrick's Cathedral
- Shopping on Fifth Ave
- Neighborhood Bars - *we're not into the scene. I've read about Speakeasys and have a couple that we want to check out (Please Don't Tell, Little Branch, The Other Room). Pubs, neighborhood bar and low key lounge suggestions in West & East Village would be great!

Day 3
- Wall Street - *how early do we need to start to get through everything on this day?
- Ground Zero, Firehouse & St. Paul's Chapel
- Subway to Brooklyn for Grimaldi's Pizza and walk back on Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan
- Monument Park & Yankee Game - *yes, we have box tickets! Realizing that the lines to Monument Park will be long, is this a must? I am a baseball fan (hubby not so much). We would have to be in line by 4pm. Do we have time do do all we want to do before hand, without being rushed?

Day 4
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Central Park - *since we're running out of time, I thought a carriage ride through the park would be nice. I do realize it's expensive, but it's also romantic
- Meet friends for dinner & drinks at 230 Fifth and other rooftop bars

Day 5
- Chinatown for Dim Sum
- Depart JFK @ 6pm - *what time do we need to leave the Murray Hill area for the airport?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Day 1:
I'd think it would be the other way around: a car service would be more expensive and more reliable! Have a car service reservation made. You'll have to phone them when you get to JFK. You can then check the taxi line and see if there are cabs available. Or you can use the airtrain into the city. (Check MTA's website: www.mta.info). If you have lots of luggage, don't bother with the train.

Buy your Empire State Building tickets online. This may save you some time waiting in line. I've never been up the ESB at night (silly me) so I don't know how long the lines are.

Day 2:
Looks good. Before the cruise you'll be able to fill in. Maybe go the Library and GCT before hand?

Day 3:
Looks good. Not much to see around Wall Street so don't expect to spend a lot of time there.

Days 4 and 5 look good. Don't be afraid to improvise when you're here!

Have a great time.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Taxis to and from JFK and Manhattan are a set fare of $45 plus tolls plus tip. Car service fares will be about the same, maybe even a couple dollars more during busy times. I find the companies that you call to be reliable. DO not go with a someone who is at the airport and offers to drive you--that's illegal and they could rip you off.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:36 AM

We've used Carmel Car Service several times when flying into NYC, so you should have no problem. You can call them at (212) 666 - 6666.

I think your itinerary sounds very good - Grimaldi's is awesome, and as a Yankee fan, you'll love seeing a game. We're Indians fans, but we've seen several games in NYC - Yankees fans are very unique.

I second the previous suggestion to get your Empire State Building tickets online. Also, these lines are EXTREMElY long. Expect to wait about 2 hours. There are annoying picture opps while you're in line, and they try to get you to buy photos. Although each time I go to NYC with a newbie, they insist on going to the top of ESB, I really think it's overrated. Try Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center instead - Supposedly, it has better views. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM

I forgot to address the carriage ride - many on here will try to discourage you, but I have been to NYC many times and just rode on on the carriage ride in May - we loved it! It's a great break from walking, and it could definitely be romantic - enjoy!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear the itinerary is workable. I've spent the good part of my waking hours the last 3 weeks or so researching and tweaking it to something that is realistic.

But of course, I still have questions and comments! Please bear with me

1. I do realize that ESB is very touristy and probably overrated, but our hotel is 3 blocks from it and I figure we can do it late night and see the skyline lit up. I've heard some fantastic reviews about views on the observation deck at Top of the Rock so we want to check out the view during day.
2. Any suggestions for pubs, neighborhood bars or low key lounges in the Village or Tribeca? Not into any trendy places.
3. Monument Park - is this a must? I've always been a baseball fan (ironically, a huge Angels fan). On Day 3, can we get everything done and be in line at the stadium by 4pm?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM

If you are a baseball fan, definitely go through Monument Park. Its definitely worth it.

Enjoy your trip but hopefully the Angels and Yankees just batter each other, being a Red Sox fan...
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM

We use the taxis from JFK. Flat $45 plus tolls, if any. Ususally $4.19 extra.

An average ride to Midtown from JFK is about 30 - 40 minutes. At 5+ PM it might be closer to one hour. What time is your reservation the first nite? I've never gone to the ESB at night but if it's as popular as the daytime, there could be an at least an hour wait. I was there about a week ago at 10 AM and it was a breeze. I think it's all doable, but just so you know there may be lines. If you do get tickets ahead of time, I suggest asking the staff there where you go - you do NOT wait in the same line as others.

Day 2 in the AM, you can find a place to have breakfast outside on a sidewalk, take your time over coffee, etc. People watch! Don't plan the whole trip.

I would leave Murray Hill area by 4PM. I'm one of those who would worry about traffic problems...Plus there always seems to be a line or two at JFK - to check bags and then to clear security. We arrived at 11:20 for a 1PM flight last week (Left Chelsea at 10:30) and thought we had gotten there too early. Nope. By the time we checked bags and went thru security, got food for the flight, it was 12:30.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

This is definitely just a skeleton of an itinerary. The people watching and exploring is why we don't want to be pressed for time.

Thank you for the suggestion for buying tickets ahead of time. I do plan on doing that just before we leave for our trip!

And yes, I mapped out what we could possibly do before our sightseeing cruise, and there just isn't enough time since we have to be there by 10:15 anyway (suggested on the website).

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that worries about traffic. Even if we left at 3pm, that still gives us enough time do possibly do some shopping on Canal St.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Frankly I don't get the carriage ride being romantic - esp during the day. The poor horses don;t smell very good, the ride is short and limited to the one carrige road (you don;t get to drive around inside areas of the park - those paths are for pedestrians only) - so what you see is limited.

Fine if you want - but not romantic.

Also - you need to keep an eye on the weather since it can still be very hot in mid September and if the temps go too high the horses have to return to their stables.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM

Please Don't Tell - even though it is a bar, you need a reservation.

Better choices in Murray Hill then Georgio's, IMO. Bistango on 29th & 3rd or Cosette on 33rd between 3rd and Lex. Both menus are on menupages.com.

For brunch in the neighborhood, go to the shabby chic Phoebe's on 30th & Lex.

There are also 2 pretty good Thai restaurants in that area on 3rd Ave.

I also think that just strolling through the park (and not on the one main road that the horses are on)is much more romantic than a buggy ride. You will see more on foot then you will on the horse. If you REALLY want romantic, rent a rowboat at the boat house.