Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Questions about Maui Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/questions-about-maui-restaurants-414226/)

MattyA Mar 22nd, 2004 08:14 PM

Questions about Maui Restaurants

Hi all,

I'll be in Hawaii on my honeymoon in a little less than three weeks!! I would like your opinion on my Maui restaurant itinerary -- we are in Maui for the last 5 nights of our trip (Kauai is the first 5 nights). Basically, I think we want great dinners 4 of the nights and one night casual. I have already made reservations for Spago (1st night because we are staying at 4S), 2nd night is Mama's Fish House (why wait). Now I'm debating between Sarento's and Nick's Fish Market - both are very similar (same owners). Which would you recommend? I'm leaning towards Sarento's for the sunset, but I would also love the fresh seafood/lobster at Nicks. Any comments...

As for the other two nights...i was thinking about the restaurant in the Grand Wailea Humummumumakaa...and then a casual night at Hula Grill or something along those lines. Anyone have a great restaurant idea for something casual and fun after a full day doing the Hana Rd (our 3rd day). I'm not sure what would be the best after a full day of driving. Preferably something back in Wailea.

How bout dinner on the last night? Would Sarento's be the perfect way to end the honeymoon?

What did I miss???

All suggestions welcome. Tell me where I MUST go that I have not mentioned. Thanks for your help!

Matty A.

crazy4Hawaii Mar 23rd, 2004 05:24 AM

I would give up either Humu's or Spago and do both Nick's and Sarento's. Based on excellent reviews from multiple sources they are both on my list for next trip to Maui. Humu's has a great setting but very spotty reviews. (JohnD had a great experience there, however). This is VERY casual, but I hear good things about Alexander's in the Wailea area...

travelisfun Mar 23rd, 2004 05:52 AM

I would recommend David Paul's in Lahaina...while it isn't on the beach and doesn't have great views, the food there is WONDERFUL and the service and atmosphere are great, too. If you like shrimp..you have to get the "firecracker shrimp" if they are still on the menu! I dream about that dish sometimes--it is SO good!

1MegMeg Mar 23rd, 2004 07:38 AM

Matty,

Sorry I don't have any recommendations (yet), but when you get back from your honeymoon I would greatly appreciate it if you can post a trip review. :-) We are going to Maui for our honeymoon in June and will also be staying at the 4S. Thank you!

Meg

Nancy03 Mar 24th, 2004 03:05 AM

ttt

kindra178 Mar 24th, 2004 08:03 AM

Do not miss Sarento's. The view and the service are outstanding.

Gale Mar 25th, 2004 07:09 AM

Halimaile General Store is a great restaurant in Halimaile.

EmilySD Mar 25th, 2004 08:57 AM

We really enjoyed Leilani's in Kaanapali, more so than Hula Grill. They are right next to each other, so you can look at their menus before you decide. Both offer a great view of the sunset, and can get crowded. There was already an hour wait at 5:30 at Hula Grill.

Congratulations & have a wonderful Honeymoon!

hmmm Mar 25th, 2004 10:22 AM

Leilanis and Hula Grill share more than a common location. tsrestaurants.com. Hula Grill's chef, Peter Merriman, is well regarded.

shabbychic Mar 25th, 2004 11:37 AM

Congratulations on your wedding! I also spent part of my honeymoon at 4S & returned last month for my 2nd anniversary. You will love it! Spago is very good as well as Pacific Grill at 4S.

Some other suggestions:
Nicks- Great food with over-the-top service. Quick walk from 4S.

Roys- In Kihei. Get the chocolate souffle for dessert- yummy.

Sansei- In Kihei. Excellent sushi.

Pacifico's- In Lahaina. It is really nice to get a table at sunset- outside on a deck overlooking the beach. Food is as good as the setting.

Enjoy!

cbredrock Mar 25th, 2004 05:02 PM

Kimos-affordable nice, good food-good drinks

Troop Mar 25th, 2004 05:17 PM

I agree with the first reply. We stayed at the 4S in October for our honeymoon. Spago was not as memorable food/atmosphere wise as one would think. Nick's was great as was Sarento's.

pilot67 Mar 27th, 2004 04:05 PM

Sarentos was superb and Mamas Fish House Outstanding. We hit Mama's for lunch just prior to departing for home. It was the perfect ending of a great trip. While expensive both dinners were probably best ever for my wife and I. The atmosphere at both places really added to the experiance.

Nancy03 Mar 27th, 2004 06:06 PM

What at about Ferraro's at the 4S??? I don't see it mentioned here at all. Is it too new or no good.

karenwnj Mar 29th, 2004 10:45 AM

I am new to the board but wanted to add my thoughts - we absolutely loved Nick's and thought the atmosphere was great - one of the reasons we are staying at the Kea Lani on our return trip in just a few short weeks. For something a bit more casual, we enjoyed Longhi's.