Questions about Magnolia Plantation near Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Charleston in late October, and I'm interested in going to a plantation. From recommendations on Fodor's, I looked at the web site for Magnolia Plantation, and it looks lovely. It lists several options above and beyond the basic admission, and I wondered whether anyone here could give a recommendation about which extras they think are best. The Audobon Swamp Garden looks interesting. I suppose we should do the house tour. What about the Nature Boat or Nature Train? My 75-year-old MIL will be with us, and she doesn't have the same amount of stamina as DH and I, but she does enjoy gardens, historic houses, and hiking. I was wondering if the boat ride or tram might be a good chance for her to sit and rest, but maybe they're not a interesting as the Swamp Garden? I'd appreciate opinions. Also, about how long should we expect our visit to take, not counting any extra tours? Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Topping, hoping for a reply.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM

We adore Magnolia Gardens-- have been there 4 or 5 times on some of our trips to Charleston. As with all gardens, there are certain times of the year when they're more spectacular than at other times, but the grounds of Magnolia are so handsome, and the plantings so varied, that I imagine they're a splendid sight just about always.
I don't think you need to decide in advance just what you'll do when you get there. Once you see the lay of the land (and perhaps depending on what the weather's doing), you'll be better able to determine what's appropriate in the way of touring the various parts of the gardens. A 75 year old in reasonable shape should have no trouble at all walking through the main sections-- and they are so beautiful and rewarding. I think, by the way, that you should figure on about 2 hours to see the main things, though of course one could spend many hours and days relishing such loveliness.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM

To me, the grounds are more memorable than the house. My adult daughter still mimics the guide at the house tour who continually drawled on about such things as, "This is the wedgewood dish Mr....'s (can't remember his name but my daughter can) muther used to serve her best company." etc.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Poss and Julies. I was wondering if the extra things were worth the extra admission fee and time, and, if so, which were the most interesting. I assumed we'd have to decide what to do we buy our basic admission ticket. On the web site where it describes the Nature Boat it says "Please book in advance at either the admissions gate or the office." So we can decide if we want to do one of these extras after we've toured the grounds? Thanks for any clarification about this.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I predict that you'll be pleased just to do the gardens. (I agree with Julies abt the house. We've biked the swamp area, and that's kind of fun, but I don't think it's anywhere near as satisfying as strolling the gardens.) I'm virtually positive that after you enjoy the gardens, if you then decide you want to add one of the other things, you'll have no trouble doing that. There are plenty of rest stops as you stroll, by the way.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

That's really helpful, thanks so much. It's good to know we have options, and don't have to commit to exactly what we want to do when we buy our basic admission.