Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Questions about living in the Tampa area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/questions-about-living-in-the-tampa-area-230506/)

Jenna Jun 12th, 2002 10:59 AM

Questions about living in the Tampa area

I am currently interviewing for job witha large international company. I would be working out of their Tampa office and have questions about living in the area.<BR><BR>I am a 29 yo single female who currently lives in Atlanta and loves it. I am not very outdoorsy but I enjoy shopping, going to the movies, attending sporting events, and cultural activities. Hot weather does not bother me neither does humidity.<BR><BR>I would be working in downtown Tampa and would much prefer to commute 20 minutes or less to work each day and an hour to the beach on weekends than to live near the beach and commute in 40 min or more to work each day. Also I think of myself as more of a city person than a beach dweller and don't see myself living real far out of twon and away from the good malls and restaurants. <BR><BR>I have major questions about areas in Tampa and even though I would be selling my townhouse in Atlanta, I would not want to buy right away if I move. I would be looking to rent an aprtment for 9-12 months first to confirm I like the area before buying. I would want a new modern type apartment complex with a pool (since I won't be by the beach) in a younger area (not all seniors or ever 50s around) and a quick commute (less than 2o min.) to downtown. Your comments are appreciated.

kris Jun 12th, 2002 11:58 AM

You might look in the Hyde Park area of Tampa. They just built a beautiful new apartment complex, very upscale-looking, with a pool, called Madison at So-Ho(www.zomusa.com). It is a bit expensive, about $950/mo. for a 1 bedroom. There are other apartments in the area as well, like the Post Apartments, which are also very nice. Hyde Park has a wonderful shopping area of stores like Williams Sonoma, Restoration Hardware, Chicos, etc., and great restaurants and outdoor cafes. There is a movie theater as well. Also, during the summer, they have outdoor concerts on the last Wed. of the month that attract just about every young single professional in the area! The area around Hyde Park is so-so, but I think they're trying to make it better. And you'd be close to downtown Tampa as well (3-5 min. drive). Check out the area at www.oldhydepark.com and see if it's what you're looking for. Another suggestion is Harbour Island. Good luck!

x Jun 12th, 2002 01:29 PM

try the Brandon area...you can jump on the Crosstown......

Jenna Jun 12th, 2002 01:40 PM

Wow Kris $950/month? That is more expensive than I thought. I thought Tampa had a lower cost of living than Atlanta, am I wrong? Before buying in Atlanta I rented a very nice 1 br in town in Atlanta (a Post property) and only paid $790/month here. That was 2 years ago. I was expecting Tampa to be cheaper than Atlanta and thought I could ge taway with a nice one bedroom for under $750. I saw some apartments on the Northwest side of Tampa south of Carrolwood for $600-$650/month. Why the huge price difference? Is this not a good area or just far away? More help please!

x Jun 12th, 2002 01:45 PM

Brandon is growing in leaps and bounds...it`s a great area for shopping,rest.and all age living..great mall...and the Crosstown takes you into town for all intertainment..but Brandon has that too...my son works downtown too and has a new home about 15 minutes south of Brandon...and loves it there...he`s in his 30`s....and single w/single fiends in their 20`s and 30`s....they live in that area and Rocky Point(closer to the beach but am traffic)...

x Jun 12th, 2002 01:48 PM

Carrolwood was the in place..now it`s New Tampa.....I think you could find some cheaper places.try Tampa Bay online for a relocator guide..

x Jun 12th, 2002 02:38 PM

Jenna,try the TampaTribune.com--go to the gray section on the left side and count down to the 10th line..it`s the Relocation area..good advice and all I think you`d need to know..you`ll have traffic on any area unless it`s really early or late..there are some bad areas so be careful...my son lived in Temple Terrace for awhile till his house was built.at Riverchase Appt`s...we thought they were nice and reasonable...I`ll be glad to help if I can...I suggested Brandon before for you....Olive Oyl(aka) posts alot here and she might be of real help.let`s hope she sees your post..my son has been there for 6 years and my Mom and Dad lived there for years...hate to see a young one on their own w/no help.....

xxx Jun 12th, 2002 02:47 PM

Duh, come on Jenna. Surely coming from Atlanta you must know that while maybe you pay $790 a month, there are thousands of apartments in Atlanta that go for $1500 and more. Some people pay $2500 a month for an apartment. Would you be so naive as to say, "wow, why the huge price difference?" It's very simple. It's called "location -location-location". In addition, there are standard apartments, nice apartments, and luxury apartments.

OliveOyl Jun 12th, 2002 03:26 PM

Jeanna, I'm sorry I have absolutely no idea what apartment rentals are here, but can tell you that real estate is sky high. <BR><BR>Hyde Park is a great area for young singles, as is Rocky Point which someone else mentioned. Rocky Point has Post apartments and is on the water (Tampa Bay). Fun restaurant is right there (Bahama Breeze) with a happy hour so popular we've given up trying to go for dinner. The best and newest of our malls, International Plaza with Neimans, Nordstrom, L&T, anchoring, is no more than 10 minutes from Rocky Point...and that's with traffic. Lots of new restaurants and a few fun bars have also come into International Plaza. <BR><BR>Not quite sure what Kris means my the area around Hyde Park being only so-so. So-so for activity and night life probably. Heck...it's got Bayshore on one side, New Suburb Beautiful on another so from that standpoint, there's nothing shabby south of Swann Ave, but it's almost all residential, so quiet. There are some new places poppoing up along Howard that also seem to be popular with your age group. It's an expensive area. Housing will probably start at $400K and work up to a million just blocks down the street along Bayshore. There are still tiny pockets within Hyde Park that aren't so high...yet. This area (all of Tampa) has undergone quite the real estate boom and it's not over yet.<BR><BR>We live in the Hyatt Westshore one traffic light in from Rocky Point. I travel almost downtown (into Hyde Park) every morning during rush hour, and usually can make it in 12 minutes (got it down pat :)) IF traffic is flowing and that's leaving here at 8:45. If not, then it can be 20-25. Normally it's not a bad drive, and all interstate. I had jury duty this week so had to get into the middle of downtown by 8 each morning...it took me only 20 minutes garage to garage both days. (This would be your approximate drive time if you lived on Rocky Point). <BR><BR>We lived in Savannah a few years ago. I thought I knew heat and humidity too. I knew nothing!! It is REALLY hot here 5 mos of the year, but the remaining months are beautiful.<BR><BR>As for cost of living, keep in mind FL has no state income tax. You will get a chance to look this place over and evaluate it from a quality of life standpoint first I hope! Hope this has helped a little, and good luck with the job decision.