Reload this Page >

Questions about Feb trip to Seattle/Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:06 AM
jane

I have read through the previous posts about the area, and would like some more opinions. I will fly into Seattle mid Feb, and have 10 days. I am definitely going to Vancouver, and am thinking of a couple of days in Whistler. Should I skip Mt St Helens/Hurricane Ridge etc if I can get to Whistler? Which is better for scenery etc- Victoria or San Juan Is for a day trip, I have already travelled England extensively, so I am looking for somewhere that is typically Northwest. I know that the weather will be bad, but will it prevent me from sightseeing(bitter cold, snow? storms?)

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 10:45 AM
ALF

I don't think that Mt. St. Helens is worth visiting in February, unless you are a cross-country skier. The road to Hurrican Ridge is well-plowed during the winter, and it is a neat place to visit, particularly if you are into cross-country skiing. If I were you, I would go to Vancouver, which has lots of interesting things to see and do, then take a day or two to visit Whistler. Its a great time to go if you ski, but there is still lots to do if you don't. You can take the Whistler gondola up to the 'Roundhouse', where there are great views. You could also take the gondola up Grouse Mtn, just outside of Vancouver. You can then take a BC ferry from Horseshoe Bay (just north of Vancouver) or Tsawassen (just to the south) to Vancouver Island and Victoria. While this city is very interesting in many ways, it will probably annoy you a little, as it fancies itself to be a little piece of old England (double-decker buses, tea rooms, etc.). From there, you could take the Washington State ferry through the San Juan Islands to Anacortes, which is a couple of hours north of Seattle. You might even want to stay on San Juan Island or Orcas Island for a night along the way. Another option would be to take the Black Ball Line ferry to Port Angeles, which will put you right at the foot of Hurricane Ridge. You could then drive down the Pacific Coast, which might have some spectacular waves on the beaches. The Hoh Rainforest would be a great place to visit, before you loop back towards Olympia. One other choice would be to visit Mt. Rainier, which will be open up to Paradise, where there is a great visitors center and wonderful views. The weather across the Pacific Northwest is always 'iffy' in February, but the lowlands are generally snow-free. You should definitely expect rain, but it usually isn't heavy. Temperatures should hover in the upper 30s-low 40s. There is the chance for heavy snow at higher elevations. Have fun!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Kelly

I agree with another reply - I much prefer Vancouver to Victoria. Whistler is a charming village and the mountains, and the drive there, is very scenic. I've lived in Seattle about 13 years and it's a great place. I would skip Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens at this time of year, and probably even skip Hurricane Ridge. But if you do go to Hurricane Ridge, just a little west of Port Angeles (the town near H-Ridge) is Lake Crescent, which is one of my favorite places. Pt. Townsend, not too far away but east of Pt. Angeles, is a charming Victorian town also. The ferries through the San Juan Islands would be nice, or even just a ferry somewhere from Seattle. Depends on how much city vs. country time you want. The weather here is fairly mild. It might be rainy, but often is just a drizzle. Doesn't stop ya' from doing anything, but could have a big impact on any views. When it's clear here, it is stunning! I'd recommend time in downtown Seattle - esp. Pike Place Market and good restaurants.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Kelly

I was just going to add a couple comments. The other person mentioned the Hoh Rain Forest, which is great. But I'd recommend Lake Crescent, do the easy trail hike into Marymere Falls, but then turn around back toward Pt. Angeles. I would NOT drive around the entire Peninsula, or bother going all the way to the "official" Hoh Rain Forest entrance. It's a lot of driving, and mostly in trees, not like you are seeing great ocean views or anything.

If you had lots of time, I WOULD recommend driving the Oregon Coast, which is full of charming towns and the highway is all along the ocean.

Another nice place is Whidbey Island, just an hour north of Seattle. IT has some cute towns and great water views, wildlife, etc. We stayed at the Log Castle B&B once, which is an awesome house right on the channel. While there, we saw eagles on their property, whales out the window, and other stuff. And the host/hostess were great. They were southerners, but the place is owned by an old US Senator.

Have fun!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Kelly

Sorry, me again! What I didn't say is that Lake Crescent and Marymere Falls are in the rain forest, it's just much closer than driving all the way around to the official Hoh RF entrance.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Kelly

I keep thinking of more things. If you REALLY want to go to Vancouver and Whistler, than you should. But you need to factor in possibly a long wait getting through the border, which always puts a dampers on things, esp. on vacation when time is tight. There is a darling seaside town just over the border called White Rock, British Columbia. Another option would be to take Amtrak from Seattle up to Vancouver, and I think it goes up to Whistler. It's great scenery, the trains are nice with dining car and sometimes a movie. It's a great trip!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:30 PM
klam

Jane, can't complain about the quality of the replies you've got so far...especially from ALF! What good stuff! I just want to add, yes, make the trip to Vancouver. You've got 10 days. I think you will find it worth it, I'd do the Olympic Pen. like the others suggest, and skip Victoria. To whoever got to stay at the Log Castle...you BUM!! ;P We were daytripping once and decided to stay for a few days cuz the area was so amazing...we knocked on that great door of theirs. While they were full, they brought us in, and helped us find a place with their b&b directory, gave us suggestions on what they new about the owners, and even let us use their phone. They told us about their place...even gave us a little tour of it! Wonderful people and a fabulous place. I've always wanted to go back just to stay there...

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:48 PM
Jane

I just wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful in-depth advice, it will make the trip much easier to plan.