Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Question for New Orleans Fodorites. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/question-for-new-orleans-fodorites-643943/)

wildbill Sep 3rd, 2006 06:39 AM

Question for New Orleans Fodorites.

Since there has been so much in the news about Katrina on the anniversary, I'm once again wondering about old friends and how they made out last year.

Not travel related, but can anyone tell me about the area west of David ( Soniat Canal) , between Canal #4 to the north and W Metairie Ave to the south?
I had friends long ago in who lived in this area and I've thought of them often and wondered how bad this area is.

I'd appreciate any information.

Dan Sep 4th, 2006 04:19 AM

I don't know that area specifically but Metairie overall came out okay. The houses that flooded had water which came in and then back out rather quickly. It didn't sit for days like in Orleans.

wildbill Sep 4th, 2006 03:41 PM

Thank you, Dan. It sounds like my old friends might have made out ok. I sure hope so. This gives me hope, and maybe someday I'll know for sure that they are ok.

BayouGal Sep 4th, 2006 03:46 PM

Like Dan, I'm not familiar with that exact area, however my brother-in-law lived there pre-Katrina, so I have left him a message asking your question. I will get back to you~

wildbill Sep 5th, 2006 02:14 PM

Thanks BayouGal. I'll be anxious to hear.

BayouGal Sep 5th, 2006 03:46 PM

Wildbill, he said the closer to the river, the better. Which is true for my neighborhood too. He said there was mainly roof damage in the area you are talking about, but not much flooding. David Drive already had areas of sinking, so it really depends on whether they are up high instead of in a valley created by sinking if they flooded.

Now, isn't that as clear as the Mississippi?

wildbill Sep 6th, 2006 03:07 PM

BayouGal, thank you very much. I certainly hope they are ok.
They were west of David Drive and I know their nieghborhood had areas that were badly sunken before Katrina.
SO does that mean these people were able to stay in their homes?

Yes clear as the Ole Mississippi !

BayouGal Sep 6th, 2006 03:14 PM

Yes, as Dan said too, few of the homes in Metairie were as devastated as those in the city and St. Bernard. Your friends may have evacuated but were probably able to return to minimal damage, comparatively speaking of course. Structural damage is devastating, but we are speaking in terms houses being flooded for weeks in the "flooded" areas.

BayouGal Sep 6th, 2006 03:15 PM

Do you want me to look them up in the phone book? You could give them a call.
[email protected]

wildbill Sep 12th, 2006 04:39 AM

BayouGal, Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, I was away for a few days.
Thanks for the additional information. Sounds like they might be ok. Whew!!
I did look up their name in the phone book , but didn't see them. They were friends along time ago, and so I'm sure they've moved elsewhere a long time ago.
I'm not really wantiang to strike up the friendship again, but was worried about them.
Thanks for your help. It's good to hear that some areas were not so badly affected.