Question abt Desert Pearl Inn near Zion

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question abt Desert Pearl Inn near Zion

We'll be doing a Zion,Bryce,Grand Canyon (north rim) trip in a few weeks. We're staying in the park at Bryce and Grand, but since we'd read such good things about Desert Pearl Inn, we booked them for 3 nights for our Zion part of the trip. HOWEVER: I've had occasion to telephone them a couple of times in the last week, and each time they were curt and very unhelpful (e.g. I was asking abt making dinner reservations in advance at a couple of the restaurants in town, and they were very snappy). I really am not interested in staying somewhere (and giving my money) where the staff is unhelpful and discourteous. I'd appreciate hearing if anyone has had either good or bad (hopefully good!) experience with Desert Pearl Inn. (I think the main off-putting person's name was Heidi. Does anyone know if she's the manager?) Thank you! (Also, any suggestions for those areas also much appreciated. E.g. what was your favorite restaurant in the Zion area. What abt St. George?) Again-- thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Just do a search on the Desert Pearl on Fodor's and you'll find tons of reports - many recent. Also check tripadvisor. Lots of reports there too. I honestly can't remember if I've seen a bad review. I'll be there in a week or so and I promise I'll write a report.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:47 PM

We stayed at the Desert Pearl last summer and in addition to loving our fabulous room , we felt the place was managed extremely well. I noticed the hot tub and pool was cleaned daily. The maid spent forever thoroughly cleaning our room. The grounds are manicured and well groomed. I really had no encounters with the people in front desk simply because I had no reason , due to being totally satisfied with my environment. Maybe, the person on the phone was just having a bad day . Whoops, I just noticed you said a couple of times. Anyway, I think you should stay at the Desert Pearl. It's wonderful. We also, loved a restaurant and I'm terrible with names but, I think it was called the "Bit n Spur" something like that. It was reasonably priced and wonderful. We ate also, at Flanigans(forgot the name of that one, seems like it had the word dog in it) and although the food was great, we felt it was too expensive . Hope this helps and have a great trip!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:48 PM

It's been three years, but when we got to the Desert Pearl Inn at the beginning of our southwest trip, we nearly cancelled the rest so we could stay the entire time at DPI in Zion! It was lovely, service was great, Zion is beautiful---really the perfect mix of being so close to the park,and yet in a very comfortable place. The room was the size of a large suite, and the price was so very reasonable! Pool was sparkling and warm. Grounds well maintained. Restaurants around were all good. For a casual meal after hiking, try the pizza place that is in a building that used to be a mormon church...can't remember the name. Local favorite.

Desert Pearl is on our short list to return to with a group of family friends!
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Stayed one night at The Desert Pearl in August this year. Didn't have a reservation and the two young women at the front desk when I struggled in from the 100 degree heat were very friendly and helpful. We were given a riverside room on the top floor. My husband went on and on about how much he liked the room.

We ate at the pizza place that the other poster mentioned was in an old Mormon church. It is very much a locals eatery, which in my book is a good thing. Our meals were very good - plus a HUGE mug of draft beer.

Back to The Desert Pearl - the only person I can think of who might have been less than welcoming whom you might have spoken to is a woman I dealt with in the "gift shop/coffee bar". I was up early - 6:15ish - and was loitering around waiting for the coffee bar to open and when it did the woman manning the bar was less than friendly (chilly even) - too early maybe?? Anyway, other than that everyone was very nice. Didn't swim in the pool as there was a huge family using it (at least 15 people splashing about). That is one of the reasons to try to get a riverside room - very quiet.

Don't be put off by whomever you spoke with ... you'll find a place to eat (its a pretty small town).
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Stayed there a few weeks ago and I concur with all the above; dont let that one person put you off staying there. When we checked in the staff was very friendly, the check out was the same, the fellow in the gift shop as well.
What I do recall was when I called to make my reservation the person taking it seemed to have difficulty understanding that my address (Canadian) didnt "conform" to her idea of an address: ie: asking for state and zip code and not getting that we have letters in our "zip" codes. And couldnt get my last name right, I finally gave up and sure enough when I checked in it was not spelled correctly. But this certainly didnt stop me from going. I just figured it was a young summer employee, unfamiliar with areas outside the US. This didnt strike me as a reason to stay away. However, she wasn't snappy, just was getting very frustrated as I calmly explained that we dont have only numbers in our postal codes and she really seemed to think I was just giving her a hard time or something. At the time I didnt appreciate the lack of knowledge or lack of understanding even after I explained it. She just was frustrated that I couldnt supply her with what she was thinking my responses should be. I remember thinking that I would mention this to a manager when I got there, but I forgot all about it. I am sorry you have encountered possbily the same type of thing, but it doesnt appear to be the norm though.
I certainly never encountered any other issue like this at all while staying there. Very friendly reception all around so I would say: GO and enjoy!
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:16 AM

We just returned from the Desert Pearl this week and I can confirm it was an outstanding property. We were treated with courtesy by everyone we encountered. It is definitely the best place in Springdale and every detail is covered to make your stay perfect. Have a great time.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Eva

Stayed there last year and love the place. it is a wonderful place to stay. Funny though, I remember thinking the people at the desk were a bit curt. We tried to check in an hour early and they were a bit rude about it as though it was a preposterous idea.

Something else annoyed me about the attitude at the desk but I forget what it was--though I remember wen we checked out the same woman could not have been nicer. I remember this because I made a comment to my husband regarding how sweet she had suddenly become.

But again, we did love the place.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I LOVE the Desert Pearl! Its truly a TREASURE in the desert. Everything about it is special, including the front desk staff. They were VERY cordial and one had a particularly great sense of humor, too! And on top of all that, it's moderately priced with spectacular Zion canyon views! When can i go back??!!
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 03:59 PM

I made reservations there recently for next year - through Heidi. She was very nice ...so maybe she had a bad day when you talked to her? Based on all other posts, don't worry and enjoy your stay there.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much to all who responded!